Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Fog lights draining battery?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
kevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt., Stinger missile gunner, 86-94
kevine's Tacoma Gallery
Fog lights draining battery?

I just installed fog lights and per the instructions, I ran the red/hot wire directly to the battery, rather than through the light relay/circuit. I keep them off when not in use, but will having them wired straight to the battery cause any drainage on the battery, even when they are off (with car off too)?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If they are not on, there should be no drain.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
When I first followed the directions I ran it straight off the battery. I realized the light on the on/off switch would stay on which made me nervous. I suppose if yours stayed on too that little light could slowly drain it?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
kevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt., Stinger missile gunner, 86-94
kevine's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Chris, for the boost in my confidence. Since it's a toggle switch, I'm assuming it cuts off power thus, no drain. As far as the switch staying on, it's pretty secure in the on/off position, so I'm not too worried. I only wish the switch lit up when on, that way, when I'm getting out of my truck, I can see if it's accidentally left on. Oh well, I'll just have to be careful.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
Thanks Chris, for the boost in my confidence. Since it's a toggle switch, I'm assuming it cuts off power thus, no drain. As far as the switch staying on, it's pretty secure in the on/off position, so I'm not too worried. I only wish the switch lit up when on, that way, that way, when I'm getting out of my truck, I can see if it were accidentally left on. Oh well, I'll just have to be careful.
If you want, you can run a lit switch with a relay, getting its power from the marker lights, that way, when the headlights or marker light are turned on, the switch will illuminate, and allow use if the off road lights. AND, if you forget to turn them off, they will turn off with the headlights, preventing any battery drain.