Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How To: Black Head Light mod

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100

Edit by mjp2: This tutorial was awesome but the photos disappeared from Photobucket. 478DblSport was kind enough to save and restore the information, so I'm including that post here for reference. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 478DblSport View Post
I made this one because all of the previous ones have NO PICTURES. This is to show a step by step instructional after the headlights are off of the vehicle.

**Disclaimer**

If you can't spray paint, I don't recommend even starting this mod. Please do yourself a favor and have someone with experience to help you out.

Tools:
  1. Flat head screw driver
  2. Torx bit (#15)
  3. Gator Clamps
  4. Adjustable pliers

Materials:
  • Krylon Fusion rattle can spray paint (color of choice)
  • 3M Windo-Weld
  • Masking Tape (if masking off reflectors)
Can be picked up at local auto part store:

1. Remove headlights from vehicle:

2. Remove all rubber, plastic, and bulbs:

3. Remove 3 torx screws on the side of headlight:

4. Place oven grill to lowest adjustment.

5. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

6. Once it reaches 300 degrees F, turn the oven OFF.

7. Insert headlight facing up on top of a piece of card board so that none of the headlight is touching the metal grill. Time it for 10 mins.

8. Once your timer is up, remove the headlight (be careful, it will be HOT). Start prying the headlight apart with your flat head screw driver where the yellow circle is. As you are prying, unclip the tabs circled in red:

9. Once the headlight has come apart into 2 halves, remove the 2 torx screws:

10. To remove the bezel, hold the lens with your left hand, and with your right hand, hold where the turn signal bulb goes through. Push it to the right, then up.

11. Once the bezel is out, it is time for paint. You can mask off the turn signal reflector and/or the side marker. To remove the turn signal cover, just simply stick a ratchet handle through where the bulb goes in and hit it out (don't tap it out).

Prepping is optional, since I have had no issues using Krylon Fusion. Just give it proper drying time.

Since the bezel has a lot of indentations and crazy angles, you can't just spray it laying down or sitting up the whole time.

What I do is: Spray it sitting up (I used an empty spray paint can). Then put a plastic bag over your hand and arm, then use tape to wrap it tight on your arm. Hold the bezel in the air and spray at all angles possible. Allow proper drying time between coats. To check if you've hit all of the areas, just turn it a bunch of different ways under a light or the sun. The light will show the chrome that's still showing.

12. While the bezel is drying, preheat the oven to 300 degrees, then OFF.

13. Place the gray half of the headlight back in for 10 mins.

14. Once the timer is up, remove the headlight half. Use the flat head screw driver and remove as much of the factory sealant as possible since it will harden very quickly.

15. Once it is all dried, remove all of the masking tape. Place the turn signal cover back in (I tinted mine):

Preburning: After you have painted the bezels, place them back in the oven at 250 for 5 minutes with the oven ON. This will unify your spray paint and make it look nicer and the way it is supposed to look. (this also glosses up overspray).

16. To put the bezel back in, align the bezel's nubs with the lens' hooks, then reverse the force the same way you took it out (left hand pull the lens out, and right hand goes in and together with the lens:

17. Screw the 2 torx screws back in:

18. Place a 1/4" bead of the rubber butyl in the channel of the headlight. To make it smaller, just stretch it:

19. Preheat the oven to 300 again. Then OFF. Place the gray half back in the oven. (This softens the rubber butyl). Time it for 10 mins.

20. Remove the gray half from the oven, and grab the lens with the bezel in it. Start putting the 2 halves together starting from the fender corner. Firmly press the rest of the headlight together. Use the adjustable pliers to squeeze the halves together.

21. Screw the 3 torx screws back in:

22. Use gator clamps to hold the headlight together for curing:

23. Repeat all of the above steps for the other headlight (if you have confidence, do both at the same time to save time).

24. Once it is cured, put all of the rubber, plastic and bulbs back in. And you're done with the black head light mod! Just install the headlights back on the vehicle and plug in all of the harnesses. Pull up to a wall and adjust the headlights, they will be slightly off.

