Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Anytime Foglight mod explained electrical (diagrams)

Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #161
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
Still don't know how to quote so forgive me. Derrrrrp.
Jive, thanks for the help. I didn't disconnect the battery, but I am also not getting any warning lights. It worked or a day. I will double check the connection and then go from there.
Sloth, I appreciate the help as well. I'll see if any fuses blew but hopefully it's just a loose connection.
Thanks guys!!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #162
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
Still don't know how to quote so forgive me. Derrrrrp.
Jive, thanks for the help. I didn't disconnect the battery, but I am also not getting any warning lights. It worked or a day. I will double check the connection and then go from there.
Sloth, I appreciate the help as well. I'll see if any fuses blew but hopefully it's just a loose connection.
Thanks guys!!

You'll get it, make sure the relay is seated all the way down. Let us know!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #163
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
lights on all the time

I did this mod and my fogs work regardless of my light setting but now my headlights are on all the time. Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #164
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny E View Post
With 663 kms on my Taco its was about 662kms overdue for me to mess with something so I figured the easiest mod ever was a good pace to start. Turns out Master Yota made a mod of his own and shuffled around a relay or two. The fog relay is now in the sub panel mounted to the right side of the main panel.

This isn't such a bad thing as there is an easy way to get from one to the other with our little jumper. Just feed the lead down here

Then you can unclip the sub panel from the main and remove the bottom cover

Now if you wanna realy keep things stealthy at this point you would splice into that little red/black wire in the top right. I close the bent tab route as I just couldn't bring myself to start cutting wires. So feed the lead up thru the block, that it the skinny black one over the blue

Now you have to bend the tab carefully, we need a U shape bend as the space in the panel is very tight

Almost done! Clip the subpanel back together and onto the main, replace the relay and connect your lead

Now connect your jumper to the same place as always in the main panel

And there it is your done and your new 2012 Taco has fogs available anytime you like!

Just so people know, don't use a quick splice to do this or else your headlights will stay on all the time. Here's my thread about it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-all-time.html
Old 10-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #165
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivewalker View Post
You'll get it, make sure the relay is seated all the way down. Let us know!
All good, I think the relay was just loose. We are back in business! Thanks jive.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #166
1 MeMber
iLoveJDM is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
iLoveJDM's Tacoma Gallery
Fogs Anytime Cheee!!!!

Mahalos for da detailed instructions, pics really helped alot. buggas work cherry!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #167
pb4ugo is on a distinguished road
Name: Bud
pb4ugo's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Johnny E;4714226]With 663 kms on my Taco its was about 662kms overdue for me to mess with something so I figured the easiest mod ever was a good pace to start. Turns out Master Yota made a mod of his own and shuffled around a relay or two. The fog relay is now in the sub panel mounted to the right side of the main panel.

This isn't such a bad thing as there is an easy way to get from one to the other with our little jumper. Just feed the lead down here

Then you can unclip the sub panel from the main and remove the bottom cover

Now if you wanna realy keep things stealthy at this point you would splice into that little red/black wire in the top right. I close the bent tab route as I just couldn't bring myself to start cutting wires. So feed the lead up thru the block, that it the skinny black one over the blue

Now you have to bend the tab carefully, we need a U shape bend as the space in the panel is very tight

Almost done! Clip the subpanel back together and onto the main, replace the relay and connect your lead

Now connect your jumper to the same place as always in the main panel

And there it is your done and your new 2012 Taco has fogs available anytime you like.

Nice! Thank you.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #168
Relentless
jjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joel
jjhitchen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny E View Post
Try it this way, after posting this in a seperate thread cintocrunch showed the easiest way yet on a 2012. I totaly missed the switched lead right next to the relay

I just mimicked that exact wiring pattern and only one of my low beam headlights worked...hmm
Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #169
meshsochi is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
meshsochi's Tacoma Gallery
was fearing that mines would turn out like your since we both had the exact truck. but did the exact same thing as pictured, this way worked for me. hopefully you get'em tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhitchen View Post
I just mimicked that exact wiring pattern and only one of my low beam headlights worked...hmm
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #170
87twentytwor is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
87twentytwor's Tacoma Gallery
should i use an inline fuse for JonnyE's method?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #171
JimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud of
Name: Jim
JimBCa's Tacoma Gallery
After reading this whole thread, I have a headache and am going to bed. I am finding myself jumping around as one person does a post, then another with a whole different goal or truck, than back the the first.....

