LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Can you get brighter tail lights?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
Question Can you get brighter tail lights?

This might be a very stupid question but I was wondering about this yesterday. I just ordered some lights that somebody tinted and know that brightness could be an issue. The tint looks pretty dark and I'm worried I might get pulled with the new lights. Is there such a thing as a brighter bulb you can use to kind of offset the tinting of the light? I'm not too worried about the brightness when braking its just the regular running light being too dim at night that I'm worried about.

Like I said this is probably a dumb question but is there a bulb I could use that would be brighter?

Here's a pic of the lights.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
you can try an LED bulb...but i'd be more worried about the dumbasses on the road seeing you moreso than the cops

a ticket hurts sure...but how about being rearended full speed
Old 11-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
you can try an LED bulb...but i'd be more worried about the dumbasses on the road seeing you moreso than the cops

a ticket hurts sure...but how about being rearended full speed
That's what I would worry about with this mod. Even if it was the other guy's fault, blame could be placed on me because the mod makes the lights dimmer.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
pikegi is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Brandon
pikegi's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good to me! Maybe get a led light bar for under the tailgate!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
That's what I would worry about with this mod. Even if it was the other guy's fault, blame could be placed on me because the mod makes the lights dimmer.
I've thought about that and at first it convinced me to stay away from them but the more I thought about it the more I realized that for somebody to run up on you at night and rearend you they would see you in their headlights from a pretty good distance before they hit you. And with braking I'm not going to tint the light on the top of the cab so I should be good... in theory.

Do they make and LED replacement bulb for the stock ones?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtigerfan View Post
I've thought about that and at first it convinced me to stay away from them but the more I thought about it the more I realized that for somebody to run up on you at night and rearend you they would see you in their headlights from a pretty good distance before they hit you. And with braking I'm not going to tint the light on the top of the cab so I should be good... in theory.

yeah they make one...its avail at most auto part stores

youd be surprised though...say youre driving x mph because its pouring ass rain on the interstate...you havent braked to make them brighter

driver b is running x+ mph and doesnt see you

this is NOT an uncommon scenario

im not saying dont do it...im just saying...know what you may be getting into
Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
LED cluster or you'll have to hack it apart and put in an LED board.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
LED cluster or you'll have to hack it apart and put in an LED board.
good point tigerfan00 that scenario didn't come to mind. I don't get on the interstate very much though but the rain thing is a legitimate concern.

I read LEDs aren't as bright as conventional bulbs but that a bulb the same color as the lense would let more light through because the lenses wont block the wavelengths of red light as much as they would white light. Any truth to this?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Yes, but have you driven behind a car with incandescents versus one with LEDs?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
i havent had any probs yet

but i didnt go to dark
Old 11-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtigerfan View Post

The problem isn't at night. It would be worse in the daytime as sunlight tends to wash out the bulb's light. Even incandescents aren't as noticable in the day as they are at night. Also, the dark taillight mod is not DOT approved so in court you might still be held partially liable even if you think the other driver should have been able to see them.

I've been behind a truck with real dark taillight lenses and what I believe were LED bulbs. They were so dim I could barely tell he was hitting the brakes in daylight.

Most LED bulbs are too dim, especially the pancake shaped ones. The biggest problem with them is their light is very directional and so they don't utilize the light assembly's reflector so unless the shape itself is large, it looks like two small dots. There are some out now that emulate an incandescent bulb by shinning light to the side so it hits the reflector. I found these on http://www.superbrightleds.com

I've never tried them so I don't know how well they work or how bright they are (you would want dual filament for the tail lights).

It's a common mod on my motorcycle because people are looking to save watts so they can run heated jackets, vests and extra driving lights. I did find one that was pretty bright. It was directional as well but it was large so it filled up most of the bike's tail light lens. I doubt you would be able to get it through the stock bulb hole.

I've also heard that red shows better through the tail light lens than white does.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
grab one of those line of fire brake lights if its that big of a deal