Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Problems with HID bulb installed in factory reflector?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Problems with HID bulb installed in factory reflector?

How do people feel about HID's in our headlights? I have read that by installing a HID kit into a reflector built for halogen it is dangerous for oncoming traffic. Is this true? I have also read that it is illegal. Is this true as well?

I think the look and light output of HID's is awesome. I just don't want to blind anyone or risk getting pulled over.

Is there a way around this other than changing headlights?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean by a shield?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...s/Hid/HID.html
Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Oh yeah!
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
That is a pretty good read. This is exactly what I was thinking about. All the pics I have seem on here don't really show what he is talking about. However, they are just pics.

If we could get somebody who did the HID mod to chime that would be great!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
I love my kit. I have some shadows, but after aiming my bulbs and tweaking them I don't seem to have any problems. I'll find out more when I go for an inspection next year. Either way I should pass because its about who ya know. If I fail it takes two seconds to put the old ones in to pass, and switch it back when I get home. I'm not concerned, people don't usually get pulled over for headlights near me, they worry more about tint. All n all I'm not very concerned.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Tremelune is on a distinguished road

Tremelune's Tacoma Gallery
Uh...From the very informative article:

The only safe and legitimate HID retrofit is one that replaces the entire headlamp
Old 10-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Notice the shield behind this HID capsule:

Old 10-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
I think h4 kits comes with a shield, well at least mine did.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
Notice the shield behind this HID capsule:

The H4s come with a shield because they are bi-xenon. the big opening you see facing you in the picture is for the low beams. it faces up and reflects light off the top of the reflector and down and the shield blocks light from hitting the bottom the reflector and up. The little bubble in the middle of the bulb is the light source for the HID. When you hit the high beams a solenoid in the base pulls the bulb in and moves that bubble light source into that little window you see in the back. This allows light to hit the bottom of the reflector and light goes high for high beams. I have a setup just like this and they seem to produce a decent cut off. I never get flashed.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
I think h4 kits comes with a shield, well at least mine did.
It depends on where you get it.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
slimcubby's group buy has the shield with it
Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
bootboiler has a spectacular aura aboutbootboiler has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Suppo
bootboiler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
The H4s come with a shield because they are bi-xenon. the big opening you see facing you in the picture is for the low beams. it faces up and reflects light off the top of the reflector and down and the shield blocks light from hitting the bottom the reflector and up. The little bubble in the middle of the bulb is the light source for the HID. When you hit the high beams a solenoid in the base pulls the bulb in and moves that bubble light source into that little window you see in the back. This allows light to hit the bottom of the reflector and light goes high for high beams. I have a setup just like this and they seem to produce a decent cut off. I never get flashed.
Just what I was looking for, shield down... Thanks..
Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post

LOL... now look at the "big hole" for high beams on that bulb, and the precision of a factory halogen bulb. Is there any doubt that those kits, even with the shield, aren't completely sloppy?

I like the attitude though of the guy skirting inspection. Nice.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Yes... its illegal in all 50 states. People are always suprised when I tell them I pulled them over for illegal headlights. The ones I give tickets to are even more supprised. I used to be on a HID ticketing spree... now I save it for people who blind me. I especially hate Tacoma fogs with HIDs... worse glare than the headlights.

HID tickets are not real high on my list of things to stop people for because it does not have a high correlation to being a turd. Big rims, obvious gang related stickers and hats, and Cadillacs driven by non old people are much more attractive targets.