1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate Lightbars

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TacomaCountry09, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Sep 5, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    TacomaCountry09

TacomaCountry09 [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange County NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    Was looking into purchasing a tailgate lightbar with all the features (running lights, turn signals, and reverse) to install on my 09 Taco. Any pros or cons? Does the adhesive backing really hold? Is there any models you recommend? Can it be hardwired to free up the trailer harness jack?
    Thanks in Advance

2. Sep 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM
    04coma

04coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Temple Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 trd offroad sr5 prerunner debadged
    air aid intake and throttle body spacer billet grill clear corner lights and 3rdbrake decal "coma" :)
    i heard adhesive gives way after time but thats kinda a given im bout to buy a plasma glow fire and ice bar for my truck and the place im gettin it from is lookin in to hard wiring it for me

3. Sep 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    I have orderd alot of lights and leds from these guys and there products are top notch. I have seen this light bar installed and it is great. It is narrow enough not to interfere with the spare tire hole and attaches with 3M tape that is included. It works off of the four prong trailer light plug or you can hard wire it to the light on the drivers side. It is a little more expensive then most but you get what you pay for.

http://www.oznium.com/led-tailgate

4. Sep 5, 2009 at 11:21 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    yea these things are pretty good, and if you get one that has reverse lights too that a plus!

5. Sep 7, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    Railwayrog

Railwayrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dammeron Valley, UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC 4x4 Off Road
    I installed the Plasmaglow Firestorm, the only is issue is accessing the spare tire. I mounted it with wire ties to the top of the bumper. It might seem cheesy but this allows a simpler way to get at the access hole. I could then quickly wire tie it back up. As far as theft it's hard to see it there when its not lit so I'm not worried about theft. I hard wired it.

http://www.plasmaglow.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=60

6. Sep 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    i have the recon light bar on my truck and my dad has it on his truck with no problems. mine as been on for a year and and his at least 2

7. Sep 10, 2009 at 3:31 AM
    Nimbus 2008

Nimbus 2008 Protected by GSD security systems

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    LED light bar
    I have the Fire and Ice bar on my truck, looks and works great.

The kids at my local Best Buy I know well, so I paid them to install it for me. Took about half an hour. I didn't have it screwed on (yet, will if it slips) it was installed Jan last year and is still sticking strongly.

I chose to have it appear when breaking rather then keep it running while main lights are on. My truck is a darker colour and the blast of sudden red light keeps people from tailgating really well. When shifting into reverse out of a parking space people jump to get out of the way too, no questioning you're backing up.

I bought mine from realtruck.com. You buy it from them, but it's shipped from the company that makes it... mine arrived snapped in half. Realtruck.com has awesome customer service, however the makers of the bar's customer service could care less about shipping damage - they even tried to blame me even though I was only asking for replacment... It was a huge hassle having it replaced so buyer beware there. If it wasn't for realtruck.com backing me I would have been screwed.

Anyway, the only downside is you hardly ever get to see it. I was just tonight admiring mine in a storefront window just to make sure all was working well, and it is. I love it!

8. Oct 3, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    black cloud

black cloud New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09SR5 doublecab
    A recon light bar after it is installed it can be removed from the stick on strips with a
    screw driver allowing access to the spare tire.

Products Discussed in

To Top