Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

wiring Hella 500 lights and switch compatibility

Old 12-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Alex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Alex
Alex352's Tacoma Gallery
wiring Hella 500 lights and switch compatibility

hey guys i have 4 hella 500s that i want to wire and i want to bypass the high beam wiring so i can turn them on anytime. can this be done? If so does anyone have a diagram of the instructions?

The switches that come with the hellas look kinda cheesy so i did some research and found some nice rocker switches on www.OTTRATTW.com. Does anyone know if these switches would fit in the empty aux slots to the left of the gauges? thanks in advance
Old 12-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
I'm not sure if the switch would fit, Make sure the switch can handle the amp going through them

Amp = watts/volts.

4 lights is 220/12 = 18 amps.

I used 10 gauge on all the wires.

Wiring them is pretty much straight foward.

A line from the battery to the relay
a line from the battery to the switch to the relay to activate the relay
one from the relay to a ground
one from the relay to the lights.

heres a half assed diagram i drew
Old 12-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Alex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of lightAlex352 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Alex
Alex352's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
I'm not sure if the switch would fit, Make sure the switch can handle the amp going through them

Amp = watts/volts.

Wiring them is pretty much straight foward.

A line from the battery to the relay
a line from the battery to the switch to the relay to activate the relay
one from the relay to a ground
one from the relay to the lights.

heres a half assed diagram i drew
Ok thanks. The size of the switch if .830x1.45 inches if that helps. im just in love with these switches.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
I'm not sure about the switch I got a first gen, I know 05 prerunner found some switches for his 2nd gen they fit in really well they are rocker switches as well.
I'm not sure which rocker switch you're looking at there's a lot on there.
Pm him

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mem...prerunner.html
Old 12-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
another gsxr 1k is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Radioman 1989-1994
another gsxr 1k's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you can bypass the headlight side of the relay so you can turn them on at will. Install them as per the instructions from Hella with the exception of tapping into the headlight circuit. What you want to do is to tap into the cigarette lighter circuit. Once you do that, you can turn them on and off when you feel like it.

Doing it that way will give you lights any time you want them and they will turn off when you shut the ignition off, so it won't kill your battery if you leave them on.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by another gsxr 1k View Post
Yes, you can bypass the headlight side of the relay so you can turn them on at will. Install them as per the instructions from Hella with the exception of tapping into the headlight circuit. What you want to do is to tap into the cigarette lighter circuit. Once you do that, you can turn them on and off when you feel like it.

Doing it that way will give you lights any time you want them and they will turn off when you shut the ignition off, so it won't kill your battery if you leave them on.

x2

I used the battery for my power though.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post

Amp = watts/volts.

Just to be clear, the switch doesn't need to handle 18 amps or use 10 gauge wires. It just needs to handle enough current to activate the relay (which is minimal). That's the point of using the relay, so you don't have to run all that power through the switch.