Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

New wiring behind exhaust heat shield - will it burn up?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Question New wiring behind exhaust heat shield - will it burn up?

So, tonight I ran a set of 14-ga wires in some basic corrugated split loom from the engine bay to the back of the truck for some aux reverse lights I am intending to install, but I am a little worried. The best route for the loom was basically along the steel fuel lines on the driver's side, which runs right above one of the heat shields for one of the many cats in the exhaust system. I can't really tell, but it is possible the loom is actually touching the shield.

Will I end up melting the wires this way, or will the heat shield keep enough heat away that it won't be an issue? I didn't really see any other way in running the wires, without going through the cab--which would be a lot more work.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
I've found that there is a nice space between the frame and body that works perfectly for hiding wires, air hoses, cb antenna wire, etc out of the way. a few zip ties and you're golden. i don't have and pictures, but if you get under your truck, it's pretty easy to find.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
OK, thanks, I will see if I can find it. I thought about going above the frame rail, but I wasn't sure how much the body moved and if it would pinch the wires. Hopefully I can find the spot and move it without re-doing the whole run, that was a pain in the rear.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
i ran my coax cable for my CB along the top of the frame. with a few zipties
Old 12-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
i ran my coax cable for my CB along the top of the frame. with a few zipties

exactly. my coax is right there as well, with nothing protecting itand has been fine for over a year
Old 12-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Just follow a gas line, brake line, or a harness set of wires and stick with that line you should be fine
Old 12-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled the wire out where it was and ran it back through, this time I ran it above the fuel lines instead of below. I think this should be OK, as it is not touching the heat shield and gives a better air gap. I also got it further away from the downpipe.

I haven't done any automotive electrical stuff in a long time, this has turned into more of a project than I'd hoped (aux reverse lights and Lightforce 240's in the front). It should be worth it, though!