LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Why does nobody tie their off road lights into their high beams?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Tacfroma
Rooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud of

Name: Jesse
Rooty's Tacoma Gallery
Why does nobody tie their off road lights into their high beams?

Hey Boys and Girls,

So I bought a set of IPF off road lights to go with my new ARB bumper which is on the way . I am expecting the instructions to be garbage so I hopped on the forum and tried to do some research on how to install them. I found about a bigillion threads on how to install off road lights with an independent switch in various ways but was unable to find out how to tie them into the high beams.

Is there a reason for this?

I bought these for on and off road. I want them on with my high beams but I don't want to have to reach down every time there is oncoming traffic to turn them off. Montana allows two auxiliary lamps to be on with the high beams if they aren't more than 42 inches off the ground and you turn them off within 1000 feet of oncoming traffic. So unless Montana is more liberal than most states with its lighting laws (I know we are with gun laws ) I'm assuming its just preference on everybody's part? Maybe people just like "flippin switches yo!" or am I missing something here?

Also, since I was unable to find anything with the search function can someone point me in the right direction to tie these bad boys into my high beams? Do I just install a fuse tap in the high beam slot and run it to the off road relay or what?

Muchas Gracias!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
well where i live u will get a nice ticket if you dont have them covered on paved roads. but i like to turn them on with my low beams when im offroading so i can see all the up close obstacles and still see far because of my offroad light.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i chose not to tie mine in to my headlights at all

for 1...im lazy...2nd...i want to be able to use them whenever...even if the truck is off...
Old 12-04-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
Tacfroma
Rooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud of

Name: Jesse
Rooty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellosa89 View Post
well where i live u will get a nice ticket if you dont have them covered on paved roads. but i like to turn them on with my low beams when im offroading so i can see all the up close obstacles and still see far because of my offroad light.
Damn you are required to cover them? That sucks bro, how gaytarded! I always thought people covered them to make sure everybody knew how much they spent on them I hate band naming slaves. Do the wire mesh covers count?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #7
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea but it depends on the cop, 99% of them are cool with the mesh ones. But if they catch u with them on they go nuts. i even once had them on in a parking lot to show my friend the HID conversion and a cop pulled up and started lecturing me on how he could give me a ticket.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
.i want to be able to use them whenever...even if the truck is off...
x2 i like being able to turn them on even with my truck off.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 AM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

haha

just wait

next you'll learn im really a cop too
Old 12-04-2009, 03:07 AM   #13
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
haha

just wait

next you'll learn im really a cop too
Old 12-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #14
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellosa89 View Post
yea but it depends on the cop, 99% of them are cool with the mesh ones. But if they catch u with them on they go nuts. i even once had them on in a parking lot to show my friend the HID conversion and a cop pulled up and started lecturing me on how he could give me a ticket.
He was just being an officious bastard- There is a slim to none chance he could have ticketed you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooty View Post
Yeah cops are there "to protect and serve". Serve up hot fresh tickets that is. Don't worry its for your own good
Read up on Gonzales vs Castle Rock- "Protect and Serve" is old school- Cops are really nothing but armed historians who occasional solve some crimes. (You know I mean that with the utmost respect Tiger!!)
Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If they're driving lights..... Here in PA - you have to run them with the high beams. It's illegal to have driving lights on with anything else. Fogs are legal with low beams.

Although I can't remember exactly, but you simply find the HOT wire (at the headlight itself) while the high beams are on and tap into that.

I used to wire mine legally but I rarely use the high beams. So now, I have mine wired separately so I can use them whenever I want. Technically, that is illegal...and when inpection time rolls around, I disconnect all power from them to pass inspection.

And yeah...in PA... If they're not 20" apart (center to center) we're also required to cover them. But - I never do and haven't got stopped yet.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 AM   #17
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn you are required to cover them? That sucks bro, how gaytarded! I always thought people covered them to make sure everybody knew how much they spent on them I hate band naming slaves. Do the wire mesh covers count?
Not required to cover them here but they are covered so they stay pit free crack free from all the frwy driving for when they are needed. I haven't ever named any bands & don't care if I ever do, much less am I a slave to naming them. Not in the music business, lol. But my covers ARE "brand-free" as you can see. Not sure wire mesh covers would count since light goes thru them if living in place that's anal about it like that. Guessing fully covered to block light is their intention with that....

Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #18
2yr Old Co-Pilot
nharkey85 is on a distinguished road

Name: Neil
nharkey85's Tacoma Gallery
tie in to the highbeam hotwire through a relay so they come one that way. then jump the relay with a switch so they come on when ever.

works for my aux back-up lights.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #19
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey Boys and Girls,

So I bought a set of IPF off road lights to go with my new ARB bumper which is on the way . I am expecting the instructions to be garbage so I hopped on the forum and tried to do some research on how to install them. I found about a bigillion threads on how to install off road lights with an independent switch in various ways but was unable to find out how to tie them into the high beams.

Is there a reason for this?

I bought these for on and off road. I want them on with my high beams but I don't want to have to reach down every time there is oncoming traffic to turn them off. Montana allows two auxiliary lamps to be on with the high beams if they aren't more than 42 inches off the ground and you turn them off within 1000 feet of oncoming traffic. So unless Montana is more liberal than most states with its lighting laws (I know we are with gun laws ) I'm assuming its just preference on everybody's part? Maybe people just like "flippin switches yo!" or am I missing something here?

Also, since I was unable to find anything with the search function can someone point me in the right direction to tie these bad boys into my high beams? Do I just install a fuse tap in the high beam slot and run it to the off road relay or what?

Muchas Gracias!
Along with all the other good thoughts on the subject I would say that you would need the OR lights on a seperate switch in case you blow a fuse you would still have some lights. Just a thought! ! ! !! !!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #20
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
i just the option to turn them on whenever i want, just the offroad lights, with lows or highs..i dont want to limit how i can use them. That just seems pointless