Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hella 500ff relay?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Hella 500ff relay?

About 3 months ago I installed some hella 500ff in my grilcraft and they worked fine. I taped into the circut of my driving with a relay and a switch so when my head lights come on i can either have my hella's on or off and also so they will shut off automatically when i shut the truck off. They worked fine but just the other day they stopped working. I checked everything the fuse the relay all my splices and nothing was wrong. So i tried to by pass the relay to test it out and it WORKED! So i went to the store got the same relay and replaced it. It did not work. So i tried to by pass the relay again to see if they worked and they did. But then about 8 seconds after bypassing the relay i burnt out the 10 amp fuse for the left head light ( the headlight that i was running the relay off of). Does anyone know what the problem can be? Im Stuck.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
You overloaded the headlamp circiut. No big deal...just replace the fuse. As for your relay? Sounds like it's either not grounded good....or some other connection to it is not sound.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Thats the thing. I replaced the fuse after I burnt the first one out. Then I replaced the relay with the same one. And it still did not work. And the relay is working i can hear it clicking when i turn the switch on. But then if i by pass the relay with a wire it works for about 8 seconds until it blows the head light fuse again. But i dont understand why it would blow the head light fuse because the hella's are on a completly different circuit. The only thing added to the circuit of the driving lights is the load of the relay which is just about nothing.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #5

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiikeyD View Post
god damn it i though this was my thread for a while. i was trying to figure out when i typed this but just realized that ... its not me hah!... i have a problem with my 500s also... time to find my thread..
Haha another mikeyD
Old 10-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
Thats the thing. I replaced the fuse after I burnt the first one out. Then I replaced the relay with the same one. And it still did not work. And the relay is working i can hear it clicking when i turn the switch on. But then if i by pass the relay with a wire it works for about 8 seconds until it blows the head light fuse again. But i dont understand why it would blow the head light fuse because the hella's are on a completly different circuit. The only thing added to the circuit of the driving lights is the load of the relay which is just about nothing.
If you're sure the relay is clicking then it sounds like the positive lead from the relay to your lights is the problem.

If you have a diagram of how you've wired it up...that might help.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #7

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds about right. I think im just going to replace hot leg that comes out of the relay to the head lights and see what happens. Thanks for your help I will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
shredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to all
Name: Jace
shredtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same lights, how did u mount them, the stock bolts dont go down far enough. Great truck.
Thanks