1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen bed light mod

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by maconhurler, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Nov 6, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    maconhurler

maconhurler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    04 4wd v6 sr5
    Deckplate Mod, Catz Fog lights, Roll Top Tonneau Cover, Pioneer Premier 800prs HU, 10" Kicker L7, Kicker 5 1/4 components, Polk dB 5x7s, Oznium superflux puddle lights and bed lights
    Got tired of hopelessly searching for that lost can of soup in the bed of my truck, scrounging around to find where my flashlight went, all the while being yelled at by my wife because her hands were full and I wasn't opening the door quick enough. Thus....my bed light mod. Thanks to http://www.oznium.com, cost me $15 after shipping for four Superflux lights and a switch.

First, installed an add-a-fuse to the 7.5 amp Alt-S fuse slot in the main fuse box. I wanted a constant hot to be able to turn the lights on an off at my whim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran the power wire through the fire wall to connect the switch.

[​IMG]

Removed the panel under the steering wheel for easy access to where my switch was being installed (just beside the Clutch Cancel button).

[​IMG]

Drilled a hole with a 3/4 drill bit to install the rocker switch. Installed the switch with the prewired connectors and some weatherproof butt connectors (although due to being in a hurry last night didn't get around to heat shrinking yet).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled holes on both sides by the tailgate latches to install the lights. Took much trial and error to get the holes the size I wanted--wanted a nice snug fit with a specific depth. Tucked the resistors behind the tailgate latches by loosening the latch, tucking the resistors, and re-tightening the latches. I used the bottom latch bolts as my ground for the lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed the taillights to run the power wires, also connected with weatherproof butt connectors) for the lights behind them.

[​IMG]

Split the power wire to run one power lead to each wire using insulated spade connectors.

[​IMG]

Ran the power to the right side light under the bed cable tied to existing wire loom.

[​IMG]

Ran the main power wire from behind taillights up the inside of the fender through the back wall of the cab, under the door sill panel and connected to the rocker switch. Sorry, didn't think to take a picture of this.

Reinstalled the lights, superglued the lights in place, and turned it on. Pic with switch turned on.

[​IMG]

And of course, the finished result. Pic from about 10-15 feet behind my truck.

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed. I know I was tired of seeing everyone else having the option of lights in the bed...color me jealous, but I wanted the same.

2. Nov 6, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    wow, I want it..lol

3. Nov 8, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    JayDub

JayDub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Pendleton, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    Nice..I'm wondering how much the tonneau helps with the light output into the bed? Should us with open beds maybe use a couple more lights towards the front of the bed to help out?

I'd like to give it a shot.. though I think i'd like to try adding a 2dn switch in the bed..so that I'd be able to turn the lights off/on from outside the truck.

thanks for the ideas!

4. Nov 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    one of the 2nd gen guys added a switch in the tailgate so the lights come on automatically when you open the gate, and also a switch in the cab.

5. Nov 9, 2009 at 3:37 AM
    maconhurler

maconhurler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    04 4wd v6 sr5
    Deckplate Mod, Catz Fog lights, Roll Top Tonneau Cover, Pioneer Premier 800prs HU, 10" Kicker L7, Kicker 5 1/4 components, Polk dB 5x7s, Oznium superflux puddle lights and bed lights
    I'd considered putting the switch in the bed, but couldn't decide where exactly I wanted to put it. Having the tonneau definitely helps reflect the light around in the back. If I had an open bed I would likely put two more towards the middle of the bed shooting towards the cab. I wouldnt put them by the cab shooting back--light in the eyes isnt very pleasant or usable.

Products Discussed in

To Top