So have been doing a copy paste so that when ready, can pull just what is needed.

I have a 2012 with trailer package, want my fog lights to:
  • Work with the fog light switch
  • Work with Lo/Hi beam
  • Turn on/off like the headlights do, so that I don't walk off and leave them on.
Which of the threads or posts is the one that does that? is it:
Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #172
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBCa View Post
After reading this whole thread, I have a headache and am going to bed. I am finding myself jumping around as one person does a post, then another with a whole different goal or truck, than back the the first.....

So have been doing a copy paste so that when ready, can pull just what is needed.

I have a 2012 with trailer package, want my fog lights to:
  • Work with the fog light switch
  • Work with Lo/Hi beam
  • Turn on/off like the headlights do, so that I don't walk off and leave them on.
Which of the threads or posts is the one that does that? is it:
I have a '12 also & wanted the same operation as you. I used post #154.
The fogs work with high/low, on & off with headlights & the fog switch still controls them as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #173
JimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud of
Name: Jim
JimBCa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
I have a '12 also & wanted the same operation as you. I used post #154.
The fogs work with high/low, on & off with headlights & the fog switch still controls them as well.

Thank you for the direction, will give it a go this week. Happy New Year from west coast to east.

Jim
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #175
87twentytwor is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
87twentytwor's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the fog light relay located in the sub panel to the right... Run the wire from relay through bottom of little panel box > then straight through bottom of main panel box > then straight into LIGHT GREEN ignition power cord.... You don't need to splice... Just get small slender shape terminal to fit into harness... I forgot wut those little y shaped terminals are called, but I cut one side off so it looked as if it were a single prong terminal... Someone else did it and posted pics but I can't recall who... Good luck!

*this allows you to use fog lights anytime... W/ or w/o any other lights -dl, pl, low, high... Fogs work independently..
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #176
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing38 View Post
I'm sort of a newbie as far this electrical stuff goes but feel completely confident at the same time. I would like to get more information on the gauge size of the wire and pictures that show in detail the steps of possible... I would love to do this mod on my truck
me too, can't find thread with pics
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #177
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=SpruceTaco;5706531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh7917 View Post
Hey Gang!

I decided that when I did this, I didn't want to have my fogs work anytime the ignition was turned on. I only wanted my fogs to operate when my parking lights (at a minimum), and work independently of my low and hi beam headlights.

While the other solutions worked great for any time, I needed something different. Running wires outside the main fuse/relay panel under the hood was least desirable.

Please see pictures attached below. This is for 2012 models, with the towing package, and the fog relay in the smaller sub-panel. I also am not pre-wired for heated seats.

1. Using a 18-20 AWG stranded wire, feed it through the edge of the main panel, where the bottom clips into the main body of it. This is directly adjacent to the brown relay at the edge of the box.

2. Untape the main bundle of wires into the smaller sub-panel, and add the new wire to the bundle. Retape as needed, to make it look factory. Super-stealth!

3. In the center of the sub-panel, you can see a small hole. Fish the wire from the bottom, up to the top.

**At this point, the wire is simply run, and not connected to anything**

4. Remove the relay for the Tow circuit. Taking the end of the wire in the main panel, strip off about 3/4" of insulation, and bend the wire in a tight "V" shape. This V is then placed on the spade of the Towing Relay that is closest to the drivers' side fender, and then reinsert the relay into its space. This will be a tight fit.

5. Strip and crimp on a female spade connect to the other end.

6. Follow the rest of the procedure already outlined, and attach it to the fog relay.

I did this method tonight, works great. I felt the same way, didn't want to deal with turning 2 switches off. Thanks for posting this cdh7917

would it work with 2010, I heard 2012 is somewhat different.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #180
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod today, JohnnyE style and it works great, no problems.

Main,

Fog Relay

Wires goes under secondary box and again under main box and follows the rest of the wires back up.

Results