LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How To: Black Head Light mod

Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #481
ryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to behold

ryantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Is there any decrease in the lights effectiveness with this mod?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #482
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantaco View Post
Is there any decrease in the lights effectiveness with this mod?
No, if you don't modify the reflector at all (the bowl behind and around your bulb).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaniam View Post
Just finished mine. Also tinted the reflector. I had originally tried tinting the headlight but it came out like garbage. Luckily a rag and some carb cleaner cleaned all the rattle can tint off fairly easy.

There's so much glue in there I figured I'd try leaving it all in the groove instead of cleaning it out. When I was done I placed the halves back together and back in the oven. Put all the screws in while it was still hot, pretty sure it's all sealed as good as factory. It's seated all the way, screws are bottomed out tight, and the glue is oozing out the seem. I'll post how well it works.
You are taking a risk of moisture getting in, all it takes is a little void in the factory glue to let in vapor, then you have a problem. I would have gone the extra mile while the headlights were out and put clear silicone caulk around the seam, just for insurance.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #483
wheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kevin
wheelerkr2's Tacoma Gallery
I'm doing this finally, and i got the headlights off and im trying to take everything off of them, how do i get the small black plastic parts off? they are the small lights i guess, i dont want to just pull them and break them.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #484
The Ayatollah of Asshollah
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerkr2 View Post
I'm doing this finally, and i got the headlights off and im trying to take everything off of them, how do i get the small black plastic parts off? they are the small lights i guess, i dont want to just pull them and break them.
Thanks
I just did this last night, can you post a pic? What parts are you talking about?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #485
wheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I just did this last night, can you post a pic? What parts are you talking about?
Sorry those were just rubber covers, what i really need to know how to take off are the small parts that have a black cover over them, they are like bolts but have a really wide head.
Thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #486
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerkr2 View Post
Sorry those were just rubber covers, what i really need to know how to take off are the small parts that have a black cover over them, they are like bolts but have a really wide head.
Thanks.
I left them on, no problems here
Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #487

thanks for the fast replies! I just got the first headlight separated, preheating the oven now for the other one!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #488
ryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to behold

ryantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Can I use plasti-dip to do this?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #489
Quote:
I suppose though I would say hitting the chrome with some steel wool or fine-ish sandpaper will make the coating stick better, don't have to sand all the chrome off, just rough it enough where you have a nice textured surface
Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #490
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I suppose someone has to be first although I wouldn't... Krylon Fusion sticks to the chrome plastic very well, not sure how well the Plasti-Dip would hold up or if it would fade in color over time.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #491
NorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the rough
NorthWoods's Tacoma Gallery
So, this needs to happen on my truck, the only thing holding me back is me. Is it really as easy as it seems? Any tips for a first timer?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #492
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWoods View Post
So, this needs to happen on my truck, the only thing holding me back is me. Is it really as easy as it seems? Any tips for a first timer?
Preheat to 300, shut the oven off, put the housings on a piece of cardboard in the oven for no more than 10-15 minutes, handle with gloves.

Same thing for reassembly.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Preheat to 300, shut the oven off, put the housings on a piece of cardboard in the oven for no more than 10-15 minutes, handle with gloves.

Same thing for reassembly.
10 minutes did it for me, fallowed this thread mostly, came out well.
Oh be really careful pulling the headlight bulb, leave the hold down clip in there, it doesnt hurt anything, I broke the tab that holds down one end of the clip and had to superglue it back on.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #494
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
stupid question.... i put the headlights back together and everything lined up real nice until i noticed something this evening. the sides with the screws, the 2 upper screws only screwed into the new rubber. its hardened back up so there is no more give in it but the other 3 sides look great. am i able to put the whole assembly back into the oven for a few minutes to loosen up the new rubber again so that i could hopefully get those screws to seat where they are supposed to?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #495
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That'll work just fine.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 AM   #496
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
i don't think it would need to go in at 300 for the full 10 min, what do you think?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #497
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
i don't think it would need to go in at 300 for the full 10 min, what do you think?
You could try it at 6 - 8 minutes but why not wait the full 10? If you take them out early and the glue isn't softened, you just wasted your time and you'll have to re-bake them anyways.

FWIW, the glue shouldn't prevent you from putting those screws in. Even when cured, it shouldn't harden to the point where you can't install the screws.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #498
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
stupid question.... i put the headlights back together and everything lined up real nice until i noticed something this evening. the sides with the screws, the 2 upper screws only screwed into the new rubber. its hardened back up so there is no more give in it but the other 3 sides look great. am i able to put the whole assembly back into the oven for a few minutes to loosen up the new rubber again so that i could hopefully get those screws to seat where they are supposed to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You could try it at 6 - 8 minutes but why not wait the full 10? If you take them out early and the glue isn't softened, you just wasted your time and you'll have to re-bake them anyways.

FWIW, the glue shouldn't prevent you from putting those screws in. Even when cured, it shouldn't harden to the point where you can't install the screws.
What he said Dante, I noticed that I had to use a fair amount of force and some channel locks in a few places to get the suckers closed up, there was rubber coming out of the screw holes too, I paid no heed and just screwed them in till it felt like they were all the way home.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
+1

SWMBO was out of town for the weekend when I disassembled mine.
I did the painting, assembled the projectors, and set them aside to let the paint cure until I was not on call duty and could tear the truck down.

So 3 weeks later, I start assembling them and start preheating the oven.
"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?????"

Ruh Roh Shaggy.....

"Softening the glue"

"DON'T YOU DARE PUT THOSE CHEMICALS IN MY OVEN!"

<debating whether to tell her I already did 3 weeks ago, decide to not say anything>

So I put everything back together, clipped the edges best I could with spring clamps, and got creative with some wood strips and bar clamps to apply even pressure as best I could on the housing.

Every couple of days, I'd tighten the bar clamps up.

4 weeks later, I removed the clamps, put the screws in, and put them on the truck. The 4 week wait was only because of call duty... they would have been good after a few days.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #500
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

<debating whether to tell her I already did 3 weeks ago, decide to not say anything>.
So it took 7 weeks to finish the project and get your balls back from her purse?

Products Discussed in this Thread