Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How To: Black Head Light mod

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #461
whonoez is a jewel in the roughwhonoez is a jewel in the roughwhonoez is a jewel in the roughwhonoez is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jay
whonoez's Tacoma Gallery
Doing this tomorrow! Hope it turns out ok!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #462
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whonoez View Post
Doing this tomorrow! Hope it turns out ok!
take ur time, take ur time, take ur time.

NAPA

and

LOWES/ Depot/Ace/Miners

window and door (clear)

let it offgas as long as possible, I always let them sit overnight on the bench with (very important) ALL tubes/plugs/caps/bulbs removed

tip- save the plastic bag this came in............use it (or another bag) to wrap ur first finger and middle finger with plastic twice...use this to literally PUSH a bead of silicone into the seams when the 2 halves are joined together and after u have baked/window welded them.

if u look through the clear part of the lens, u can see the silicone weep into the seam and u can push it in there with ur plastic wrapped fingers..... the plastic bag serves 2 purposes....
1- keeps ur hands/finger clean

2- the plastic will make the silicone easy to spread.....for some reason it doesnt seem to let the silicone clump up and get tacky like it would on bare flesh.

just a couple pennies ur way

also, to help u handle the hot lights (u wanna pull em outta oven and get them pryed open fast) and to keep the napalm.....I mean "Glue" off of ur flesh and look a lil more manly than using oven mits to remove the lights from the oven, pickup a $8 set of welding gloves from the hardware store.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #463
trdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
trdagule's Tacoma Gallery
How To: Black Head Light mod-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368520199.702693.jpgHow To: Black Head Light mod-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368520247.051884.jpgHow To: Black Head Light mod-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368520276.535568.jpg
Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #464
trdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdagule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
trdagule's Tacoma Gallery
And this on black my old set How To: Black Head Light mod-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368520596.472539.jpgHow To: Black Head Light mod-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368520656.288366.jpgHow To: Black Head Light mod-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368520696.203846.jpg
Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #465
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
also, to help u handle the hot lights (u wanna pull em outta oven and get them pryed open fast) and to keep the napalm.....I mean "Glue" off of ur flesh and look a lil more manly than using oven mits to remove the lights from the oven, pickup a $8 set of welding gloves from the hardware store.

What are those things for?!?! I used Nitrile gloves
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #466
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What are those things for?!?! I used Nitrile gloves
To take the hot housings out of the oven.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #467
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
To take the hot housings out of the oven.
Nitrile gloves worked for me... you guys must just have delicate hands
Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #468
whonoez is a jewel in the roughwhonoez is a jewel in the roughwhonoez is a jewel in the roughwhonoez is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jay
whonoez's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine yesterday! Surprised at how it turned out and it was super easy! Waiting to dry I even had lunch with my wife!
Attached Thumbnails
How To: Black Head Light mod-image.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #469
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
so i tried this today and couldnt pry the light open...i tried baking it twice and still no luck...i tried to pry it open where it is circled in the picture and it just bent the plastic and probably messed it up...i preheated to 300 and turned it off like the directions say and let it sit in the oven for ten minutes and then i tried it a second time. i am thinking about trying again tomorrow what should i do differently? should i go with a lower temp for a longer time to melt the sealant better or....? any advice is helpful thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #470
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Did you remove the 3 screws from the back?
With those out, I was able to separate mine with no tools.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #471
PinkTaco24 is on a distinguished road
PinkTaco24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TacoDriver View Post
so i tried this today and couldnt pry the light open...i tried baking it twice and still no luck...i tried to pry it open where it is circled in the picture and it just bent the plastic and probably messed it up...i preheated to 300 and turned it off like the directions say and let it sit in the oven for ten minutes and then i tried it a second time. i am thinking about trying again tomorrow what should i do differently? should i go with a lower temp for a longer time to melt the sealant better or....? any advice is helpful thanks in advance
Take the screws out as well? If yes, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Did this a while back with no problem.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #472
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
yeap took out all the screws
Old 06-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #473
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Completed one headlight tonight, doing the other tomorrow night. What methods can I use to remove excess 'glue'? I got some on the trim when I was putting the halves back together. It's coming apart again in a few weeks for my retrofit and would like to make it perfect then.
Attached Thumbnails
How To: Black Head Light mod-bhlm.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #474
Stripertwink is on a distinguished road
Name: Christain
Stripertwink's Tacoma Gallery
BLHM service

does anybody offer this service in socal????
Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #475
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripertwink View Post
does anybody offer this service in socal????

RAD will do BHLM also in socal ONLY

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...vice-bhlm.html

Its a piece of cake tho if u have the TIME

Old 06-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #476

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
Completed one headlight tonight, doing the other tomorrow night. What methods can I use to remove excess 'glue'? I got some on the trim when I was putting the halves back together. It's coming apart again in a few weeks for my retrofit and would like to make it perfect then.
try a "powerball mini" attached to ur drill with generous amounts of mequires "plastx" polish
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #477
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
try a "powerball mini" attached to ur drill with generous amounts of mequires "plastx" polish
On the part I just painted black?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #478

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
On the part I just painted black?
no way............srry, thought u got it on the outside of the lens, my fault.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #479

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no way............srry, thought u got it on the outside of the lens, my fault.
Yeah, I use Plasticx on my lenses every couple of months to keep them looking good.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #480
Beaniam is on a distinguished road
Beaniam's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished mine. Also tinted the reflector. I had originally tried tinting the headlight but it came out like garbage. Luckily a rag and some carb cleaner cleaned all the rattle can tint off fairly easy.

There's so much glue in there I figured I'd try leaving it all in the groove instead of cleaning it out. When I was done I placed the halves back together and back in the oven. Put all the screws in while it was still hot, pretty sure it's all sealed as good as factory. It's seated all the way, screws are bottomed out tight, and the glue is oozing out the seem. I'll post how well it works.
Attached Thumbnails
How To: Black Head Light mod-headlight.jpg  

Products Discussed in this Thread