Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Restoring Headlights worth it or not?

View Poll Results: Restoring head lamps worth it?
Yup it has worked great for me in the past 22 53.66%
Nope just spend the money and get new ones 9 21.95%
Worth a go to see what happens. 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
Restoring Headlights worth it or not?

I have read a lot of posts about folks restoring their head lamps to like new. Well I tried out my first of two applciations. The first one was the 3m headlight kit. It included three different types of sanding levels and one polish. I cleaned the lense as inidcated then tried the three sanding pads as posted. The final step was the polsih. Two batteries later I have one light complete. So I put it to you... worth it or not?

Before

after.

Should I have just spent the cash on two new head lamps for $140 bucks instead of the hour and $20 bucks?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
The clown has no penis...
smallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to all

Name: Brian
smallcandle's Tacoma Gallery
These kits rarely bring headlights back to like-new condition, but it certainly made an improvement in your case. Money and time well-spent IMO.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like some pretty decent results for an hour. If you spent another hour they would look perfect. $20 isn't that bad.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Better than before. But, you should look on Craiglist for your local posting. There should be some guy that would do it for around $60 and warrant it for the life of the headlamp.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
i used 1000 grit wet, 2000 grit wet,(sand until your arm is sore, i did about 10 min per grit per light) and then meguiars plastix, they look AMAZING
Old 11-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
I have been reading and people see better results when using a non battery powered Drill. THey get higher RPM's....

But that is just want I have been reading.
The results you have are worth it for $20 spent.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
radtcma has a brilliant futureradtcma has a brilliant futureradtcma has a brilliant futureradtcma has a brilliant futureradtcma has a brilliant futureradtcma has a brilliant futureradtcma has a brilliant futureradtcma has a brilliant futureradtcma has a brilliant futureradtcma has a brilliant futureradtcma has a brilliant future
Name: Ryan
radtcma's Tacoma Gallery
That is definitely worth the $20. I need to do mine before I get inspected this month
Old 11-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
cam01 is on a distinguished road
cam01's Tacoma Gallery
it is a good idea but it dosent last that long you could also sand them and put an automotive clear cote on them it will last longer it costs a little more but it is better than polishing them every so often
Old 12-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycumulus View Post
wish they just made them out of glass...
x2. My 89 corolla's headlights are crystal clear after 20 years of neglect. One of them does have a rock chip, though....

My Taco's lights were real bad, so for $8 I bought blue magic that took me 30 mins to apply and they look real good now. I have enough solution to last me through maybe 8 more pairs of headlights, as well. Worth it.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

Tacoma02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I used the same 3m kit that you did from Napa and I thought it was well worth it.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
tmolina is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
tmolina's Tacoma Gallery
ttt

I used the 3m kit on my 2002 and they came out crystal clear. My son used it on his 98 and his headlight lens had 3 clear nipples on lens that stick out and chewed up the sanding disks and buffing disk and didn't come out as good as mine but still alot better that what he had before...
Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I say it depends. I used a headlamp restoration kit on mine. It's great when you first do it, but after a while mine have gone back to the way they were before I used the kit. I would say if you want a long term solution, then to go ahead and order a new set.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #16
My R6 Eats Me
AlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
AlexForbesR6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
I say it depends. I used a headlamp restoration kit on mine. It's great when you first do it, but after a while mine have gone back to the way they were before I used the kit. I would say if you want a long term solution, then to go ahead and order a new set.

that happened to me on my mustang...i ended up buying another kit when i sold it so they looked good as new...but i dont doubt that they will be cloudy/yellow in about 6 months..
Old 12-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #17
Idrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud of
Marines: 1341/1343/6222
Name: Ryan
Idrivetoys's Tacoma Gallery
although it definitely depends on how far gone the lens is i started mine last night, with a 3M kit, that utilizes a drill and i kinda hurried through the first lens, but it still came out better, ill re do and do the other one here today and try to get pics up

Ryan
Old 12-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #18
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
The kit itself wont do squat. Use it with sandpaper and they will come out like new.