1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flashing 3rd Brake Light - Write Up

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Reznor88, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Jan 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    So the area I'm living in right now gets heavy fog in the winter months and it often lasts the entire day. In an attempt to make myself more visible and also to avoid being rear ended by the tailgaters out there, I decided that a flashing brake light wouldn't be a bad idea.

There are tons of sites out there offering flashing brake products. I looked through a few and went with kahtec.com. I picked up the "Blinking Smart Stop - Delay Version" for $23.

DSC01674-1-1_3e3c09eef9974392a80ebd3587cc43570688e305.jpg
    Included in the package

The difference between the basic unit and the delay unit is that with the delay the brake light won't flash again if the brake is applied within 10 seconds. This is good if you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and don't want to constantly be flashing the driver behind you.

Installation of the unit is pretty straight forward. Take the two screws (torx 20) out of the brake light to remove the lens, set the lens aside and then pry the actual light housing away from the truck. The black sticky foam that holds housing to the truck, and I assume waterproofs it, takes a bit of force to separate. With a cloth laid down to protect the paint I used a screwdriver to pry the housing lose.

DSC01683_4198757417c57d26d7285c9ad2084f052ae12f8d.jpg
    Housing pulled away from truck

The installation instructions, which can be found here, mention using the quick connectors that come along in the package to tap into the stock wires. The quick connectors are crap. I tried using them as the instructions said but had no luck with them so I just cut and stripped the wires like normal and attached everything. Useful info: the green/white wire is your positive and the tan/black your negative. As you can see I made sure to butcher the wires on the light housing side of the factory connector. If something goes wrong it's easier to replace the light housing portion instead of the wiring throughout the truck.

DSC01685_5c5e89f967f753ac10d08a35dfc7da5e81859bfc.jpg
    Cut up the part that's easier to replace
    Having destroyed the black sticky foam upon removing the housing I was worried about possible leaking behind the light. I reassembled everything and then slowly poured a bucket of water directly onto the light. Took everything back apart to check for moisture and not a drop of water got through. I'm guessing that since part of the foam was left on the truck and the other part left on the light housing, they joined back up nicely to recreate a seal.

And with a quick test you can see what those driving behind you will now see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHClARS39CE

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns just let me know.

JGO and mattgecko like this.
  2. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I have seen some tractor trailers with lights that flash like that when the brakes are first pressed. I think its a great idea.

We train our drivers to put on their 4 way flashers when coming around a corner and a traffic ahead is backing up and the driver will need to come to a complete stop.

A flashing brake light gets people's attention much faster than a solid light.

3. Jan 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Nice writeup!

4. Feb 12, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    emtlibby

emtlibby Slaughtering goats

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DBLCAB
    Will that flasher work with LED's or not enough load?

5. Feb 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    Reznor88

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure, you might want to shoot the company an email. Or for the low low price of $23.95 you could be a guinea pig for the masses. Either way, post it up if you find out.

6. Feb 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Interesting! If your not aware of it Volvo had this idea in one of there cars third light setup on their wagons. Safety first...excellent idea....

7. Feb 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    I have it on mine with LEDs, it works flawlessly.

JGO likes this.
  8. Feb 18, 2010 at 3:35 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    is this legal? jw looks good but idk about down here if thats legal or not we have some pretty stupid laws

9. Feb 18, 2010 at 3:55 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I've seen these on some trucks before. It's a good idea. I've also seen where people have bought LED tail/brake lights that go almost the length of the tailgate and mount them between the tailgate and bumper for added visibility.
    Nice write up! rep being sent your way.

10. Feb 18, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    It's a flashing red light in the rear of your vehicle. It's as if you tapped your brakes a few times before stopping. I don't see how they could rule this out and say it's illegal when it's definitely an added safety feature.

11. Feb 18, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Nice write up...I need that for the Houston traffic. Their's alot of idiots around here.

12. Feb 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    Reznor88

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    I don't see why it would be illegal since some cars come with this feature from the factory. Besides, you live in Hawaii, in the 3 years I lived out there I don't think I ever saw anyone pulled over aside from the bike cops on H-1 with their speed traps.

Lot's of idiots here too, hopefully it keeps me from getting rear ended by one of them. I guess the flashing has pissed at least one guy off though, every time I'd brake and it flashed he would flash his high beams 3 times. Seriously? A flashing 3rd brake is that annoying? Kinda made me wish I got the flasher that goes off every time you touch the brakes.

13. Feb 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    At least you know it's working. Screw the guy with the brights. Get a million candle power hand held light and when someone hits you with their brights again...zap their asses, in the eyes. There will be no excuses if someone rear ends you!

14. Nov 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    My next mod!
    Just ordered this, inflation raised the price to $24.95, but still well worth it to me.
    Worthy of the bump, I'd say.

15. Nov 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    :spy:Came in the mail just now. Good after~lunch~project! :D
    Could save the day in the Turkey Day traffic tomorrow! :smash:

UPDATE: Installed, works good. Flash is rapid, and goes continuous quickly, so I don't see how anyone behind would object. On the installation, shouldn't matter, but there was a blk/wht, should be neg; grn/wht pos. No clip holding reflector in, just the two screws and weatherstrip. I wouldn't pry it, just use steady pressure.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  16. Nov 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    Darryle

Darryle It is just a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    On a 1st gen, you should be able to use this green/white striped wire in this foam covered plug located in the kick panel above the fuse box:

IMG_4418_zps6c9d18bd_931bde234f0bff61eea20c77e5e8714c5aae4402.jpg

The 1st gen harness is not accessible from the exterior of the light. I had to remove my headliner and all of the trim panels just to be able to remove my 3rd brake light housing to install my satellite antenna.

This is on my to do list.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  17. Nov 26, 2014 at 5:36 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:

On the under dash location of the grn/wht, I wonder if you'd wind up with all 3 brake lights flashing?
    There should be a wiring diagram somewhere..? I need to get a real owners manual! Haynes or.....? Anyone....?

18. Nov 27, 2014 at 5:06 AM
    Darryle

Darryle It is just a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    That harness goes to the 3rd brake light and dome light. I disconnected it and the rear brake lights still worked

19. Mar 10, 2019 at 9:35 AM
    JGO

JGO Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Central Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '14, 4 Cyl, A/T, Silver A/C
    I don't know if are still on the forum, if so, I have to thank you for you pictures, write up and helpful hints.

Products Discussed in

To Top