Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

cut and switch wires?

Old 12-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
cut and switch wires?

Its time for safety inspection again and i cant pass unless i replace my blinker housing, but i was thinking about doing the turn signal mod so this might be the opportunity but then i got to thinking, couldnt I just cut the wires to the parking lights and reroute those to the blinker bulb, then cut the blinker wires and reroute them to the parking light bulbs? then i could put some fog lights down where the turn signals used to be.
Would this work? and also, are there any laws requiring you to have a parking light?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
If you search around you will find a few writeups for exactly what you want to do.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

takern's Tacoma Gallery
i have searched but what i am finding is people that have either cut new holes or expanded the existing hole. im just wondering about using the existing bulbs that are the orange running lights as the blinker by just switching wires. then i could use the cutouts on the bumper for some foglights
Old 12-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So let me see if I got this here.

You wanna take the wires going from your blinkers and put the to the bulb that you are currently using as parking lights. Then you wanna take the wires from the parking light bulb (since they stay on ) and put a higher wattage bulb in there for use as a fog light.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #5

takern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
So let me see if I got this here.

You wanna take the wires going from your blinkers and put the to the bulb that you are currently using as parking lights. Then you wanna take the wires from the parking light bulb (since they stay on ) and put a higher wattage bulb in there for use as a fog light.
close

I want to take the wires to the blinker and put them on the bulb being used as a parking light. then i want to take the wires from the parking light and connect them to a set of rectangle fog lights that will go in the cutouts in the bumper where the blinker housings used to be. (unless the fog lights will require bigger wires, in which case i will just tape the ends up and wire the fig lights to the battery)

Am I just being stupid and this is not even doable? it just seemed to me that this would be the easiest way IF parking lights are not required by law
Old 12-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post
close

I want to take the wires to the blinker and put them on the bulb being used as a parking light. then i want to take the wires from the parking light and connect them to a set of rectangle fog lights that will go in the cutouts in the bumper where the blinker housings used to be. (unless the fog lights will require bigger wires, in which case i will just tape the ends up and wire the fig lights to the battery)
well, I would say to get bigger wires just because the existing stuff is for a little less draw.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #7

takern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
well, I would say to get bigger wires just because the existing stuff is for a little less draw.
ok. but do you see a problem in just swapping the wires?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post
ok. but do you see a problem in just swapping the wires?
I don't. It should be fine.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #9

takern's Tacoma Gallery
alright. thank you. now i just gotta make sure its not gonna get me a ticket and cause me more problems than its worth
Old 12-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #10

It really shouldn't be a problem. I have seen a lot of cars with stranger setups and they were factory that way. You should be just fine man.