Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Tail light replacement - help please !!!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
bruff is on a distinguished road
bruff's Tacoma Gallery
Tail light replacement - help please !!!

I have a 05 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 and the right taillight is burned out.

I can't figure out how to take off the taillight cover or get to the bulb from the inside...

Help please..

Thank you for all help offered

JBA - Phoenix
Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
there should be two 10mm screws/bolts, top and bottom, remove those and then you have to pull pretty hard straight out, basically the lights are held in by a "friction guide", pin type deal. just pull out carefully once you've removed the screws.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
side note...the screws are inside the bed where the tailgate normally is when its up.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
side note...the screws are inside the bed where the tailgate normally is when its up.

thanks for adding that jhodge, i forgot to mention that tidbit!!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
bruff's Tacoma Gallery
I just looked at the plastic taillight cover and ther are no screws to be removed.

In other trucks I have had, you get at the back of the bulb inside the fender, on my truck, I have the factory installed plastic bed and there does not appear a way to get into the fender in back of the bulb. The only opening in the plastic bed is where the 120 volt outlet is located, maybe I have to go in through that opening..

There does appear to be two slots at the very edge of the plastic lens cover where a flat bladed screwdriver could be inserted.. I am a little afraid to try prying it off, a new plastic lens cover is probably 100 bucks...

This really has me stumped, I never ran into something like this before..

jba - Phoenix
Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
I just looked at the plastic taillight cover and ther are no screws to be removed.

In other trucks I have had, you get at the back of the bulb inside the fender, on my truck, I have the factory installed plastic bed and there does not appear a way to get into the fender in back of the bulb. The only opening in the plastic bed is where the 120 volt outlet is located, maybe I have to go in through that opening..

There does appear to be two slots at the very edge of the plastic lens cover where a flat bladed screwdriver could be inserted.. I am a little afraid to try prying it off, a new plastic lens cover is probably 100 bucks...

This really has me stumped, I never ran into something like this before..

jba - Phoenix

just drop the tailgate and u should see 2 screws on the inside edges of where the bed/tailgate meet. the screws are like 12" apart. just remove those 2 screws and u can pull the entire lens out
Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
bruff's Tacoma Gallery
I am getting closer!!!

I have 1 bolt at the top and 2 bolts almost in verticial line near the bottom of the opening, 1 slightly closer to the rear than the other... which of the 2 bottom bolts do I remove??

A thousand thanks to everyone for all the help...

JBA - Phoenix
Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator

i'm locked in work, so i cant get out there and look...but if both bolts look exactly the same as the first, then try one and see...if not, then try the other...that is if no one else answers
Old 01-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Seabees 27th Battalion
Name: Bill
Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
sunruner19's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great mystery here as to why there are 3 bolts. Two bolts hold the tailight assembly. The third bolt actually holds nothing that I can see, but it just screws into a welded nut. If you pull all three out, there is no harm done as far as I can see and the taillight should come out. Do not pry on the lens with a screwdriver as the lens itself is glue welded to the body of the tail light assembly. Afterwards, make a mental note as to which bolts hold in the assembly and you will only have to remove two.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
bruff's Tacoma Gallery
Thank You everyone very much!!!!!

Just fixed it and your instructions were perfect...

As was said, that third bolt does nothing, but, I'll bet it has something to do with that gate that you can get that swings out and lays on the tailgate when it is down.. Just a thought...

It has been a loooong time since I changed a taillight and I had a difficult time getting the bulb out of the socket,,, never saw a flat end on a bulb before.. Like I said, it has been a while..

Thank again everybody,,, you were great!!

Jim Andrews - Phoenix
Old 01-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #11
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Seabees 27th Battalion
Name: Bill
Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
sunruner19's Tacoma Gallery
I think Bruff stumbled on something about that mystery 3rd bolt. I believe that is what its used for. So if this is true, then He taught us something.

I am a former shade tree mechanic now referred to as a rolling computerized, misconglobulating thingamagig designed by engineers who never worked on a car Tech. Give me the old days when, if your car broke down, you could fix it on the side of the road and git goin agin.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunruner19 View Post
I think Bruff stumbled on something about that mystery 3rd bolt. I believe that is what its used for. So if this is true, then He taught us something.

I am a former shade tree mechanic now referred to as a rolling computerized, misconglobulating thingamagig designed by engineers who never worked on a car Tech. Give me the old days when, if your car broke down, you could fix it on the side of the road and git goin agin.
Funny you should say this, a friend of mine got so fed up with the new stuff on cars and trucks he went backwards, bought a sweet '54 GMC 4x4 and fixed it the way he wanted it, carries a few small parts/tools and away he goes.