Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Splicing my fogs

Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
prerunner05 is on a distinguished road

Name: David
prerunner05's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Splicing my fogs

so i am reading all the write ups on the DIY oem fog lights, and i am trying to splice my fogs into my low beam headlights so that they go off when i put on my high beams. but keep blowing the bulbs when cutting them on but the fogs do work spliced into the low beam wire, just blowing my headlight. can any one help me figure something out.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
renamed the title and moved to the lighting section so you can get better help
Old 10-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #3

thanks
Old 10-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
You can not hook the fogs directly to the headlamp circuit. You'll overload it and blow fuses all day long.

You need to use a relay and power them off of the battery, using the low beams (or parking lamps) as the trigger source for the relay.

Most 30 amp automotive relays have 4 poles....#30, #85, #86, #87.

Wire it up this way:

#30 (+) to battery with a 15 amp fuse as close to the battery as possible.
#85 (+) to low beams or parking lamps.
#86 (-) ground
#87 (+) lead to foglamps

If you want a switch to defeat the fogs completely, just place it on the signal wire (#85).
Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #5

hell yeah that sounds like a plan to me. Thanks! will let you know how it goes
Old 10-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane Taco View Post
You can not hook the fogs directly to the headlamp circuit. You'll overload it and blow fuses all day long.

You need to use a relay and power them off of the battery, using the low beams (or parking lamps) as the trigger source for the relay.

Wire it up this way:

#30 (+) to battery with a 15 amp fuse as close to the battery has possible.
#86 (-) ground
#87 (+) lead to foglamps

If you want a switch to defeat the fogs completely, just place it on the signal wire (#85).

gave it a try but for some reason lights arent coming on. any sugestions on what i may be missing. i did everything the way stated.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
did you grounded both the lights and the relay?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #8

yep. but its all good had one bad connection that i found got em working about an hour ago. great mod!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane Taco View Post

Wire it up this way:

#30 (+) to battery with a 15 amp fuse as close to the battery has possible.
#86 (-) ground
#87 (+) lead to foglamps

Thanks man this really helped me alot!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner05 View Post
Thanks man this really helped me alot!