Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Tailgate Lightbars

Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
TacomaCountry09 is on a distinguished road
TacomaCountry09's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate Lightbars

Was looking into purchasing a tailgate lightbar with all the features (running lights, turn signals, and reverse) to install on my 09 Taco. Any pros or cons? Does the adhesive backing really hold? Is there any models you recommend? Can it be hardwired to free up the trailer harness jack?
Thanks in Advance
Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold
Name: Justin
04coma's Tacoma Gallery
i heard adhesive gives way after time but thats kinda a given im bout to buy a plasma glow fire and ice bar for my truck and the place im gettin it from is lookin in to hard wiring it for me
Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
I have orderd alot of lights and leds from these guys and there products are top notch. I have seen this light bar installed and it is great. It is narrow enough not to interfere with the spare tire hole and attaches with 3M tape that is included. It works off of the four prong trailer light plug or you can hard wire it to the light on the drivers side. It is a little more expensive then most but you get what you pay for.

http://www.oznium.com/led-tailgate
Old 09-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
yea these things are pretty good, and if you get one that has reverse lights too that a plus!
Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Railwayrog is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Retired Chief Electricians Mate
Railwayrog's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the Plasmaglow Firestorm, the only is issue is accessing the spare tire. I mounted it with wire ties to the top of the bumper. It might seem cheesy but this allows a simpler way to get at the access hole. I could then quickly wire tie it back up. As far as theft it's hard to see it there when its not lit so I'm not worried about theft. I hard wired it.

http://www.plasmaglow.com/catalog/pr...products_id=60
Old 09-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
i have the recon light bar on my truck and my dad has it on his truck with no problems. mine as been on for a year and and his at least 2
Old 09-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
MDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kohler
MDBigRed's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Pacer light bar that has been great! No LED's have failed and install was easy. I put 4 screws on mine just to make sure it doesn't fall off. Mine is wired (spliced) into my trailer harness. FYI any light bar is going to block your spare tire access point above the license plate, so i simply notched a square out above the light to maintain the access. of course i don't have a spare anymore
Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #8
Protected by GSD security systems
Nimbus 2008 is on a distinguished road

Nimbus 2008's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Fire and Ice bar on my truck, looks and works great.

The kids at my local Best Buy I know well, so I paid them to install it for me. Took about half an hour. I didn't have it screwed on (yet, will if it slips) it was installed Jan last year and is still sticking strongly.

I chose to have it appear when breaking rather then keep it running while main lights are on. My truck is a darker colour and the blast of sudden red light keeps people from tailgating really well. When shifting into reverse out of a parking space people jump to get out of the way too, no questioning you're backing up.

I bought mine from realtruck.com. You buy it from them, but it's shipped from the company that makes it... mine arrived snapped in half. Realtruck.com has awesome customer service, however the makers of the bar's customer service could care less about shipping damage - they even tried to blame me even though I was only asking for replacment... It was a huge hassle having it replaced so buyer beware there. If it wasn't for realtruck.com backing me I would have been screwed.

Anyway, the only downside is you hardly ever get to see it. I was just tonight admiring mine in a storefront window just to make sure all was working well, and it is. I love it!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
black cloud is on a distinguished road
Marines: SGT. 3rd LAAM
Name: Paul
black cloud's Tacoma Gallery
A recon light bar after it is installed it can be removed from the stick on strips with a
screw driver allowing access to the spare tire.