Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Issue with my GB HID's

Old 10-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Work In Progress
nolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weapons Director
nolanspawn's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to nolanspawn
Issue with my GB HID's

These HID's were bought a month ago on slimcubby's GB.

Tonight I went to turn on my headlights and when I did only my passenger side turned on. I noticed a loud ticking sound only when I turned on the lights. To make sure it wasn't the bulb I swapped the bulbs and the drivers side one works fine on the passenger side. I checked all connections and everything seems to be fine. That loud ticking is definitely coming from the drivers side portion of the HID setup. Is it likely one of the capacitors or solenoids that's gone bad? I shot slimcubby an PM with a link to this thread hoping he has some insight.

Whats really crappy is I am leaving at 4am tomorrow flying up north till Thursday then the following day Ill be driving home to Texas so I don't have any options of getting a replacement before I make that drive if that's the issue.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
Work In Progress
nolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to behold

Also, noticed that I can't turn on the high beam. When I try to turn it on nothing happens the low just stays on.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Check your fuses on the relay and fuse box.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Work In Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
Check your fuses on the relay and fuse box.
If a fuse was blown wouldn't the passenger side not work either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
About the hi-beams-Did you buy the bi-zeon bulbs??
Yes. Prior to this the hi-beams worked awesome.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Sorry I read your post too fast. When you swapped bulbs, you never stated that you put the passenger bulb in the driver's side...
Old 10-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Hey there,

I am not sure what could be ticking I haven't had this issue yet with anybody. It could possibly be a bad ballast. Does the sound seem to be coming from the ballast? Also, are your grounds good? I always recommend grounding to the battery negative terminal.

For us to determine if the ballast needs to be replaced please swap the ballasts with one another. (driver to passenger and vise versa). Then turn the lights on and see if the problem stays on the bad side or moves with the ballast. Let me know how that goes and we will go from there.

I appologize you had to have a problem with your kit but I will take care of you and get it fixed asap. Sorry for the delay reply I had to fly to Arizona on Friday to pick up my grandma and I just got back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanspawn View Post
These HID's were bought a month ago on slimcubby's GB.

Tonight I went to turn on my headlights and when I did only my passenger side turned on. I noticed a loud ticking sound only when I turned on the lights. To make sure it wasn't the bulb I swapped the bulbs and the drivers side one works fine on the passenger side. I checked all connections and everything seems to be fine. That loud ticking is definitely coming from the drivers side portion of the HID setup. Is it likely one of the capacitors or solenoids that's gone bad? I shot slimcubby an PM with a link to this thread hoping he has some insight.

Whats really crappy is I am leaving at 4am tomorrow flying up north till Thursday then the following day Ill be driving home to Texas so I don't have any options of getting a replacement before I make that drive if that's the issue.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Menametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud of

Navy: ET1(SW/AW)
Menametony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Menametony
yeah double check everything.. i had somewhat the same problem.. and all i had to do was ground one side to the battery.. and viola
Old 10-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Work In Progress

Yah i swapped the passenger ballast to drivers side and drivers side to passenger side. Both ballasts worked on the passenger side but not the drivers side. Whenever I get back home on Friday I'll double check the grounds.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
I grounded mine to the grounding points that are just to the side of each one of the lights. I actually ended up taking the battery and the whiper fluid bottle out to mount everything. It definately made it alot easier.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanspawn View Post
Yah i swapped the passenger ballast to drivers side and drivers side to passenger side. Both ballasts worked on the passenger side but not the drivers side. Whenever I get back home on Friday I'll double check the grounds.
Ok cool make sure the grounds are good and all the connections are fastened securely. Let me know how it goes and we will go from there.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiekc View Post
I grounded mine to the grounding points that are just to the side of each one of the lights. I actually ended up taking the battery and the whiper fluid bottle out to mount everything. It definately made it alot easier.

This is what I did, and have not had any issues. Whenever grounding an electrical component, it is imperative to make sure you are grounding to a solid piece of metal that is also grounded and all debris and paint is free from the grounding location.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
This is what I did, and have not had any issues. Whenever grounding an electrical component, it is imperative to make sure you are grounding to a solid piece of metal that is also grounded and all debris and paint is free from the grounding location.

Something that you have to also look out for on the positive wire is the size of the solderless connector is real small. I ended up increasing the size of it and then fishing the wire through the relay box and connecting it to the positive terminal in the terminal box. You can run it directly to the battery but I figured that it would be protected better inside of the box.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
Work In Progress

I grounded directly to the battery and still no luck getting the drivers side to work.