Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

are driving lights legal?

Old 12-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
are driving lights legal?

hey yall im at my dads, about 3 hours from home and would really like to leave tonight but my headlight relay gave out, so i only have highbeams or the 4 driving lights i got from advance auto on my bumper. my question is would it be legal to use the driving lights in place of my healights? or should i just wait until morning the soonest i can get a new relay is tuesday

soo is it legal to use driving lights as headlights?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just drive with your brights on. It may piss some people off but it's safer. We did this in my buddies jeep for a while
Old 12-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
like said above use your brights, if you get pulled over just tell the cop you lost your low beams and tell him your options.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea about the legality, but if this were a poll, I'd vote to just do it.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
If your headlight relay went out then you wouldn't have HIs either.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
You would have to ask yourself....what constitutes a "headlight"? I'm sure each state has a different view of this but i am willing to bet that if you google your states codes on the standards for a head light you will find them.

I bet it has to be a certain height and be visible froma certain distance as well as give visibility for the driver out to a certain distance, thats just my logical guess.

id be curious to know if someone figures it out.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
If your headlight relay went out then you wouldn't have HIs either.
really? damn thats what i thought it was, when i used the ohm meter the top 2 prongs were good the bottom 2 didnt read
Old 12-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
really? damn thats what i thought it was, when i used the ohm meter the top 2 prongs were good the bottom 2 didnt read
Apply voltage to the two that did read and the other two will read. It's a NO (normally open) contact. Either the low element is blown on both bulbs or your dimmer switch is bad.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Quote:
Apply voltage to the two that did read and the other two will read. It's a NO (normally open) contact. Either the low element is blown on both bulbs or your dimmer switch is bad.
it happened when i was switchin from his to los and wo and behold i was greeted with darkness, also when i turn on his the blue light on the dash doesnt come on
Old 12-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I use my Hellas all the time, sure i get the highbeam flash rarely, but if you aim them just right they shouldnt bother too many people
Old 12-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
These look to be inspection stuff but look at the link.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...nforcement.pdf

19A NCAC 03D .0533 LIGHTS
1. Headlights shall not be approved if:
(a) There are not at least two head lamps (at least four on dual
head lamp systems which require four units) on all
self-propelled vehicles except motorcycles and motor driven
cycles need only one.
(b) The lens produces other than a white or yellow light.
(c) Any lens is cracked, broken, discolored, missing, or rotated away
from the proper position, or any reflector is not clean and bright.
(d) The high beam low beam dimmer switch does not operate properly
or the high beam indicator light does not burn on vehicles
manufactured after January 1, 1956.
(e) Lights can be moved easily by hand, due to a broken fender or loose
support, or if the mounting does not make a good ground.
(f) Foreign materials (such as shields, half of lens painted, brush
guards, etc.) are placed on the head lamp lens that interferes with
light beam of lamp.
(g) Lights are improperly aimed using an approved light-testing device.
(h) Lights project a dazzling or glaring light when on low beam.
(i) Mechanical/wall chart aimer tolerance range is 4 inches up, down,
left, and right. On board aimers tolerance is 8 degrees up, down, left

and right. Optical aimers are either go or no go.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
I'd see if there is another relay (ex. the heater control) that has the same part number on it and put that one in it's place and see if they work. The Dimmer relay is a little unique as it has 5 prongs. There is a separate headlamp relay as well. The headlamp one is working as you have hi beams. They are all in the fuse/relay box located under the hood on the drivers side.
Unfortunately I don't have a 2004-pre wiring diagram to help out any further.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #14

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
I'd see if there is another relay (ex. the heater control) that has the same part number on it and put that one in it's place and see if they work. The Dimmer relay is a little unique as it has 5 prongs. There is a separate headlamp relay as well. The headlamp one is working as you have hi beams. They are all in the fuse/relay box located under the hood on the drivers side.
Unfortunately I don't have a 2004-pre wiring diagram to help out any further.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Wiri...c/relayloc.pdf

The dimmer relay is on trucks with DRL. It's only a 4 pin on first gens and is unique.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Illegal in AZ I believe. I don't know about your neck of the woods though.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Wiri...c/relayloc.pdf

The dimmer relay is on trucks with DRL. It's only a 4 pin on first gens and is unique.
It was worth a shot! thanks for that link though! I'm going to download that puppy!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #17

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
It was worth a shot! thanks for that link though! I'm going to download that puppy!
Here you go

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/
Old 12-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Probably a dumb question, but if he has his lightbar lights wired in with his high beams, would they work either?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #20
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ TACO View Post
Sounds like you blew a fuse. Check that 1st...
all fuses were good, thats what led me to believ it was the relay, going in the "shop" tomorrow now that im finally home