1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hella 500ff relay?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MikeyD, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Oct 14, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    MikeyD

MikeyD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sayreville NJ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4
    BHLM, HID kit, yellow fogs, Grill craft, Hellas behind grillcraft, LED cup holder mod, after market horn, extra reverse lights, under body glow for off roading at night, pro comp 7089's wrapped in 255/75/17 bfg mud terrains, Toytec coiovers sat at 3.25, 2" add a leaf with 5100's, Satoshi grill mod
    About 3 months ago I installed some hella 500ff in my grilcraft and they worked fine. I taped into the circut of my driving with a relay and a switch so when my head lights come on i can either have my hella's on or off and also so they will shut off automatically when i shut the truck off. They worked fine but just the other day they stopped working. I checked everything the fuse the relay all my splices and nothing was wrong. So i tried to by pass the relay to test it out and it WORKED! So i went to the store got the same relay and replaced it. It did not work. So i tried to by pass the relay again to see if they worked and they did. But then about 8 seconds after bypassing the relay i burnt out the 10 amp fuse for the left head light ( the headlight that i was running the relay off of). Does anyone know what the problem can be? Im Stuck.

2. Oct 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    You overloaded the headlamp circiut. No big deal...just replace the fuse. As for your relay? Sounds like it's either not grounded good....or some other connection to it is not sound.

3. Oct 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    god damn it i though this was my thread for a while. i was trying to figure out when i typed this but just realized that ... its not me hah!... i have a problem with my 500s also... time to find my thread..

4. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    MikeyD

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sayreville NJ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4
    BHLM, HID kit, yellow fogs, Grill craft, Hellas behind grillcraft, LED cup holder mod, after market horn, extra reverse lights, under body glow for off roading at night, pro comp 7089's wrapped in 255/75/17 bfg mud terrains, Toytec coiovers sat at 3.25, 2" add a leaf with 5100's, Satoshi grill mod
    Thats the thing. I replaced the fuse after I burnt the first one out. Then I replaced the relay with the same one. And it still did not work. And the relay is working i can hear it clicking when i turn the switch on. But then if i by pass the relay with a wire it works for about 8 seconds until it blows the head light fuse again. But i dont understand why it would blow the head light fuse because the hella's are on a completly different circuit. The only thing added to the circuit of the driving lights is the load of the relay which is just about nothing.

5. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    MikeyD

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sayreville NJ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4
    Haha another mikeyD

6. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    If you're sure the relay is clicking then it sounds like the positive lead from the relay to your lights is the problem.

If you have a diagram of how you've wired it up...that might help.

7. Oct 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    MikeyD

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sayreville NJ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4
    That sounds about right. I think im just going to replace hot leg that comes out of the relay to the head lights and see what happens. Thanks for your help I will let you know how it goes.

8. Jan 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    shredtacoma

shredtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner Debadged with snugtop
    Camburg lift, ProComp rims, Nitto Terragrappler tires, snugtop, Flowmaster exhaust and Airraid intake
    i have the same lights, how did u mount them, the stock bolts dont go down far enough. Great truck.
    Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top