1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Ideas?: Fuse Blows with LED License Plate Bulb

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TexasBlue, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Sport, Speedway Blue
    Billet Grill, Roll-Top Cover, LED Interior Lights, HIDs, Foglight On Mod, Coin Tray Holster Mod
    So, my LED replacement bulbs came in from superbrightleds.com over the weekend and I put them in last night. I used these bulbs for both the map lights and license plate lights:

http://tinyurl.com/yjes88q (3rd down on page)

The lights in the map lights work great and are super bright and clean... love 'em. But using the same bulb in the license plate light (which uses the same stock bulb as the map lights) results in a blown (Tail - 10A) fuse every time I turn on the marker lights. Going back to the stock bulb results in the fuse not blowing. I tried two different LED lights to eliminate a bad LED unit as the problem.

I suspect this has something to do with the resistance provided by the LED unit being different than the stock bulb, but I don't know why it would be a problem on the license plate lights and not in the map lights. I even bumped up the fuse to a 15A, then 20A just to see if I could get it to stay lit. Any ideas?

2. Oct 12, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Make sure its not grounding out....May be a defective light.

3. Oct 12, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    Billet Grill, Roll-Top Cover, LED Interior Lights, HIDs, Foglight On Mod, Coin Tray Holster Mod
    Thanks for the quick feedback.

It was misting rain last night when I put them in so I didn't want to get the multimeter out. I'm planning on checking the resistance through the circuit and making sure it's not grounded like you said. I'm also going to compare the resistance of the stock bulb to the LED bulb and see if that lends any hints...

I figure the circuit is OK, since there are no problems with the stock bulb in... who knows though. I've ran LED bulbs in most of my previous vehicles without running into this sort of an issue.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

4. Oct 12, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    That is very strange. how the running lights would effect your turn signals. Let us know how it goes.

5. Oct 16, 2009 at 7:19 AM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    Solution:

It must have been something with the specific bulbs that I used from superbrightleds.com that caused the problem. The ones I was using that blew the fuses were WLED-xHP6 Wedge Base Bulb. I found a thread on here where someone used the WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb without a problem. I ordered those, and they work fine. I really have no idea what the difference is, especially considering the 'HP6' bulb works great in the map lights... but whatever. It works now.

6. Oct 16, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Good to hear Kellan! Thanks for the up date. :)

7. Oct 16, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    What color LED did you go with? Do you have any pictures of them lighting up your license plate? I want to order some too but i want a blue-ish white LED. I have the 8K HID Kit so i want them as close as possible to that color. I'm afraid if i buy the LED's in blue, they'll be too BLUE.

8. Oct 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    I went with the 'cool white' color and they look great. If you've seen the license plate lights on most new Lexus cars, it looks very similar to that. I'd say it would be a good match for your HIDs. Now that it finally stopped raining in Dallas, I'll get some pics of the truck. When I do, I'll post one of the license plate lights in this thread.

I'd definitely go cool white over blue though. You might run into some trouble with 5-0 with the blue too. Having exterior blue lights is generally illegal.

9. Oct 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Yeah, i don't want a BLUE light.. i want a blusih/white light exactly like you described the cool white ones.. I want them to be close to the Lexus cars license plate lights.

If you could post the pictures when you have a chance, i'd really appreciate it. I'll probably end up going with the cool white also. Sounds to be what i want.

10. Nov 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    I finally got some pictures of the truck, here's the LED lights:

[​IMG]

11. Nov 22, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    AriZonaD54

AriZonaD54 BANNED in 49 states...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    Those looks crazy blue.. but then again your truck is blue! So its hard to truely tell

Can you post a link to the SuperBright website for the WLEDs? I can find them :(

12. Nov 22, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it does look a bit blue in the picture, especially next to the very yellow light of the driveway, but in person it's a clean-white light on the plate. The blue of the truck tends to tint it a little. The best comparison that I can make is to that of the LED license plate lights on late model Lexus cars, it's roughly that color.

As far as linking, there's no way to link to an individual product on superbrightleds.com due to crappy web design. You probably haven't gone to the second page, I think that's where the wled's are.

13. Nov 24, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    AriZonaD54

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    still cant find the damn things on the website :(

14. Nov 29, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
  15. Nov 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    AriZonaD54

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    Sweet! Ordering now!

16. Dec 11, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    madisonsfinest

madisonsfinest Addicted to my DSLR

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC OffRoad 4x4 Debaged
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    Just ordered...Thanks for the thread! Can you just pop out the other bulbs, and put these in?

17. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, absolutely. Removing two screws will allow you to slide the light housing out of the bumper, then twist and pull the light fitting out of the housing, then slide the old bulb out and the new one in. It's very straightforward.

18. Mar 7, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    Hawaiian Taco

Hawaiian Taco Member

Member:
    Pacific Ocean
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Taco
    Plenty
    I really like your lighting- What kind of HIDs did you get for your fogs and interior lighting (map and dome lights) the link you provided was for daytime running lights. I was thinking about modifying my DRLs have you done this mod yet?

Mahalo

19. Mar 7, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    See the rest of this thread for info on the specific bulbs I used for the map lights / license plate lights.

For the HIDs, I used the 6000k units from the slimcubby groupbuy on here. If you're interested in getting some, PM slimcubby.

Glad you like the look! I haven't done / don't plan on doing the daytime running light mod. There's plenty of people on here who have though!

20. Jul 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    G3T LO5T

G3T LO5T Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    4" Maxtrac Spindles 3" All Pro Leafs 5100's Headlight Projectors HID Fogs K&N Short Ram Intake Flowmaster Exhaust PA Alpine
    yes they will...I did that and got myself a nice fat ticket =/
    (On my old car BTW)

[​IMG]

SO I got white...

Hard to tell...but theyre white
    [​IMG]

I was/am obsessed with LEDS so if anyone has any questions... and constant buyer from superbrightleds.com. Great Site! Im about to order the whole set of dash lights.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top