1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

courtesy/entry lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by totmacher, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Sep 10, 2009 at 11:26 PM
    totmacher

totmacher [OP] automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    Spent the day trying to get the wiring just right and had to scrap my original plan because I couldn't get the right signal. But, I finally got an exterior light to sync with the dome light so when I unlock using the keyless entry fob, I get exterior light in addition to the dome light (normal operation is dome light only). It actually comes on any time the dome light does.

pics attached.
    It's just 1 very bright LED mounted into the bottom of the driver side mirror arm. Pics were taken inside my garage with doors shut and all other lights out.

Light-on-rearview2.jpg
    Light-on-sideview.jpg

2. Sep 10, 2009 at 11:27 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Great job! looks great.

3. Sep 10, 2009 at 11:46 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    thats sweet man! do a full writeup if you can

4. Sep 11, 2009 at 4:07 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    thats cool looking!

5. Sep 11, 2009 at 4:09 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    writeup! writeup! lol what kind of LED did u use?

6. Sep 11, 2009 at 4:44 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Please tell us what brand name and type model number for the LED light, also will you have a few more photos where did you tap the power signal wire from. This will be a great help. Thanks

7. Sep 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    totmacher

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    The light is from Oznium. It's a white "pre-wired superflux 4-chip LED". Cost $2.99 each I think. I've got some red ones under the dash to light the floor. Very bright lights. It only took 1 of the red ones to light up the floorboards (1 on driver side + 1 on passenger).

The short description is that I drilled a 5/16" hole in the mirror bracket (wallowed slightly until I had a snug fit for the LED housing). Used a sharp knife to carefully nick the sleeve covering the power mirror wires and fed my LED wires through the sleeve until they came out near the mirror plug. Fed the wires through the door and into the kick panel under the dash (just followed the other bundle of wires and taped/tied to it so my wires wouldn't get cought on the window when it lowered). Then fed wires up into the pillar and into the headliner at the dome light. Had to remove the trim on the pillar (grab handle too) and along the top of the door (so I could pull down the edge of the headliner). Then I soldered my LED wires to the dome light bulb contacts. I also put an inline 4 amp fuse on my lights. The dome itself is fused with a 7.5A in the main fusebox but I felt better fusing my own work too just in case. I put my fuse holder behind the grab handle trim on the pillar.

Oh, I put a few layers of heavy duty electrical tape on the metal support bar that crosses the roof directly above the dome light. This is so that my wires don't get rubbed and eventually short there because my wires do stick out of the back side of the dome housing right where the metal bar is in the roof. I put a piece of tape directly over the wire on the housing as well.

Just note that I tried to splice into the dome lights wires at the front pillar but it just wouldn't work correctly. There might be something tricky in how the computer (BCM i think) sends its signal to the switch at the dome.

This light comes on anytime the dome is on.

I'm working on getting the passenger side light put in now. I'm just going to route the wire under the dash and splice in at my inline fuse. Some zip ties should keep my wires out of the way of everything else under the dash.

dome-power.jpg
    dome-power2.jpg
    dome-power3.jpg
    door-wire-location.jpg
    pillar-wire-and-fuse-location.jpg

8. Sep 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    totmacher

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    This is what it looks like when it's off. My opinion is that you don't notice it you don't know it's there already.

location-of-light.jpg

9. Sep 19, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    this needs to be in cheap/free mods section!

10. Sep 19, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    montgomery_30824

montgomery_30824 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    K & N airfilter, custom built 10" sub boxes, pioneer head, mag-lite mod, Blue LED dash lights, custom painted engine cover, mud flap removal mod, alarm/remote start installed,
    thats awesome. might just be my next mod!!

11. Sep 19, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    pretty awesome

12. Sep 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Looks awesome:D

13. Nov 23, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    montgomery_30824

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    K & N airfilter, custom built 10" sub boxes, pioneer head, mag-lite mod, Blue LED dash lights, custom painted engine cover, mud flap removal mod, alarm/remote start installed,
    got my LEDs, same ones you have. gonna be attempting this over the holiday weekend. i got 4 of them so i may put the other 2 mounted to my step bar at the rear doors. we will see how it looks at to whether they stay there. wish me luck.

14. Nov 23, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Offroad SR5 DC 6 speed
    FX-R Projector Retrofit with Apollo Shrouds, Digital HID 55 watt ballasts, D2S Philips 85122+ bulbs in the Winter and Digital HID 55w 5k bulbs in the summer, Bakflip G2, Pop N Lock, Tint, Grillcraft with PIAAs behind it, ScanguageII and a few audio/video upgrades.
    Very cool, subscribed!

15. Nov 24, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    KaoskrewPB

KaoskrewPB -Empty-

Member:
    Could you explain in detail what I would need to do the lights to light up the floor, what wire harness should I order and what length LED strip did you use, and how long did it take to install, and do I need to do any removal of the dash?

I would really appreciate it man thanks.

16. Nov 24, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    dlthunder

dlthunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Sold my Taco
    TRD Skid Plate Rear Seat 11inch DVD Toyota Bed Mat Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit Nerf Bars Tailgate Electric Dynolock D-ring Bedbolts
    Does anyone know how you can tap into the dome light without running a wire up to the light itself? I wanted to add some under dash lights that will go on with my dome light but didn't want to have to get into the liner and mess with the overhead DVD player.

17. Nov 28, 2009 at 5:40 AM
    montgomery_30824

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    I chose to mount the lights on my step bar. Worked out well i think.

SNC00220.jpg
    SNC00213.jpg
    SNC00215.jpg

18. Nov 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    music_man185

music_man185 Active Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Black Double Cab, SR5, 4x4
    isn't drilling a hole to mount a light in the step bar a little risky? what i mean is, wont it make your step bars more prone to rust?

19. Nov 28, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    montgomery_30824

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    maybe, we will see. if i see rust start appearing then i will removed the lights and seal the metal with paint or something. they are just step tubes after all. if nothing else i could completely remove them.

20. Nov 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    Mr. T

Mr. T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gulf Coast, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5 Black
    Very cool post...I like what you've done!

Products Discussed in

To Top