Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

One of my HID's isn't working

Old 08-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
One of my HID's isn't working

My left HID headlight (h4) works part-time, that is sometimes it comes on and sometimes it doesnt. I'm gonna try and switch bulbs and see if thats it but was wondering if anybody else had this problem or had an idea of whats wrong? Theyve been working fine all along (for a week) untill now. Checked the wiring and nothings frayed, cut, caught, or loose, and all connections are tight. Fried bulb maybe?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
If your HID kit is aftermarket, this is bound to happen to at least 90% of them.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
If your HID kit is aftermarket, this is bound to happen to at least 90% of them.
Aren't all HID kits aftermarket? And why does it happen to all of them?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Any sort of intermittent problem is usually the fault of the lamp or the relay. Thankfully, the relay is cheaper.
lamp meaning bulb right? and my relay is attached to the hi/low controller which means I would pretty much just have to get a whole new h4 kit (w/o bulbs)?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Robtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really nice

Name: Robert
Robtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Wen I berly installed mine it would do that allso... then I found out it wasn't getting ground good... so maybe that's ur problem as well
Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Hi
will try that tomorrow. thanks. hopefully it is that. these lights kick ass...that is, when they work.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #8
Robtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really nice

Robtrd's Tacoma Gallery
If thats not the problem then jus take everything off and put it bak on again lol
Old 08-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Probably blown ballast. Most likely the ballast is bad.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #10

Robtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
I dought it cuzz he says the light turns on and sometimes it dosent... so if it was the ballast the light wouldn't turn on at all... but I could be wrong
Old 08-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
P. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to behold

P. Bauer's Tacoma Gallery
You have to GROUND it really well.

scrape the paint if you have to, make sure the contact is good, not having a good ground is a real issue with aftermarket HID kits.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
Hi
I havent been able to make sure ground connections are good as Ive been hella busy but I got around to wondering, if the ground connection was bad/poor wouldnt both lights have problems? Because Ground---> HI/LOW Controlle---> 2 Lights, so technically the ground would affect both lights, no?

Am I missing something here?

And how do I know if my ground connection is "good"?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
get some extra length of wire, some solder, heat shrink tube, and a connector end that will fit around the bolt for your ground cable on the battery, and ground DIRECT to the battrey ground. should solve most if not all of your hid issues.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Aren't all HID kits aftermarket? And why does it happen to all of them?
No, mine aren't. I have Philips OEM bulbs and Denso ballasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Not likely, the bulb is still getting power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
I havent been able to make sure ground connections are good as Ive been hella busy but I got around to wondering, if the ground connection was bad/poor wouldnt both lights have problems? Because Ground---> HI/LOW Controlle---> 2 Lights, so technically the ground would affect both lights, no?

Am I missing something here?

And how do I know if my ground connection is "good"?
Your ground is OK if the HID kit works. You are right, if the ground was bad, both of them would be on/off together. Try switching the bulbs and see if the problem follows the bulb.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Take the lamp from the other side that you know works and plug it into the side you're having problems with. If it fires fine, its a bad lamp, if it flickers its a bad relay.

Everyone is making this way harder then it should be.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Take the lamp from the other side that you know works and plug it into the side you're having problems with. If it fires fine, its a bad lamp, if it flickers its a bad relay.

Everyone is making this way harder then it should be.
If it flickers, it's the bulb. Relays either work or they don't. There's no in between where they would cause the bulb to flicker. Even if it would, it would cause both to flicker. But, as I stated, the relay would not cause it to flicker.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #17
Hi
I pulled up behind another truck the other day and was flipping my lights on/off to see when it would turn on and I noticed it would always flicker, but only actually turn on sometimes. However, I switched the bulbs today and the problem did not follow the bulb. Im guessing its a faulty balast. Not transfering all the power needed maybe?

I doubt it could be the relay b/c, like I said b4, relay is connected to HI/LOW controller which affects both sides, but my left side isnt being affected, only the right.

Im gonna call DDM tuning tomorrow. Hopefully they dont give me a hard time about getting them to ship me a new one.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #19
Hi
Quote:
If it didn't follow the lamp.. its the lamp.. not the ballast.
huh? Why would it be the lamp if the lamp works with the other ballast. Both lamps work perfectly fine, given that theyre plugged into my left ballast.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #20
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
I have HIDs too. For a while my right headlight was flickering and shaking. Haven't really noticed it lately.