Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Headlight upgrade harness, upgraded bulbs or brightboxes?

Old 10-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Headlight upgrade harness, upgraded bulbs or brightboxes?

I have read a lot of people using an upgraded wiring harness and it makes a big difference with even stock headlight bulb output. Has anyone tried this on a 2nd gen Tacoma, and was it worth it?

Also, has anyone tried a “brightbox” mod or tried the 55/100W bulbs? Will the 100W high beams melt the headlights (obviously these can only be used with upgraded light harnesses)?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Are you talking about HIDs?
Old 10-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
No, this is for standard halogens. I have a set of bixenon HIDs, but I have not installed them yet. I am concerned about the glare, and have been considering just converting my driving lights to HID instead. I would like to have a little more oomph out of the low beams if possible, and just seeing what the options may be if anyone has messed with it.

I go on a lot of camping and road trips when I can and we end up on a lot of empty dark highways and winding back roads. Lighting, brakes, and tires are my top priorities. We have a long winter road trip coming up soon as well.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc409 View Post
No, this is for standard halogens. I have a set of bixenon HIDs, but I have not installed them yet. I am concerned about the glare, and have been considering just converting my driving lights to HID instead. I would like to have a little more oomph out of the low beams if possible, and just seeing what the options may be if anyone has messed with it.

I go on a lot of camping and road trips when I can and we end up on a lot of empty dark highways and winding back roads. Lighting, brakes, and tires are my top priorities. We have a long winter road trip coming up soon as well.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Never heard of upgrading your harness for stock bulbs. Don't see how that would make a difference. And obviously, as you said, you can't upgrade to a higher wattage bulb without a new wiring harness because you'll burn up the stock wiring.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
if your gonna mess with your headlights, might as well go for the Halo HID kits
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
Back when I was wrenching on honda's you should run the power wire directly to the battery and use the stock 12v power to hit a relay. That way you got something like 14v at the light connector and it made the lights brighter. Just a thought.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
could that affect your battry in any way though?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
hids will be alot better than stock halogens. just make sure they are adjusted to not blind everyone else
Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
Back when I was wrenching on honda's you should run the power wire directly to the battery and use the stock 12v power to hit a relay. That way you got something like 14v at the light connector and it made the lights brighter. Just a thought.
Exactly! The idea is there is a substantial voltage drop in relatively weak stock wiring, which is bypassed entirely by the wiring harness. The cost to build one is fairly minimal.

Do you lose any range aiming the HIDs down, and are they still overpowering for other drivers in rural areas? I definitely would like to try them (I bought 4300k). There was a Volkswagen that had them the other day that drove past me, and he nearly blinded me in broad daylight LOL.

By driving lights I meant auxiliary lighting, or off road lights that I can't use in traffic. If the company I bought my light bar ever actually ships it, I have a set of 240 Blitz lights to go on the truck.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
06 TACOMA 4X4
ODICA will become famous soon enough

Army:
Name: Earl
ODICA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have read a lot of people using an upgraded wiring harness and it makes a big difference with even stock headlight bulb output. Has anyone tried this on a 2nd gen Tacoma, and was it worth it?

Also, has anyone tried a “brightbox” mod or tried the 55/100W bulbs? Will the 100W high beams melt the headlights (obviously these can only be used with upgraded light harnesses)?
I think I know exactly what your talking about, I've been running them in my lights for almost two years before I changed them to HID's. I had run the 100-120W Headlights and Fog lights as well. And i didnt had any problem in melting.

There bright but the HID's are brighter.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #12

HIDs are safer: wont melt your wires and can see more.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, all. I am going to try the HIDs when I get time to stick them in. I like the idea of them, that's for sure. Since I drive with my lights on all the time, I also like the idea of reducing the power load.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #14
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
upgrading to heavier wire will increase your light output on standard halogen systems. The manufacturers run the thinnest wire they can to save weight, cost, space, etc. Thinner wires have more voltage drop. Less voltage = less output from filment bulbs.

Ideally you would run a relay at the lamp housing. That way you can have they shortest possible run of thick wire and use thin wire to trigger the relay. http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/s..._tech_info.htm

"In incandescent lamps, the filament resistance, temperature, current, watts, light output, and life are all greatly affected by the voltage. Empirical equations are available, relating those parameters to voltage over ranges of as much as 10% from nominal voltage. The designer may improve one parameter by changing the voltage, but in doing so shifts all the other parameters. For example, the life varies so that a small decrease in voltage will greatly extend the life; but the light output will simultaneously decrease as the fourth power of that voltage. The nomograph and curve diagrams below show the interrelationships of current, candlepower, and operating life to voltage."
Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Why not just get brighter headlights? Like Syvania Siverstars? Mine are night and day difference from stock.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
Why not just get brighter headlights? Like Syvania Siverstars? Mine are night and day difference from stock.
agreed.. and the silverstars in my 1999 S-10 with an upgraded harness are brighter than my silverstars in my Taco with a stock harness... food for thought.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
All three pairs of silverstars I have had in the past have ALL died before a years time. I could never warrant spending 40 dollars each year for 'average' bulbs.. Poor build quality IMO.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #18
Tacoma convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
All three pairs of silverstars I have had in the past have ALL died before a years time. I could never warrant spending 40 dollars each year for 'average' bulbs.. Poor build quality IMO.
kind of thread jacking here, but...
I have had great luck with them. The ones in my dime have ~40,000 miles over 3 years on them so far. They are still bright. ymmv