Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Anytime Foglight mod explained electrical (diagrams)

Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #21
trdracing38 is on a distinguished road
trdracing38's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to trdracing38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke View Post
trdracing, Follow the first or second link in my original post and you will see detailed instructions. This thread was created only for the purposes of showing the diagram.
I did go through that but it's not specific enough. The picture only shows the completed product unless I am missing something. Anything a little more in depth..??
Old 02-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #22
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not great at reading wiring diagrams but I did the MOD using the instructions posted in the cheap/free section. I just work better with pictures.

Thanks for showing a more detailed 'picture' of whats going on. Great easy mod!

Quote:
There have been reports of some users driving around forgetting to turn on their headlights and in doing so driving around with no taillights!
I have done this on several occasions and find that to be the only downside to this mod. I'm getting in the habit of looking for the green indicator light. But it could suck to not see it at the wrong moment.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #23
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing38 View Post
I did go through that but it's not specific enough. The picture only shows the completed product unless I am missing something. Anything a little more in depth..??
It's so simple that some people make it out to be harder than it is.

Here is my version:
Pop the fuse and bend the leg. ( It may take some gentle wriggling with the needle-nose pliers, and some heft to pull the fuse out. )

Route and attach the wire using the quick splice

Your done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
I'm not great at reading wiring diagrams but I did the MOD using the instructions posted in the cheap/free section. I just work better with pictures.

Thanks for showing a more detailed 'picture' of whats going on. Great easy mod!

I have done this on several occasions and find that to be the only downside to this mod. I'm getting in the habit of looking for the green indicator light. But it could suck to not see it at the wrong moment.
Your welcome. Me too!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #24
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
LeadFootCaliKid's Tacoma Gallery
This is by far the easiest MOD you can do. I had Coke do mine for be because I was confused like I'm sure most of you are. He is a very cool very nice guy, but I could have saved some money if I bothered to understand what I was doing.

All you're doing it using the Ignition wire to power your fog light relay instead of your Headlights. Which means, anytime the key is in the "ON" possition, you can use your fog's. It's as simple as it sounds. Bend that connection, use about 3-4" of wire to route it to the ignition (GREEN) wire, and quick splice it in.

Thanks again Coke. Definitely very useful mod.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #25
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks Blake.

Sometimes people ask about which AWG wire to use on the jumper wire. It doesn't matter too much, AWG 14-18 is sufficient. I took an old computer power cord, and cut the end off, pulled the protective insulating sheath off and I had three good insulated wires inside (black, white, and green).
Old 02-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #26
Exclamation

Quote:
It's so simple that some people make it out to be harder than it is.

Here is my version:Pop the fuse and bend the leg. ( It may take some gentle wriggling with the needle-nose pliers, and some heft to pull the fuse out. )

Route and attach the wire using the quick splice

Your welcome. Me too!
Ok got the first part about popping the fuse and bending the leg. This is where the connection will happen, right? I see the green wire. Now when I am "quick splicing" into the green wire I don't need to change the green wire right? I literally attach the quick splice to the green wire before the plug and run the red wire to the fog light relay right? What size is the red wire?

Coke....maybe I'll just have you do it hahaha sorry for the questions. Feel like an idiot lol
Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #27

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok got the first part about popping the fuse and bending the leg.

This is where the connection will happen, right? YES

I see the green wire. Now when I am "quick splicing" into the green wire I don't need to change the green wire right? RIGHT

I literally attach the quick splice to the green wire before the plug and run the red wire to the fog light relay right? YES, and YES

What size is the red wire? 18 or 16 AWG

Coke....maybe I'll just have you do it hahaha sorry for the questions. Feel like an idiot lol
Hope that helps. See bold above. If you want to edit your post and delete the quoted images, that would make the thread a bit nicer. Thanks.

Update: 11-10-2010 Please see jivewalker's method which does not require a splice.

This is what piercedtiger wrote a few years ago about this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post

Tools/items needed:
  • wire stripper
  • 1 quick splice
  • 1 female blade connector
  • 6" of wire
  • drill/bit same diameter as wire
  • shrink tube/electrical tape to reinforce crimp connection (optional)
  1. Locate the green wire on the plug in the pic
  2. splice into it
  3. run the wire to the fog light relay through a hole to keep it low and not hit the cover
  4. crimp on the female blade connector onto the wire
  5. pull the fog relay and bend the terminal in the pic to the side
  6. put the female blade connector onto the bent terminal on the fog relay
  7. replace fog relay
Old 02-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #28
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
well once you get it figured out come over to my place and do mine

Quote:
Ok got the first part about popping the fuse and bending the leg. This is where the connection will happen, right? I see the green wire. Now when I am "quick splicing" into the green wire I don't need to change the green wire right? I literally attach the quick splice to the green wire before the plug and run the red wire to the fog light relay right? What size is the red wire?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #30
Thumbs up

Coke! Thanks so much! I got it! And it was extremely easy.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #31
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
well once you get it figured out come over to my place and do mine
I GOT IT!! super easy bajamoon. I'll come and help you haha
Old 02-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #32
Tibbs will become famous soon enoughTibbs will become famous soon enough
Name: Eric
Tibbs's Tacoma Gallery
Just did mine I used a butt connector though. Only difficult part was stripping the the green wire because my strippers a bit old and wouldn't do that small of wire, but other than that it was really easy. I'll take some pictures tonight when it's easier to see the lights.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #33
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
LeadFootCaliKid's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Coke, did you ever figure out that alternating corner light/turn signal thing?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #34
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
is this a female blade connector?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2103502#
Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #35

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFootCaliKid View Post
Hey Coke, did you ever figure out that alternating corner light/turn signal thing?
Not yet. Will try to do it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2150 View Post
Aye, it is. It will attach to the leg of the relay and will make a secure connection.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #37
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Aye, it is. It will attach to the leg of the relay and will make a secure connection.
Are the female blade connectors universal in size? How do I know if I buy one that's too big or small and won't fit?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #38

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
The female side is universal. However, the side where you crimp the wire is not. It will be segregated by the size of the wire your working with and it is standardized by (AWG) American Wire Gage. AWG 14-18 is what I used if I remember right.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #39

Thanks Coke for your quick responses. Reading this thread and the piercedtiger post, I'm confident I can do this mod!