1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Bumper Running Lights/Relay Problem

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by GrummanDriver, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Aug 29, 2009 at 11:35 PM
    GrummanDriver

GrummanDriver [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Helena MT
    ARB Bumper
    I put an ARB bumper on my 05 Taco after doing four thousand dollars worth when I hit a deer, the deer got up and ran off by the way. I hooked up the ARB installed running lights inline with the trucks harness. After about 5 minutes, either the right or the left running lights will go out, both the trucks and the ARB's. My guess is that a relay in the system can't handle the extra load because if I recycle the lighting by turning the headlight switch on then off, the running lights will come back on, but, for a progressively shorter time. I called ARB and they basically said its all in my head, I gave up and disconnected the ARB bumper lights but it would be nice to have them on. Any ideas where I might find the relay that handles this circuit? Do you think I am on the right track? I called a local custom guy and he told me he would be glad to wire in a separate relay for a little less than a 100 bucks. Really? I don't need em that bad. Thanks for reading my ramble.

2. Aug 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    If it were me I'd just run a seperate relay for those lights using your parking lamps (I assume that's what you are calling "running lights") to trip the relay.

You can pick up a simple 4 pole 30 amp relay anywhere...Wal-Mart, AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, Radio Shack, etc. Also pick up a fuse holder and 15 amp fuse and some 14 gauge wire (that should be plenty big enough) and some crimp terminal connectors.

Most relays have the following pole labels, #30, #87, #85, #86.

#30 - (+) Goes to the battery. I'd put a 15 amp fuse on this lead, as close to the battery as possible.
    #86 - (-) Ground for the relay.
    #85 - (+) Lead to parking lamps.
    #87 - (+) Lead to your new bumper lights.

Now your new bumper lights will work with your stock parking lamps.

Here's a simple diagram. Just pretend that the foglights in the diagram are your new running lights. Also just ignore the whole switch thing. #85 will just go straight to your stock parking lamps.

CLICK ---> http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/foglites.htm

3. Aug 31, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    GrummanDriver

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Helena MT
    ARB Bumper
    Thanks for the reply and the info, I guess they would be parking lamps, I hadn't thought about that since they are on all the time. I kind of figured that would be what would have to happen, I was hoping to replace the relay with one that would handle the extra work and not have extra wires hanging around. I'll give it a go.

Now, can you tell me how to get 30 miles to the gallon out of this thing?

4. Aug 31, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    that anchor you just bolted to the front end wont help lol

5. Aug 31, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    GrummanDriver

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Helena MT
    ARB Bumper
    Until Deer Radar comes out I am low on options....

6. Aug 31, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    i meant for getting 30mpg it wont help.. looks awesome though!

7. Aug 31, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    After reading your post again....are you talking about the DRL's? If that's the case you have 2 options: either run the #85 lead to the parking lamps as I mentioned or you can run it to the DRL's. If you choose the DRL's your new bumper lights will come when you turn the key on and flash with your turn signals. The problem is, they will shut off when you turn on your headlights, as the DRL's do.

I'd stick with the parking lamp circuit if it were me.

8. Jun 15, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    shawns

shawns Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
    Having same issue on my 2010. My drl and blinker is one in the same. They keep randomly shutting off one side or the other or all.

9. Jun 15, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    shawns

shawns Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Tuscaloosa, Al.
    I know this is an old thread but this may help someone solved. Several folks had same issue. Replace bumper 30watt bulbs with sylvan 12 watt bulbs and it won't overload circuit.

WebberLander likes this.
  10. Jun 30, 2020 at 5:10 PM
    WebberLander

WebberLander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    Very old thread, but have to give it a bump b/c I just installed my ARB bumper and ran into this issue. Changing to a 12 watt bulb solved my problem as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top