1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driving lights to go in turn signal holes

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by slickyd, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:19 AM
    slickyd

slickyd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    I have an 03 tacoma and want to put some lights in there. I need about an 8in long light. Dose anyone know where i can get one. I have googled untill i am tired of looking so i figured yall might know where to get some.

2. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    I think there have been people on this board who have done a mod to make their factory turn signals into fog lights. I might be worng. Im sure some first gen guys will be here soon to give you the right info. Good luck!!

3. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    slickyd

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    yeah hopefully. all i know is that they say that you can't put different bulbs in the factory lens because the bulbs will melt them.

4. Oct 19, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I wanted to do that...but never ended up doing it on my 96. I converted the corner lenses to blinkers, and that's as far as I got. The biggest issue (for me) was finding a good place to mount the lights. That bumper valance is plastic and there's really not much there (in terms of metal) to mount to. You'll have to build some sort of bracket setup just to keep the lights securely in place. Having an 8" wide light, will be a bit heavy. I wouldn't just attache them to the plastic.

5. Oct 19, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    What do you mean? I have seen people turn their corners into blinkers and the bumper signals into fogs. Whats the problem? You should try to be helpful if anything. Thats why we are all here anyway, trying to help eachother out.

6. Oct 19, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That would be illegal to delete your blinkers. So - I would hope slickyd already knows about that and knows he needs to move his blinkers somewhere else.

7. Oct 19, 2009 at 9:02 AM
    slickyd

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    lol yeah i was going to move the blinkers just didnt think i had to say it. but its cool. I can make a bracket or something for the lights thats no problem. What have other people used as fog/driving lights in those holes?

8. Oct 19, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    slickyd

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    just thought about this what about some led headlights down there. Led's put off little to no heat don't they?

9. Oct 19, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    NraFan

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Your stupid post is driving me crazy. I just saw someone on here last week that did this mod and I cant find it. I am looking everywhere. I know someone has to know. Please, someone post a link to the mod build so I can stop looking. Thanks.

10. Oct 19, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    slickyd

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    lol i know it drove me crazy too i could find anything.

11. Oct 22, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    ERIC

ERIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Impulse Red TRD PreRunner SOLD
    Pioneer double din navi head unit and four 5x7 alpine speakers, westin light bar, procomp lights, head and tail lights, black billet grille, billet antienna, gibson headers and cat back exhaust, afe cold air, uni chip programmer, Bilstein 5100's, Pro comp wheels and tires, tint, blacked out emblems, innu roof rack, yakima basket, foglight mod...
    hey guys yea its true there is a mod to do this i have done it to my truckits really easyandit looks incredable you should definitly try it. only cost 6 bucks too!

12. Oct 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    ERIC

ERIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer double din navi head unit and four 5x7 alpine speakers, westin light bar, procomp lights, head and tail lights, black billet grille, billet antienna, gibson headers and cat back exhaust, afe cold air, uni chip programmer, Bilstein 5100's, Pro comp wheels and tires, tint, blacked out emblems, innu roof rack, yakima basket, foglight mod...
    im pretty sure theres a rite up on here too about it thats where i heard about it. if you need help i cant tell you how

13. Oct 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    slickyd

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    you can or can't help me. If you could just tell me the kind of lights you used it would be more than enough help. I can wire it up easy. I searched for a write up but didn't come up with anything about this kind of mod.

14. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    ERIC

ERIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    just go to your local autozone or anything and get replacement clear blinkers then just switch the wires to the side corners and there ya go

15. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:56 PM
    Robbsolid

Robbsolid Zombie Killer

Member:
    ABQ, N.M.
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SuperWhite DBL Cab
    Plastic X'd Flares, deck plate mod, Thrush welded muffler, graphite painted wheels, relocated turn signals, fogs in bumper
    i actually did something very similar. I relocated my turn signals to the side marker/ running light and they then became turn signals/side marker, and made my turn signal housings become running lights
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used this link as a starter

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/tacoma_turn_signal/

The only thing i did differently was SPLICE the hot wire for the RUNNING LIGHT, not the turn signal( youll be able to tell which is which when you test them on the new bulb) then I connected it(the parking light hot wire) to the old turn signals and replaced the bulb.

I did this on Aug 8th and they have held up great, and no burning or melting at all. hope this helps. PM me if you need some help

16. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
  17. Oct 29, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    slickyd

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    those are sweet. how do you like them.

18. Oct 29, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    I am fairly impressed by them. The white is pretty bright considering they are LEDs and generate very little heat. When they turn amber to flash as turn signals the amber color could be a little more bright, but still decent.

I went with the 60 LED version because it was available with 5000K LEDs (fairly white with only a hint of blue). The 92 LED versions only came with the more blue 6000K LEDs. I run non-HID headlights so I wanted a more pure white to better match the headlights.
    Matt

19. Dec 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    Tacoma7382

Tacoma7382 Member

Member:
    Supercharger
    Hey Taco lover's- I have a 2003 Tacoma DC and I want to switch the lower front signal's to driving/fog light's and make the corner's the signals.. Can someone please give me the step's on how to do this? Also, if you can tell me what kinda bulbs to use for the driving/fog light's and what kinda wires I need to use in case.. I don't think it should be that difficult and want to do it myself instead of taking it some where..

Thank's guy's.. Also, thank's for the head's up on the rear end jumping when coming to a stop.. :)

20. Dec 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    dka

dka Well-Known Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top