1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BHLM HELp..

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sandman427, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Nov 7, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    AY i was wondering how long it took u guys to do the BHLM..?? THe reason y i ask is cuz i wanna do it on SCMD..?? If i could do it there that would be bad ass... i just dont want it to take more than a day cuz i dont wanna drive with no LIGHTS HAHA... Thanks

2. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Took me about 2.5 hours. but I have done the BHLM on all my cars and on some of my friends' cars so I'm pretty good at it.

3. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    for sure... thanks broo... do u have any pics of the install..??

4. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    nope only the finished product

5. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    DTacoms

DTacoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    I did mine in 6 hours. What took too long was the trial and error of oven heat and messing up with the paint when putting the lens back.

Most of the guys in the mod day have done it, so it will not take the whole day.

6. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    tim920

tim920 Never seen Forest Gump

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V6
    Took me about 6 hours too because I know nothing about about how to take anything apart. I'm a newbie at all the modding. The most frustrating part is taking the lights out of the truck. Since you're going to a meet, people there should help you out. It doesn't take that long. I used krylon fusion and waited 15 minutes between each coat. I did 4 coats. I DID NOT sand, primer, clear or anything else.

7. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I'm doing mine today...wish me luck lol

8. Nov 7, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    ColtsTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I got some clear silicone to seal the edges up nice and tight just in case. So I guess we preheat the oven at 300, pop the head light in and turn the oven off. Leave it in for 8 min. and pop er off :) Chris4x4 told me to watch out for the heated sealant because it gets all stringy and I guess its a bitch to get off the lense

9. Nov 7, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    I have always done 250 degrees for 7 minutes. pry them a little, pop them back in for 5 more minutes, then pry them open the rest of the way.

Make sure you seal them up with silicon around all the seams. I got some condensation in mine the first time I did them which is weird because all of the cars I have done over the years the factory glue resealed fine. I had to take them back off and put them in the oven to evaporate the condensation. Since I siliconed them I havent had any condensation.

10. Nov 7, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    That's what worked for me... my oven isn't very accurate so I ended up leaving mine in for about 12 min total. Tried getting them apart at 10 minutes, but needed more time. If you read all the BHLM threads/responses everyone just about used a different temp (from 200 - 300) and "bake" times.

Yes it is a pain to get the sealant off the lense :eek:

Good luck ;)

11. Nov 7, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    DTacoms

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    Make sure to use something non-heat conducting material between the tray and lights, like cardboard or plywood. I used aluminum foil first since that is what the DIY said, the plastic housing melted.:(

0721091645-00.jpg

12. Nov 7, 2009 at 1:44 PM
    ColtsTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    so what about the black weather strip on the top of the head light? Should I peel that off??

13. Nov 7, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    DTacoms

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    You don't need to.

I also recommend removing the screws and take the tabs out before putting in the oven.

14. Nov 7, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    ive always wanted to do this but im so nervous

15. Nov 7, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    You're afraid of this and you did the satoshi??? The headlights are a pain to peel apart, but just read the "original" instructions and you won't have any problems....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/2327-blacking-out-headlights-how.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106329

Just read through the threads.... learn from others' mistakes. I copied the instructions (parts of them I wanted) into MS Word and printed up the instructions and read them over several times before I even went near my truck.

If you can do the satoshi, you can do the lights :thumbsup:

16. Nov 7, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Me too that's y I'm waiting till mode haha... So if I get this right some krylon paint and clear coat an oven should do the tric..?? Haha.. Thanks again for all the help fellas....

17. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:08 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    ill see about this oven... dont know how its gonna work at SCMD..?? but thanks for the help...

18. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:36 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    :eek:

aluminum foil! wow, i never noticed than in the dyi. that shit needs to be corrected asap! but again... the material doesnt really matter, just the temp of the oven. pre heat first. throw them in. 5 min. peal. paint. repeat.

19. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:40 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
  20. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:53 PM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    cardboard ftw!!!

i did this a while back and i LOVE it...it wasnt too hard...in fact the hardest part was putting my headlight in my oven without touching the sides!

Products Discussed in

To Top