Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Flashing 3rd Brake Light - Write Up

Old 01-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
Flashing 3rd Brake Light - Write Up

So the area I'm living in right now gets heavy fog in the winter months and it often lasts the entire day. In an attempt to make myself more visible and also to avoid being rear ended by the tailgaters out there, I decided that a flashing brake light wouldn't be a bad idea.

There are tons of sites out there offering flashing brake products. I looked through a few and went with kahtec.com. I picked up the "Blinking Smart Stop - Delay Version" for $23.

Included in the package

The difference between the basic unit and the delay unit is that with the delay the brake light won't flash again if the brake is applied within 10 seconds. This is good if you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and don't want to constantly be flashing the driver behind you.

Installation of the unit is pretty straight forward. Take the two screws (torx 20) out of the brake light to remove the lens, set the lens aside and then pry the actual light housing away from the truck. The black sticky foam that holds housing to the truck, and I assume waterproofs it, takes a bit of force to separate. With a cloth laid down to protect the paint I used a screwdriver to pry the housing lose.

Housing pulled away from truck

The installation instructions, which can be found here, mention using the quick connectors that come along in the package to tap into the stock wires. The quick connectors are crap. I tried using them as the instructions said but had no luck with them so I just cut and stripped the wires like normal and attached everything. Useful info: the green/white wire is your positive and the tan/black your negative. As you can see I made sure to butcher the wires on the light housing side of the factory connector. If something goes wrong it's easier to replace the light housing portion instead of the wiring throughout the truck.

Cut up the part that's easier to replace
Having destroyed the black sticky foam upon removing the housing I was worried about possible leaking behind the light. I reassembled everything and then slowly poured a bucket of water directly onto the light. Took everything back apart to check for moisture and not a drop of water got through. I'm guessing that since part of the foam was left on the truck and the other part left on the light housing, they joined back up nicely to recreate a seal.

And with a quick test you can see what those driving behind you will now see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHClARS39CE

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns just let me know.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen some tractor trailers with lights that flash like that when the brakes are first pressed. I think its a great idea.

We train our drivers to put on their 4 way flashers when coming around a corner and a traffic ahead is backing up and the driver will need to come to a complete stop.

A flashing brake light gets people's attention much faster than a solid light.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Slaughtering goats
emtlibby will become famous soon enough
emtlibby's Tacoma Gallery
Will that flasher work with LED's or not enough load?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtlibby View Post
I'm not sure, you might want to shoot the company an email. Or for the low low price of $23.95 you could be a guinea pig for the masses. Either way, post it up if you find out.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting! If your not aware of it Volvo had this idea in one of there cars third light setup on their wagons. Safety first...excellent idea....
Old 02-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtlibby View Post
I have it on mine with LEDs, it works flawlessly.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #9
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen these on some trucks before. It's a good idea. I've also seen where people have bought LED tail/brake lights that go almost the length of the tailgate and mount them between the tailgate and bumper for added visibility.
Nice write up! rep being sent your way.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
is this legal? jw looks good but idk about down here if thats legal or not we have some pretty stupid laws
It's a flashing red light in the rear of your vehicle. It's as if you tapped your brakes a few times before stopping. I don't see how they could rule this out and say it's illegal when it's definitely an added safety feature.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up...I need that for the Houston traffic. Their's alot of idiots around here.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #12

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
is this legal? jw looks good but idk about down here if thats legal or not we have some pretty stupid laws
I don't see why it would be illegal since some cars come with this feature from the factory. Besides, you live in Hawaii, in the 3 years I lived out there I don't think I ever saw anyone pulled over aside from the bike cops on H-1 with their speed traps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwatertaco View Post
Nice write up...I need that for the Houston traffic. Their's alot of idiots around here.
Lot's of idiots here too, hopefully it keeps me from getting rear ended by one of them. I guess the flashing has pissed at least one guy off though, every time I'd brake and it flashed he would flash his high beams 3 times. Seriously? A flashing 3rd brake is that annoying? Kinda made me wish I got the flasher that goes off every time you touch the brakes.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznor88 View Post
I don't see why it would be illegal since some cars come with this feature from the factory. Besides, you live in Hawaii, in the 3 years I lived out there I don't think I ever saw anyone pulled over aside from the bike cops on H-1 with their speed traps.

Lot's of idiots here too, hopefully it keeps me from getting rear ended by one of them. I guess the flashing has pissed at least one guy off though, every time I'd brake and it flashed he would flash his high beams 3 times. Seriously? A flashing 3rd brake is that annoying? Kinda made me wish I got the flasher that goes off every time you touch the brakes.
At least you know it's working. Screw the guy with the brights. Get a million candle power hand held light and when someone hits you with their brights again...zap their asses, in the eyes. There will be no excuses if someone rear ends you!