Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Official "Slimcubby" HID Kit Install DIY

Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #181
Eltacos is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Officer
Eltacos's Tacoma Gallery
I have a similar kit. It is true you just pull the parts apart and the boot fits easily sealing everything. One thing I have to note: I have never been flashed for running my HID H4 plug and play. I have been flashed by running HID 9145 foglights. I took the plug and play out of the foglights and no more flashing me. I now plan on doing a TRS retrofit on my foglights.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #182
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Which ballast is recommended to use? I have heard the slim digital ballasts are more likely to go out. Any truth to that? I see on the site it says most popular is slim..unless thats a marketing trick
Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #183
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
Which ballast is recommended to use? I have heard the slim digital ballasts are more likely to go out. Any truth to that? I see on the site it says most popular is slim..unless thats a marketing trick
Lol it's not a marketing trick they are the most popular and also have a lower defective rate than the regular ballasts. The reason you may not hear about the regular ballasts going bad that often is because I rarely sell them so there isn't much of them in use.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #184
Mj2111 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mitchell
Mj2111's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks was very helpful I got it today and installed them in about 1 hr only cause it was hard to get the clip on the left side of the Tacoma thanks again great write up
Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #185
RenoSteve84 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steven
RenoSteve84's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, Sorry for this is probably a dumb question. When you say the shield should be down, do you mean it should be inserted where the shield is on top of the bulb? or do you mean it should be on the underside of the bulb? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #186
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoSteve84 View Post
Hi, Sorry for this is probably a dumb question. When you say the shield should be down, do you mean it should be inserted where the shield is on top of the bulb? or do you mean it should be on the underside of the bulb? Thanks for the help.
You want the shield on the bottom.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #187
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
TennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Phill Goodfactor
TennesseeFan76's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Kit! Can't wait to see the lights at night! Thanks OP! Couldn't have installed the HIDs with out this thread. And yes, shields are down and lights will be properly aimed tonight.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #188
Hellion
Deserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Corey
Deserted1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Deserted1
Ordered my kit yesterday and its been shipped today, wish I would have known they were in SD I would have drivin down to pick it up as they are 30 miles from me

Hopefully they will be bright enough, I got the (OEM 4k) color range as I wanted more light but not super white to draw attention from 50..
Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #189
Hellion
Deserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeserted1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Corey
Deserted1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Deserted1
Haha, I'm kind of pissed. I bought these lights installed them and have yet to drive anywhere at night yet LOL...
Old 08-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #190
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 08-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #191
Techno Duck is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
Techno Duck's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed my HID kit from The Retro Fit Source which looks like it uses similar bulbs to the Slimcubby kit.

Here are some pictures of the rubber boot fitted to the HID bulbs.. hope this is helpful to anyone doing this in the future.

As mentioned, the bulb and H4 'adapter' base can be separated by twisting. You can then fit the rubber boot over the H4 adapter base by stretching it ever so slightly over the neck of the front base. Really easy to do, just dont touch the bulb when you take it apart .

Other than that, installation is very easy..took me longer to figure out a nice mounting spot for the ballasts than to actually install and wire everything.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #195
WarDamn is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
WarDamn's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone installed these in the aftermarket projector headlights?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #196
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2000 prerunner and I have read enough to know that i wont be able to install HIDs like these in the stock housings without adjusting them... What would you recommend as far as adjusting the stock (or aftermarket crystal such as these http://www.carid.com/2000-toyota-tac...ro-863239.html) headlight housings to accommodate for the brighter HID's? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #197
Silverbear is on a distinguished road

Silverbear's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so when's the next group buy?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #198
rcosta11482 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rcosta11482's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed my HID's today and WOW what a difference! I purchased Kensun HID's 6000k from amazon and they were even easier to install than the slimcubby ones. I also purchased Noyka yellow fog lamp bulbs, the whole setup came out sick.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #199
Knwilson is on a distinguished road
Knwilson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcosta11482 View Post
Just installed my HID's today and WOW what a difference! I purchased Kensun HID's 6000k from amazon and they were even easier to install than the slimcubby ones. I also purchased Noyka yellow fog lamp bulbs, the whole setup came out sick.
Can you please provide more info on what you purchased specifically? I was just on Amazon and found several Kensun HID packages and don't know what I need for my 2013 DBSB headlights and fogs...

Also, what is the difference between these and what Slim offers???

Thank you...
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #200

Wow is my kit really being compared to a cheap amazon kit? Sheesh!