Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Official "Slimcubby" HID Kit Install DIY

Old 11-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
Legend in my own mind
CableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of light

CableTec's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by it's in coma View Post
if i have the blackout headlights, would i have the same output on the road? of would the blackout mess up the light pattern?

Assuming that you have now rendered some of the chrome of the headlight housing ineffective; then it might, but that's just a guess. Perhaps someone else can chime in and offer some experience with your situation. Truthfully, I'm not really sure on that one.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #22
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't heard of anybody having different light patterns after the black headlight mod. But I have never done it so I don't know. I would also assume if there is no blacking out of the actual reflective chrome than you should be just fine.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #23
06dak will become famous soon enough06dak will become famous soon enough
06dak's Tacoma Gallery
CableTec,

Are some of your pictures missing, or am I just missing some things because I am at work?
Good write-up!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
Legend in my own mind
CableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of lightCableTec is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06dak View Post
CableTec,

Are some of your pictures missing, or am I just missing some things because I am at work?
Good write-up!

Nope, they should all be there. At least that's what I'm seeing right now, and thanks!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #25
cudason will become famous soon enough

cudason's Tacoma Gallery
which would you recommend doing first, fogs or headlights?
Old 11-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #26
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudason View Post
which would you recommend doing first, fogs or headlights?
Do you mean which to install first or buy first? If buying i would say headlights so you can use them and see how much you like them.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #27
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
So have any of you HID users have other drivers flash you for being to bright. I ask this because HID headlights were originally designed for use with focus beam head lamps. I am a little concerned that there would be a ton of glare from these lights. Any thoughts or user comments would be great.
Thanks,
Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #28
Legend in my own mind

You should not have any issues whatsoever if you aim them correctly after install.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #29
Dreamer
TexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud of

Name: Kellan
TexasBlue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
So have any of you HID users have other drivers flash you for being to bright. I ask this because HID headlights were originally designed for use with focus beam head lamps. I am a little concerned that there would be a ton of glare from these lights. Any thoughts or user comments would be great.
Thanks,
I've been running mine for a couple of weeks now and no flashes. They're definitely brighter than stock, but the glare isn't as bad as you'd think. The design of the bulbs keeps the light bouncing off the top part of the housing, which then bounces towards the ground (opposite when you hit the high beams).

If I park my truck with the lights on and stand out 30 - 40 ft from the front, I can look right at the headlights, no problem. This simulates what an oncoming car might see. Now, if I squat down and put my eyes in the light pattern, well that's another story... super bright.

It also seems like the left (driver) headlight has a different reflector pattern as it's generally a softer dispersion than the right headlight. I've seen people on here say that has to do with not blinding oncoming traffic, which makes sense.

Now that I finally got my other foglight up and running with the HIDs, man, it's like daylight in front of my truck in the middle of the night. I'd argue this mod does more to affect your daily driving experience more than most anything else you can do to the truck. Especially for ~$250.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #30
Legend in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlue View Post
Now that I finally got my other foglight up and running with the HIDs, man, it's like daylight in front of my truck in the middle of the night. I'd argue this mod does more to affect your daily driving experience more than most anything else you can do to the truck. Especially for ~$250.

Agreed on all counts......I just put my replacement left fog in that I got, and these things REALLY light up the road now.

Here's some pics for reference.....6K lamps and fogs:

Lowbeams with fogs:

Lowbeams only:

Highbeams:

Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #31
Legend in my own mind

Oh, and yes the light pattern is different from the right one so as not to blind traffic, but not so much you'd notice when looking at the headlights head on. Rather you'll notice a very slight difference when you are behind the wheel with the lights shining on a wall.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #33
Legend in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
Thanks slim. It has very helpful

You mean me....not slim; and you're welcome.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #35
youngblood is on a distinguished road
youngblood's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlue View Post
Now that I finally got my other foglight up and running with the HIDs, man, it's like daylight in front of my truck in the middle of the night. I'd argue this mod does more to affect your daily driving experience more than most anything else you can do to the truck.
You should experience them on a motorcycle. People actually see you. It is amazing the amount of safety they add to any vehicle IMO.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #36
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
nice pics man, great write up. can you post some up of a driver's POV when you are driving on a road? i want to see what kind of "night vision" you have with these. also, what's the chances of these things burning your headlight housing being they are so bright and run hotter than stock headlights.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #37
Legend in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
nice pics man, great write up. can you post some up of a driver's POV when you are driving on a road? i want to see what kind of "night vision" you have with these. also, what's the chances of these things burning your headlight housing being they are so bright and run hotter than stock headlights.

I have had no problems with any "burning" of the plastic headlight housings so far, but I will keep an eye out. As for a drivers side POV, I will try to get that this weekend for you.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #38
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry the bulb for the head lights is 9003?
and the hid kit came with the male conector?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #39
Gringo is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Polish spook
Gringo's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone had any reliability issues with either ballasts or bulbs? Am wondering whether it's necessary to buy the spare bulbs offered in the group buy... would hate to lose a bulb and then have to source an equivalent replacement, but it seems like the service life of these is pretty long compared to halogen...

seems like 6000k is the best choice for white light...?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Anyone had any reliability issues with either ballasts or bulbs? Am wondering whether it's necessary to buy the spare bulbs offered in the group buy... would hate to lose a bulb and then have to source an equivalent replacement, but it seems like the service life of these is pretty long compared to halogen...

seems like 6000k is the best choice for white light...?
Some people buy extra bulbs but its really not needed right away since they do come with a 12 month warranty.