Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Official "Slimcubby" HID Kit Install DIY

Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #201
Knwilson is on a distinguished road
Knwilson's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't intend to offend you.

I am just trying to figure out what the differences are? Also, your website only goes up to 2011 vehicles, so I want to ensure I am getting the correct item.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #202
619 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: IYAAYAS
619's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Slim, I got a few questions for ya, first of all I too am interested in the answer to Wilson's question. And, in about a month I'm about to make a trip from Va to CA (for the 4th trip back and forth, lol) and I know I'm gonna need them. I picked up some budget 6000's for my Highlander on my 3rd trip and it made a huge difference especially while I was trailering 3000lbs around the winding roads in the Rockies driving from CA to VA. I traded in my 02 Highlander for my 13 DCSB TRD Sport.
So now I'm in the market again. I'm not too familiar with what they run price wise these days, but maybe you can PM me a package price for what I'd need? I was thinking about going with the 6000's (I like the slight slight blue hint). Just enough of a hint to keep them from looking yellow, lol. And also for the fogs, I think I saw you recommend the 3000's?? Or was that for someone's specific?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #203
diddy5584 is on a distinguished road
diddy5584's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Slim, I purchased your kit a little over a year and a half ago and have been back in stock headlights for almost 5 months now. I have PM'd you a few times and need to find out what I need to do to replace the system or the lights or how to test to see what is wrong. I do not know what lights replace the ones I have and so forth. It would be great to get this figured out as I loved my lights until they quit. They were and hopefully will be the best decision I made lighting wise for my truck. Both bulbs "burnt out" within 2 weeks of each other. I can provide any and all info you need to get me info. Sorry to make this public, but I have not gotten a response and saw that you had posted.

*It should be noted that My purchase with Slim was absolutely fantastic and would do business with him again, I just think that our wires crossed in communications and I have not been able to get a hold of him. He is a reputable dealer and his product was exactly as stated when purchased.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #204
Gringo is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Polish spook
Gringo's Tacoma Gallery
I'll ditto Diddy; have had Slim's kit in my truck since early 2010; replaced one ballast about a year and a half ago and otherwise have been thrilled with the lights, and with Slim's service at every step of the process. A ballast died about a year and a half ago and Slimcubby was very quick in getting a new one to me. Then both lights died seemingly simultaneously right at the start of the big blizzard we had here in the NE. I realize they may have gone off one at a time without my noticing, but I know for sure I had both lights working a week before the storm. I have not PM'd Slimcubby about this issue - I lost power and internet and had other things on my mind.

When one ballast died the first time it was easy to figure out - just swap bulbs and see which part of the chain is broken - but with both sides dead I'm at a loss as to how to diagnose it. Since I needed lights immediately and the weather at the time wasn't conducive to spending a whole lot of time outdoors playing with high-voltage electricity, I bought some Sylvania halogen bulbs and put those in. I really miss having strong lights, but after two failures in 3 years I've lost confidence in the reliability of the HID conversion kit, as this last episode reminded me that headlights are kind of a critical system. Now with the weather starting to warm up to a point where working under the hood is more appealing, Diddys post has me wondering if I should attempt to get some resolution, or resign myself to living with the reliable but inferior Halogens...
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #205
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knwilson View Post
I didn't intend to offend you.

I am just trying to figure out what the differences are? Also, your website only goes up to 2011 vehicles, so I want to ensure I am getting the correct item.
No worries man I know you just want to find out what to order and what works best. If you are interested you can order by bulb size on our website. The newer model trucks have the same headlight bulb size of H4 Bixenon and the fogs have changed to H11 single beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
Hey Slim, I got a few questions for ya, first of all I too am interested in the answer to Wilson's question. And, in about a month I'm about to make a trip from Va to CA (for the 4th trip back and forth, lol) and I know I'm gonna need them. I picked up some budget 6000's for my Highlander on my 3rd trip and it made a huge difference especially while I was trailering 3000lbs around the winding roads in the Rockies driving from CA to VA. I traded in my 02 Highlander for my 13 DCSB TRD Sport.
So now I'm in the market again. I'm not too familiar with what they run price wise these days, but maybe you can PM me a package price for what I'd need? I was thinking about going with the 6000's (I like the slight slight blue hint). Just enough of a hint to keep them from looking yellow, lol. And also for the fogs, I think I saw you recommend the 3000's?? Or was that for someone's specific?
Glad to hear you want to transform back to HID! For your truck you will need the H4 Bixenon kit for the heads and H11 single beam for the fogs. I would recommend the 6000K for both heads and fogs to match. Some people prefer the yellow look in the fogs but that is personal preference. Some will also say that you see better in heavy fog with 3000k. If you purchase both kits together I can work you a discount and will send you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy5584 View Post
Hey Slim, I purchased your kit a little over a year and a half ago and have been back in stock headlights for almost 5 months now. I have PM'd you a few times and need to find out what I need to do to replace the system or the lights or how to test to see what is wrong. I do not know what lights replace the ones I have and so forth. It would be great to get this figured out as I loved my lights until they quit. They were and hopefully will be the best decision I made lighting wise for my truck. Both bulbs "burnt out" within 2 weeks of each other. I can provide any and all info you need to get me info. Sorry to make this public, but I have not gotten a response and saw that you had posted.

