Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Anytime Foglight mod explained electrical (diagrams)

Old 04-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #141
KrispyTaco is on a distinguished road
KrispyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Crooks, see post #133. IMO this is the cleanest way with the most options on how you want to run your lights. You can use the air pump heater socket (lower right slot), but it will turn on your fog lights after a few minutes of engine shutdown. You would have to remember to turn off your fog light switch when getting out of your Taco.

No way around it. You will have to run a wire to the main fuse/relay box. It can be done very stealthy. You can use the spot mentioned in post #133 or get power from the Trailer Towing relay. You must have your parking lights on to use the fog lights if you connect to the Trailer Towing relay. If you use the spot mentioned in post#133, you can run your fogs and the DTRL. This is not possible if you use Trailer Towing relay.

Both are excellent mods! It's all about preference.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #142
crooks420 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
crooks420's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have any references to the air pump heater, and why does my truck NOT have this?

Jesse
Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #143
KrispyTaco is on a distinguished road
KrispyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks420 View Post
Do you have any references to the air pump heater, and why does my truck NOT have this?

Jesse
I have no references and no idea. My truck has the connections there too, but no relay either.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #145
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande View Post
Score! Finally did this mod, i havent been on here in a long ass time tho.

It was really easy, seriously did it in like 5 min. Just like post#78 explains it.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #146
TOMRR is on a distinguished road

Marines: 1966 to 1972 Sgt. 2ND. Battalion 26 Marines
Name: Tom
TOMRR's Tacoma Gallery
Fog Lights any time

I just did the no splice method to my fog lights went smooth on and off when I want them Iam hopeing no side effect's
Thanks for the Great Idea

Tom C.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #148
JNSRacing is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
JNSRacing's Tacoma Gallery
This Mod Rocks !! Thanks jivewalker and to all @ Tacoma World !!!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #149
WARR4NT is on a distinguished road
WARR4NT's Tacoma Gallery
I know what I'm gonna attempt this weekend...thanks
Old 07-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #150
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny E View Post
After cintocrunch showed me the ueasy way it occured to me this could be done even cleaner. The image below is the underside of the sub panel. If you were to swap the red/black wire in the upper right corner with the pale green wire in the lower right you would not need the jumper wire or to mess with the relay. Note if you have heated seat the this would be bad as now they would only work with the headlights on lowbeam

I took a look at this tonight and it seems there is a small clip holding the witing connector in the panel. If anyone know how to release the clipthis would be a super clean mod, heck it would even be fused as it is a factory wire

The heated seats aren't pre-wired on my truck so no extra green wire to tap into. Is there another spot I can jumper from within the smaller side box so that I don't have to fish another wire back to the main box?

Edit: Reference Pics:

Old 08-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #151
datacoflip is on a distinguished road
datacoflip's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks jivewalker!!!! Just did the mod in like 10 min, works great.
Will let you folks know if there are side effects.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #152
cdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to behold
Marines:
cdh7917's Tacoma Gallery
Can someone put up some details as to how this would be tapped into the trailer harness?

I would like to have my fogs only operate if my parking lights are turned on. I have no need for them to operate 100% independently from all other lights.

Thank you!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #153
cdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to beholdcdh7917 is a splendid one to behold
Marines:
cdh7917's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Gang!

I decided that when I did this, I didn't want to have my fogs work anytime the ignition was turned on. I only wanted my fogs to operate when my parking lights (at a minimum), and work independently of my low and hi beam headlights.

While the other solutions worked great for any time, I needed something different. Running wires outside the main fuse/relay panel under the hood was least desirable.

Please see pictures attached below. This is for 2012 models, with the towing package, and the fog relay in the smaller sub-panel. I also am not pre-wired for heated seats.

1. Using a 18-20 AWG stranded wire, feed it through the edge of the main panel, where the bottom clips into the main body of it. This is directly adjacent to the brown relay at the edge of the box.

2. Untape the main bundle of wires into the smaller sub-panel, and add the new wire to the bundle. Retape as needed, to make it look factory. Super-stealth!

3. In the center of the sub-panel, you can see a small hole. Fish the wire from the bottom, up to the top.

**At this point, the wire is simply run, and not connected to anything**

4. Remove the relay for the Tow circuit. Taking the end of the wire in the main panel, strip off about 3/4" of insulation, and bend the wire in a tight "V" shape. This V is then placed on the spade of the Towing Relay that is closest to the drivers' side fender, and then reinsert the relay into its space. This will be a tight fit.

