Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hella 700ff HID conversion.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Hella 700ff HID conversion.

I have gotten a couple Pm's about how i converted my Hella 700ff to HID, So i decided to do a write up to help anyone out that wants more visibility with there Hella 700ff or hella 500. I want to thank rzimmer001 who showed me how to originally do it.
Ok the bulb in a hella 700/500 is a h3 bulb. Here is a site to buy the HIDs for only $40 a pair.
Edited: New link. http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...parent=85&pg=1

First off take the plastic housing off, then cut a 1" diameter hole in the back, this is for the rubber boot around the wires for the hid bulbs.

Now take the halogen bulb out along with the ground piece. so all there should be is two black prongs. Now the HID bulb does not fit right in so you are going to trim the two black prongs. Its really hard to tell you how much to trim, but just trim the sides and the height of the prongs tell you can fit the bulb in, just dont trim too much.

Now once you got the bulb in, bend the black prongs flat to secure the bulb in. I suggest using some hot glue around the base of the HID bulb to completely seal the light.
Now put the light back together, and place the rubber boot into the plastic back cover of the offroad light.
so now the wires come out directly back.

Ok now to mount the ballast, this is where i mounted mine, you may have a different place to mount them depending on where you mounted your off road light. Mine are zip tied to the plastic support under the top of the bumper.

Feel free to PM me for any questions.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
That is awesome! Thanks for the write-up and great photos. Do the wires have to be upgraded to do this mod?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nope the HID actually use less power because they are more efficient than the halogen bulbs.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! Thanks man. I really want to do this in the near future.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
sweeeeet, ill be doing this next payday
Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capita View Post
Awesome! Thanks man. I really want to do this in the near future.
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
sweeeeet, ill be doing this next payday
Nice. you will love the light power.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
this should be a sticky!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
nice. I think I might try and do a HID conversion with my 500FF's. Now that I have 6000K HIDs in my regular lights, the hellas are pretty much worthless anymore.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
how hot do the HID's get cause i may also try this with my 500ff
Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timicha View Post
how hot do the HID's get cause i may also try this with my 500ff
They are the same if not a little cooler running than the stock halogen light bulb. The HID will be fine on the hella 500 housing.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellosa89 View Post
They are the same if not a little cooler running than the stock halogen light bulb. The HID will be fine on the hella 500 housing.
awesome ill be ordering hid's for my headlights and hella's next week then. how come everyone doesn't buy there HID's from these people instead of paying 145 or somthing in the group buys???
Old 11-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
MotoXXX has a spectacular aura aboutMotoXXX has a spectacular aura aboutMotoXXX has a spectacular aura about

MotoXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up! I have the 500ff, do you use the relay and stock wiring on the HIDs?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
MotoXXX has a spectacular aura aboutMotoXXX has a spectacular aura aboutMotoXXX has a spectacular aura about

MotoXXX's Tacoma Gallery
What color temp woulb be the best? Also they have a 55w now for 10$ more. Should work yes?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXXX View Post
Nice write up! I have the 500ff, do you use the relay and stock wiring on the HIDs?
Yep it works just fine with the stock wiring harness.

Quote:
What color temp woulb be the best? Also they have a 55w now for 10$ more. Should work yes?
I recomend going with 4500k to 6k since they are going to be for offroading you need the best visibility. and yes i would get the 55w it will be even better the only reason i didn't get them cause i bought the HIDs from a friend for dirt cheap cause he didn't need them anymore.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #16

MotoXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep it works just fine with the stock wiring harness.

I recomend going with 4500k to 6k since they are going to be for offroading you need the best visibility. and yes i would get the 55w it will be even better the only reason i didn't get them cause i bought the HIDs from a friend for dirt cheap cause he didn't need them anymore.
Great, thanks! Last questions before I order, I need the H3 ones correct? What would the brightest ones be? 5k?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
Timicha

Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Great, thanks! Last questions before I order, I need the H3 ones correct? What would the brightest ones be? 5k?
most people say between 4500 and 6k are the best, im gonna go 6k when i get mine, both my room mates got 6k and they are amazingly bright
Old 11-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timicha View Post
most people say between 4500 and 6k are the best, im gonna go 6k when i get mine, both my room mates got 6k and they are amazingly bright
Yea get the H3 for the hellas, i have the 5k cause i really like a pure white look in the dirt.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea get the H3 for the hellas, i have the 5k cause i really like a pure white look in the dirt.
Well, if he goes with the 6000K 55w's then they'll probably be comparable. The 55w's bleach out some of the color vs the 35w's
Old 11-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Well, if he goes with the 6000K 55w's then they'll probably be comparable. The 55w's bleach out some of the color vs the 35w's
Yea ive seen the 6k 55w they are almost identical to the 35w 5k in color.