*It should be noted that My purchase with Slim was absolutely fantastic and would do business with him again, I just think that our wires crossed in communications and I have not been able to get a hold of him. He is a reputable dealer and his product was exactly as stated when purchased.
I am sorry to have missed your PM's and for those that I have missed please accept my apologies. Not to make any excuses but the HID lights are a second job and with a 2 year old kid and a new baby on the way the days quickly blend from one to the next. So I want to make sure you are a happy camper and get you back up and running. You can email me directly at contact@slimshidxenonsource.com and we can discuss your situation. I will be asking you to install the kit again and to troubleshoot one good side with the other to see what is bad and what is good. Talk with you soon!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #206
g60gti is on a distinguished road
Name: K
g60gti's Tacoma Gallery
We have a lot of snowy nights around here. Could I put yellow kit in the fogs and white for the mains? Is there anything wrong with that?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #207
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
^read the post right above you dude
Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #208
diddy5584 is on a distinguished road
diddy5584's Tacoma Gallery
No worries Slim, I have a 20 month old so I feel ya on no time for anything else. I figured it was just crossed wires or you being busy. I will fire off an email to you. Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #209
g60gti is on a distinguished road
Name: K
g60gti's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
^read the post right above you dude
Thanks, I read throught the first 9 pages and couldn't do anymore. I think I will just go with all one color as I do use the fogs regularly not just in snow.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #210
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road

tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
This was a great write up. I followed along and had zero issues. Thanks!

Here's my setup: DDM tuning HID's - 5000K hi-lo setup with fogs.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #211
Legend in my own mind
CableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of light

CableTec's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it's been a crazy last year for me, and apologies to anyone I didn't respond to via PM; but all pics that were not showing up have been rehosted, so this DIY is now visually complete again. Tacoma is still running like a champ with 90k on the clock. I might keep her forever.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #212
Schully is a jewel in the roughSchully is a jewel in the roughSchully is a jewel in the rough

Name: Aaron
Schully's Tacoma Gallery
i'm doing my fog hid's right now. my truck didn't come with fogs, so does that mean i don't have a stock harness?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #213
cdn_bacon has a spectacular aura aboutcdn_bacon has a spectacular aura aboutcdn_bacon has a spectacular aura about

Name: Christopher
cdn_bacon's Tacoma Gallery
I installed my HID kit about 2 years ago and loved the added brightness but as the system ages it seems I've had constant problems. I've already both headlight bulbs twice and ballasts once and just a month ago both ballasts went on the Fogs. (bulbs unknown at the moment until I change the ballasts).

Slim: I love these things man but I can't afford to change these things out every year or even every other year. What is the normal service life for these parts?
Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #214
biker921 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Ordnance
biker921's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up, but I'm a fan of retrofitting halogen lights with projectors. It's much sharper, and not technically illegal. To legally use HID's, I'm pretty sure you're meant to use projector lenses to focus the light as to not blind fellow drivers. There isn't a cop in town that'll pull you over for it though!
Still, great write up and a clean install.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #215
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_bacon View Post
I installed my HID kit about 2 years ago and loved the added brightness but as the system ages it seems I've had constant problems. I've already both headlight bulbs twice and ballasts once and just a month ago both ballasts went on the Fogs. (bulbs unknown at the moment until I change the ballasts).

Slim: I love these things man but I can't afford to change these things out every year or even every other year. What is the normal service life for these parts?
The bulbs are rated for minimum of 3,000 hours but I've had mine for a couple years now. The ballast should last a lot longer than the bulbs. Let me know if I can help you out at all if your kits dying out quicker than you feel as normal.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #216
bonsai3s is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
bonsai3s's Tacoma Gallery
Smile CableTec....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableTec View Post
Cool! Glad this is helping you guys out. Always nice to contribute to the forums in some way.
...hi CableTec...hope you see this message. I have a 2009 Tacoma and got help on installing the HID kit. To make an extremely long story short, I discovered that I made a mistake on selecting the correct HID bulbs....10K and they are too blue. After much research, (which I should've done in the first place), I purchased the 43k HID Xenon H4 low/high, bulbs.

I feel really stupid and still confused, but here's my question: I've read your article regarding the proper direction of the bulbs when installed......I'm still not clear, sorry....but is the chrome shield on the bottom?...meaning the bulb is facing up...........or is the chrome shield on top and the bulb is facing down?..........which is the correct way? Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai3s View Post
...hi CableTec...hope you see this message. I have a 2009 Tacoma and got help on installing the HID kit. To make an extremely long story short, I discovered that I made a mistake on selecting the correct HID bulbs....10K and they are too blue. After much research, (which I should've done in the first place), I purchased the 43k HID Xenon H4 low/high, bulbs.

I feel really stupid and still confused, but here's my question: I've read your article regarding the proper direction of the bulbs when installed......I'm still not clear, sorry....but is the chrome shield on the bottom?...meaning the bulb is facing up...........or is the chrome shield on top and the bulb is facing down?..........which is the correct way? Thanks!!!!!!!
Bulb shield on the bottom. It should only fit in the housing one way.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #218
bonsai3s is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
bonsai3s's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Just wanted to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
Bulb shield on the bottom. It should only fit in the housing one way.
..."Thank you" to Slimcubby (and CableTec for the post). I was able to remove the 10k bulb and replace it with the 4300k bulb.

Wow! what a huge difference...for the better. My mistake was not doing enough research and mistakenly thought that the higher numbered bulb would give me a brighter light. All the 10k bulb did was pissed off other drivers because of the blue colored light.

Now that I have the correct bulb, the color is clear/white...and best of all, it is so much brighter...we can actually see the road now. Note: I adjusted and lowered the beam just a bit so that I won't blind oncoming drivers.

Again, thanks!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #219
JusticeVA is on a distinguished road
Name: Justice
JusticeVA's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you purchase this kit from and how much did you pay?
Old 12-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeVA View Post
Where did you purchase this kit from and how much did you pay?
Cable bought the kit from one of my group buys. I am actually holding another group buy for December if you want to get in on it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...2-25-13-a.html