*Viet2100's pic's have been revived and with mjp2's help they'll be restored to the OP.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
G-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really nice

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Viet! Those gen 3s look good in there as well! This should be a sticky since it has pics. +1 for you.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
Good write-up.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
G-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really nice

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Viet, How is the 3M Window Weld rubber butyl stuff holding up in the elements? I am trying to decide how to seal up my housings as I am close to finishing my retrofit. I live in the Pacific Northwest so I am concerned about fogging issues as it gets cold and wet here. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
johnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to behold
johnny12345's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like the window weld should keep moisture out better than anything I can think of. Definatley better than than trying to salvage the original adhesive as I've seen some guys do.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #7

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny12345 View Post
Looks like the window weld should keep moisture out better than anything I can think of. Definatley better than than trying to salvage the original adhesive as I've seen some guys do.
Thanks Johnny, I just went ahead and picked some up today. I figure it will be better than the stock glue. I might put some silicone sealant around the edge of the lights after the window weld is cured for more protection.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
deadphish28 is a jewel in the roughdeadphish28 is a jewel in the roughdeadphish28 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tim
deadphish28's Tacoma Gallery
wow great write up- thanks for putting the time into this!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently in the process of doing mine. So far so good. It's actually pretty easy, but I don't want to jinx myself. Wish me luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up man...good details too

+1
Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sak View Post
Viet, How is the 3M Window Weld rubber butyl stuff holding up in the elements? I am trying to decide how to seal up my housings as I am close to finishing my retrofit. I live in the Pacific Northwest so I am concerned about fogging issues as it gets cold and wet here. Thanks!
Sorry guys I haven't seen this thread. The rubber butyl is awesome to work with! The only bitchy part was removing the stock stuff. I added some clear liquid nails on the outside for extra measures. BUT, also make sure you preburn everything before sealing it up.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Ainokea
MrZoggs will become famous soon enough

Name: Zach
MrZoggs's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody know what the melting point is for the stock adhesive that holds the housing together?

Think you could get away with using a blow dryer to peel the remaining adhesive off after separating the housing?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoggs View Post
Anybody know what the melting point is for the stock adhesive that holds the housing together?

Think you could get away with using a blow dryer to peel the remaining adhesive off after separating the housing?

you can, but expect to be there all day.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sak View Post
as long as you put the lense back on the same way you took it off, you'll be fine. i've done over a handfull of these and have nevery used any extra glue, and none have fogged or leaked on me.

but i too am interested in how adding this stuff will affect the lights? i like the OEM stuff because it becomes harder and more sticky than the 3M stuff. the 3m stuff seems really good though, so....what do you say viet?!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
I used the 3M and its working fine. Make sure you clean that grove out really good so its all new 3M weld in there.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 925swbTacoma View Post
I used the 3M and its working fine. Make sure you clean that grove out really good so its all new 3M weld in there.
what did you use to clean out the OEM stuff? i think that that stuff would be great to reseal IF you can get all the OEM stuff out first...
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #17
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
just heat it up in the over and scrape it out with something disposible. Dont use a screw driver because you wont get it off the screw driver later. I heated and Cleaned the groove 3 times i think on each. then you can do a little on the lenses too.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #18

^ dont mean to be a pain, but did you do the following...

preheat to 300, turn off
stick gray housing in oven for 5 min, scrape
reheat oven, turn off, insert gray housing, scrap...etc?

or did you keep the oven on when you reheated it?

again, dont mean to nit pick, but you have a great idea and would like to know our process so i can do it too!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #19
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
To take the old stuff off I just set the over to 275-ish and didnt bother turning it off. left the grey half in for 5 or 6 minutes pulled out and cleaned a portion of the groove untill the sealer sterted to harden. Then I just put it back in and repeated the process till it was as clean as it was going to get.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #20

^ cool, thanks for all the info!

Products Discussed in this Thread