Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Anytime Foglight mod explained electrical (diagrams)

Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Anytime Foglight mod explained electrical (diagrams)

I recently performed the Anytime foglight modification.

CLICK HERE FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PERFORM THIS SIMPLE MODIFICATION TO YOUR TRUCK But before you do it please see
  1. jivewalker's method which does not require a splice!!!
  2. See Johnny E's 2012 update at post #133
  3. Also see Caribe makaira's method which is super clean and does not require a splice WARNING: Caribe's method taps into the EFI circuit which has a side effect. It causes your fogs to turn on for 10 seconds after your truck is off for about 4 hours.
But before I would do the mod I had to understand exactly what I was doing. Once I figured it all out I made a diagram so that other inquisitive minds may be satiated.

If you want to see supporting illustrations and diagrams where I sourced my info let me know and I'll post them.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
What the heck is all that!? I know jeffery can do it in 30 seconds!!!
What you see are altered factory diagrams. I am sorry but I don't know who Jeffery is.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
he is unholycumulus.

Thanks for posting this info though

Jeffey told me how to do it message and i was like i will wait for you to do it, don't mess with wires.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Nature just gets the blow-by
Twirlin will become famous soon enough

Twirlin's Tacoma Gallery
did the "anytime foglight mod" and so far (in my garage) everything checks out. Took extra care to do the mod, so took prolly 30 minutes (double checked wire like 4 times.....octochecked?). If I had to do it again, could do in about 10 minutes. Thanks again for the great mod.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #7

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twirlin View Post
did the "anytime foglight mod" and so far (in my garage) everything checks out. Took extra care to do the mod, so took prolly 30 minutes (double checked wire like 4 times.....octochecked?). If I had to do it again, could do in about 10 minutes. Thanks again for the great mod.
I'm glad you enjoyed the mod. I can't take credit for the "original idea" or even the procedure, but if my diagram helped you understand exactly what it was that you just did then I'm happy. And welcome to TW.

Cheers
Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
BJ's RedBeast is on a distinguished road

BJ's RedBeast's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question, I read somewhere that when you do this, that your fog lights would remain on even if the truck is off due to the fog lights being connected to the battery. So you have to be aware especially during the day as to not drain your battery. I am wondering if this is a true statement or if it's false and if anyone has had any problems with this.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #9

Twirlin's Tacoma Gallery
No problem

I did the mod last week. No problems. Fogs turn on and off with the turn of the ignition.
They turn off (if you leave them on) with the opening of your door (just like headlights).

Mod is super easy. Need to know practically nothing about electrical.
Get female spade connector for 18ga wire, T-connector to splice into existing wiring,
and about 8" of wire to be safe (in case a crimp goes bad).

This mod can be fully reversed to go back to stock (but why would you?).
Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #10

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's RedBeast View Post
I have a question, I read somewhere that when you do this, that your fog lights would remain on even if the truck is off due to the fog lights being connected to the battery. So you have to be aware especially during the day as to not drain your battery. I am wondering if this is a true statement or if it's false and if anyone has had any problems with this.
False. The circuit diagram as posted in this thread and the link in post #1 have you linking the fog really to the ignition circuit. If the ignition is off, the fog light can't be on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twirlin View Post
...This mod can be fully reversed to go back to stock (but why would you?).
The only reason to reverse this mod is if your selling the truck. There have been reports of some users driving around forgetting to turn on their headlights and in doing so driving around with no taillights! Also, in most states, (check your state and local laws), it's technically illegal to run the fogs without the headlights on. In my state the law reads:
California Vehicle Code Table of Contents » Division 12, Chapter 2, Article 2 Foglamps 24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps. » Section 24403
Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
One shot is all I need
usmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to beholdusmcgoose is a splendid one to behold

Marines: Armorer, Mechanic, Logistics
Name: Chris
usmcgoose's Tacoma Gallery
California Vehicle Code Table of Contents » Division 12, Chapter 2, Article 2 Foglamps 24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps. » Section 24403
[/quote]

This doesn't say it's illegal to usen them without the headlights, just not as a substitute. So in a morning fog, or for show, you're good. It's at night you have the problem.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #12

Twirlin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcgoose View Post

This doesn't say it's illegal to usen them without the headlights, just not as a substitute. So in a morning fog, or for show, you're good. It's at night you have the problem.[/quote]

I completely agree. In daylight you're ok. Basically, anytime when headlights aren't required. Good job pointing that out.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
BJ's RedBeast is on a distinguished road

BJ's RedBeast's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. Since I am new to the world of mods and especially electrical, where did you get the T-connector? Any local auto store?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
LeadFootCaliKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
Jeffey told me how to do it message and i was like i will wait for you to do it, don't mess with wires.
First of all, I'll trade you trucks... Haha

I totally agree. Some people are frightened of wiring and electronics, like myself. I'll leave it to those who are confident with what they're doing.

You have no idea how annoying it is to be hauling ass in the desert and flip on the highs only to not be able to see what's directly in front of you anymore.

Wiring the fogs like this puts it on it's own switch? Unless I leave them on all the time, I have to turn the headlights and the fogs on and off individually?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #17

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
This modification allows you to run the fogs independently of the low or high beams. As long as the ignition is on you can run your fogs. It still uses your factory fog switch.

All were really doing here is rerouting the fog relay to detect voltage from the ignition circuit instead of the low beam circuit. The fog relay "thinks" the low beams are on all the time, but it doesn't matter since we're now detecting voltage from the ignition circuit.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
LeadFootCaliKid's Tacoma Gallery
Ah I see. Sounds good. I'll just need to remember that I have to switches to flip.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #19
trdracing38 is on a distinguished road
trdracing38's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to trdracing38
Detailed Info and pictures??

I'm sort of a newbie as far this electrical stuff goes but feel completely confident at the same time. I would like to get more information on the gauge size of the wire and pictures that show in detail the steps of possible... I would love to do this mod on my truck