5. Strip and crimp on a female spade connect to the other end.

6. Follow the rest of the procedure already outlined, and attach it to the fog relay.

Enjoy!

Parking lights:

Low Beams:

Hi Beams:
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #154
SirLance7281 is on a distinguished road
Name: Lance
SirLance7281's Tacoma Gallery
I've tried different ways of doing this and no matter what position my light setting is on. Example Parking, DRL, Lows my fog lights are always on. Even when I have the setting on park lights my lows come on with my fogs. I want to have my fogs on with my DRL or with my highs. I would like to beable to turn them on and off when I want on any setting I want. Like the rest of you guys out there. What am I doing wrong? I've went from the fog light fuse to the ignition switch. I dont know what to do everytime my lows come on even when the switch is in the off position. Any ideas? Hope that makes a little sence. Thank-you.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #155
hakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
hakabo's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2007, tried the splice method and could never get the fog lights to work with the fuse pin bent out, and the fogs and head lights were ALWAYS on if i just stuffed the wires into the fuse pin hole. splicing into the green wire didnt work at all, i never had independent fogs. any ideas????
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #156
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakabo View Post
i have a 2007, tried the splice method and could never get the fog lights to work with the fuse pin bent out, and the fogs and head lights were ALWAYS on if i just stuffed the wires into the fuse pin hole. splicing into the green wire didnt work at all, i never had independent fogs. any ideas????
Can you explain more of what your process was? What did you have the wire connected to when you bent out the (what I'm assuming you mean is the) relay.

And may I suggest this method:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...high-beam.html

It only comes on if your parking lights are on. But I drive with my parking lights on anyways since they also turn on my brake lights
Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #157
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=cdh7917;5552328]Hey Gang!

I decided that when I did this, I didn't want to have my fogs work anytime the ignition was turned on. I only wanted my fogs to operate when my parking lights (at a minimum), and work independently of my low and hi beam headlights.

While the other solutions worked great for any time, I needed something different. Running wires outside the main fuse/relay panel under the hood was least desirable.

Please see pictures attached below. This is for 2012 models, with the towing package, and the fog relay in the smaller sub-panel. I also am not pre-wired for heated seats.

1. Using a 18-20 AWG stranded wire, feed it through the edge of the main panel, where the bottom clips into the main body of it. This is directly adjacent to the brown relay at the edge of the box.

2. Untape the main bundle of wires into the smaller sub-panel, and add the new wire to the bundle. Retape as needed, to make it look factory. Super-stealth!

3. In the center of the sub-panel, you can see a small hole. Fish the wire from the bottom, up to the top.

**At this point, the wire is simply run, and not connected to anything**

4. Remove the relay for the Tow circuit. Taking the end of the wire in the main panel, strip off about 3/4" of insulation, and bend the wire in a tight "V" shape. This V is then placed on the spade of the Towing Relay that is closest to the drivers' side fender, and then reinsert the relay into its space. This will be a tight fit.

5. Strip and crimp on a female spade connect to the other end.

6. Follow the rest of the procedure already outlined, and attach it to the fog relay.

I did this method tonight, works great. I felt the same way, didn't want to deal with turning 2 switches off. Thanks for posting this cdh7917

Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #158
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
I did this Saturday in 10 minutes using jivewalker's method in post #78. Worked great, then Sunday, no fog lights. Connections were good, still nothing. I'm new to the truck and there isn't an owners manual. I'm thinking a fuse blew for the fog lamps, I'm just not sure where to look for the fuse. Is it in the same section as the Relay (under the hood) or is it in the dash near the switch? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #159
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
I did this Saturday in 10 minutes using jivewalker's method in post #78. Worked great, then Sunday, no fog lights. Connections were good, still nothing. I'm new to the truck and there isn't an owners manual. I'm thinking a fuse blew for the fog lamps, I'm just not sure where to look for the fuse. Is it in the same section as the Relay (under the hood) or is it in the dash near the switch? Any help would be appreciated!

Did you disconnect the battery before you did the mod? Are you getting any warning lights or just no fogs? I would have to think maybe you have a bad connection in the wire you installed first, and then maybe a blown fuse. Search around tW and im sure youll find the manual showing fuse locations, but I really tend to think its not a fuse. Also look at the toyota website, think you can get your maual there as well. Let us know what it turns out to be. The mod worked flawlessly for me with no problems. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #160
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
The two places fuses are, are with the relay and behind the coin holder to the left under your steering wheel. There is a map of the fuses under the fuse box cover and behind the coin holder.

Also try this method:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...high-beam.html