Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How to clean fogged up headlight covers?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
DaytonLax14 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
DaytonLax14's Tacoma Gallery
How to clean fogged up headlight covers?

I just bought a 1998 tacoma and the headlight covers seem to be really dirty/foggy and the lights don't seem to be very bright (maybe because of the foggy covers?). What is the best way to go about cleaning those?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
snakebite is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
snakebite's Tacoma Gallery
toothpaste and brush. good luck
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #3

for real? is there some kind of kit i can buy to clean them off? Would the fogged up light covers cause the lights to not be very bright/not shine very far?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you can get a headlight lens restoration kit at Wal-Mart (Don't know the $). Yes, a really fogged lens could cause dimmed lights for sure.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
BTW-- Welcome to TW Corey!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #6

thank you sir! i'm gonna go run to wal mart and see if i can pick one up
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Most auto parts stores carry a kit for cleaning glass and head light lenses. The kit includes pads that are impregnated with jewelers paste that you attach to a drill motor and spray water on to activate. I got the kit from Napa Auto Parts for $12.00.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Those kits work ok. The best way is to wet sand with 1500, then 2000 grit, then use a buffing pad (on a buffer or high speed drill) then use a polish, then protect and keep them protected with a good wax or sealant
Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
mcguires makes a kit as well.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
What are headlight covers? Are you referring to the headlights themselves?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #11

the headlight lens
Old 11-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #12
Wandering But Not Lost
Rattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to behold

Rattler's Tacoma Gallery
Seeing fogged covers is sort of a pet-peave of mine. I use Maguires mag wheel cleaner and a terrycloth rag and have not found anything that works better (even tried 3M Microfinish). That is probably all the kits consist of anyway. A couple runs over the lights and follow up with some wax if you like.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #13
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Seeing fogged covers is sort of a pet-peave of mine. I use Maguires mag wheel cleaner and a terrycloth rag and have not found anything that works better (even tried 3M Microfinish). That is probably all the kits consist of anyway. A couple runs over the lights and follow up with some wax if you like.
I have used them mag wheel cleaner as well it seems to work pretty good but you still need something to polish them up afterwards to give them a shine.