Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

LED lights by cup holders

Old 09-11-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
rockinray is on a distinguished road
Name: Ray
rockinray's Tacoma Gallery
LED lights by cup holders

I am thinking of installing some sort of LED lighting in between the cup holders on my '09 Access cab as I find it hard to see if you are out driving on a highway with no lights around. Anyone here done anything like this, I am looking for something though that would not be too bright and distracting but show enough that if you go to grab a cup of coffee from the cup holder which in some cases unless you get an XXL cup it is completely inside the holder and hard to grab to begin with.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
there is a thread for this mod.someone will post it soon
Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
look at my thread
Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedruM29 View Post
look at my thread
you beat me to it!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
you beat me to it!
i got you this time gypsy!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Just be aware that a bright LED can glare in the side windows or shine into your face if you mount it such that the bulb is facing up.

The LED I got for my cupholder was too bright (4 chip style from Oznium) the way I had mounted it at first (centered, facing up under notch I cut in the black divider).

I had to put the LED into the hollow of that divider shining downward so that the light comes out of the notch I made. Still reflects in the side windows at night but not enough to be a problem. If you have a small/dim LED though, it might not be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
LED lights by cup holders-09-cup.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
My cup holders are a little bit different than yours. I think it is because I have the 5 speed. Anyway, I did think of that and I am working on more of a fiber optic type approach. I plan to run fiber around the outer edged of the cup holders and then mount the LED's underneath in the console to give a more gentle light. If that does not work then I am going to put them above but shade them so they shine outwards rather than upwards so they don't distract.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
this is how I mounted mine, no glare, doesnt shine in my eyes

Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
I like the look of your LED's. I am hoping mine turn out well. I am getting the LEDs tomorrow. I still have to figure where I am going to power them from. I assume you did your LEDs from the lights for the indicators for you tranny, I however have a 5 speed so I don't have any power close by. I am probably going to tie in to the lights for the climate controls. I will post pics as soon as I get it done.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Blinking Car Mod...

good luck Ray and don't forget to post the pics