Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Show off your Rock Lights...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Keyser Soze
WATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud of

Name: Rob
WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
Show off your Rock Lights...

I will start;

I used to run the tractor lights under my rig, but I got tired of breaking some of them every other run, so I went LED. I have two sets. One set is as as pictured, white all around, the other set is red. I can switch one or the other or both on, as needed. With the LED's, I can even leave them on for hours and not dent my battery. What have you done for Rock Lights?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Keyser Soze
WATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud of

WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
Does nobody else do night runs or did I touch on a sensitive subject or something?

In use:

Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATRD View Post
Does nobody else do night runs or did I touch on a sensitive subject or something?

In use:

pic would make a good wallpaper for my computer. looks good.my junk aint lifted or offroaded so i have no lights
Old 01-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
I've never seen anyone with lights under their rig for off roading. It is a good idea, I thought about putting them under my old blazer so I could see what I was about to break.
Got any pics of how you mounted them?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
There are a few on here that run them, Monkeyproof and dtrujillo63? are both running them. I think silverback07 is running them too.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
Keyser Soze

WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
I've never seen anyone with lights under their rig for off roading. It is a good idea, I thought about putting them under my old blazer so I could see what I was about to break.
Got any pics of how you mounted them?
The current LEDs are just stuck on with a dollop of clear silicone. It made positioning them easy and since they are so small, you can mount and aim them where you like. Just keep them and their wiring protected from dragging, crushing and splashing, where you can.

The tractor lights were a lot more difficult to mount back in the day. But with the compact LED assemblies available now for pretty cheap, I can't imagine why anyone would go with traditional lighting and it's drawbacks anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
There are a few on here that run them, Monkeyproof and dtrujillo63? are both running them. I think silverback07 is running them too.
Just making sure. I don't see many threads on here go over a week without any replies at all. I thought maybe I had missed a memo about no rocklight threads or something hahahhaha
Old 01-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATRD View Post
Just making sure. I don't see many threads on here go over a week without any replies at all. I thought maybe I had missed a memo about no rocklight threads or something hahahhaha
Nope, I have seen them in silverback07's build thread and on various wheeling trip pics.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
BabyT is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
BabyT's Tacoma Gallery
can you give me a link onthe lights you bought rob and how you wired them cuz yours are exactly wat im wanting to put in
Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I need a few more
Old 08-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Cbookout89 is on a distinguished road

Cbookout89's Tacoma Gallery
Can someone send me a link to the LED lights that were used? is it a strip with little LEDs all over it?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbookout89 View Post
Can someone send me a link to the LED lights that were used? is it a strip with little LEDs all over it?
Something like these?
http://www.oznium.com/high-intensity-led-floodlight
Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
Keyser Soze

WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
The LED's that I used are located at the top of the page here: http://www.roundeyes.com/Products-LED_Lighting.html

I have two sets, one white and one red, with each string on a separate switch. I can run one string, the other string or both. The big advantage to going with LED over the "tractor" lights is that no special wiring is required. With Tractor lights, your switch needs to trip a relay or relays, than then provides the power to the big lights. With LED's, any standard automotive switch is rated at more than enough amps to handle a string of these things, without a relay. Battery to switch to LED's to ground. That is all there is to it.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Here is mine VisionX http://www.amazon.com/Vision-HIL-STW...3605197&sr=8-1

Super cheap and pretty dam bright.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
DonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonnoD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: don
DonnoD's Tacoma Gallery
heres mine crappy pics but it should work.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #17
shadow17 is on a distinguished road
shadow17's Tacoma Gallery
Can i see the red lights?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #18
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Some really cool pics... but anyway... got any shots in daytime of where they're mounted exactly?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #19
Keyser Soze

WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow17 View Post
Can i see the red lights?
The reds don't photograph well. Every picture I have ever taken has just been a red blur. They work well to throw a puddle of light around the truck while we are in camp, so that you can set up without tripping over stuff and so that you have a reference point without ruining your night vision, but I don't think they are a suitable replacement for the whites. I would not use the reds on the trail.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking to do some rock lights soon.. Just trying to find some I like. I have some 55 watt Walmart halogen "driving lights" mounted to the back of my cab mounts for auxiliary reverse lights. They are way brighter than any LEDs I've seen. Chad (pd3) and Kevin (ATO) both use the same ones for rock lights, but they draw a lot of amps so I'm reluctant to use a lot of them. They are cheaper than LEDs though. I could do 6 for under $70 and I know they are durable. The ones I have now are over a year old and have been submerged many times.

Products Discussed in this Thread