Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Cheap 4X4 Switch Illumination - Step By Step Write-up

Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesfarm View Post
Scooter,
Do you had a dwg of the dimensions for your board ? I was making a Autocad dwg of it, but it would be easier if you already made a dwg that had dimensions.
I have an easier way than that!!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #23
mikesfarm is on a distinguished road
mikesfarm's Tacoma Gallery
I have access to a pcb mill (LPKF) and wanted to make myself a copy, did not want to compete with you or take business from you. I will take my switch apart and measure.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #24
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesfarm View Post
I have access to a pcb mill (LPKF) and wanted to make myself a copy, did not want to compete with you or take business from you. I will take my switch apart and measure.
I'm not selling these, so no worries about competing with me for business. I wrote this write-up for those who have the skills to do it themselves. The dimensions are in the write-up. I also PM'ed you the dimensions. Have fun with it.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #25
mikesfarm is on a distinguished road
mikesfarm's Tacoma Gallery
It will be a while before I get time to build and install my board, but thought I would share a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap 4X4 Switch Illumination - Step By Step Write-up-led-board.jpg  
Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #27
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I like the ingenuity!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #28
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
I like the ingenuity!
Yah, there are easier way to do this, like buying the light or the circuit board. But this is way more fun for those of us who want bragging rights of doing it from scratch.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #29
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Yah, there are easier way to do this, like buying the light or the circuit borat. But this is way more fun for those of us who want bragging rights of doing it from scratch.
Agreed
Old 11-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #30
showpare is on a distinguished road

showpare's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting how to get the HVAC control out. I bought a board/kit from Tacoma4X4.com. Will do the upgrade this weekend.

Did the upgrade using rcbs204's board and a combination Tacoma4X4.com pdf instructions and pictures here. Tied red and white into the strain relief of green/white and green, respectively. My 4X4 dial is LIT! and it looks stock!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #31
samsquamch1981 is on a distinguished road

samsquamch1981's Tacoma Gallery
have you seen the 2014 model yet? The new design prevents the hi and low lettering from becoming lit up. Only the arrow indicator is capable of getting lit....Any thoughts on engineering a way to fix this? or maybe retrofitting an older 4wd switch in it? It just really bothers me that this important switch is not illuminated.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap 4X4 Switch Illumination - Step By Step Write-up-photo.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #32
Canadian Member

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquamch1981 View Post
have you seen the 2014 model yet? The new design prevents the hi and low lettering from becoming lit up. Only the arrow indicator is capable of getting lit....Any thoughts on engineering a way to fix this? or maybe retrofitting an older 4wd switch in it? It just really bothers me that this important switch is not illuminated.
I haven't seen the new switch. Is the "2H", "4H" and "4L" not translucent? That would suck. Why would Toyota not light up this switch is beyond me. I always thought that the newer models may get an illuminated switch. To make the characters opaque seems like a step backwards.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #33

It really does seem a step backwards. I may have figured out something to possibly get some light for the gear. I'm going to place an led in the knob and drill out a small portion of it to make a tiny flashlight. The knob will be illuminated and there will be a little light thrown through the hole for the drive gear...I think it's the only way to do it.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #34
Canadian Member

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It really does seem a step backwards. I may have figured out something to possibly get some light for the gear. I'm going to place an led in the knob and drill out a small portion of it to make a tiny flashlight. The knob will be illuminated and there will be a little light thrown through the hole for the drive gear...I think it's the only way to do it.
That sounds ingenious. You may consider putting a small LED right in the hole with just the tip sticking out, if you have the room. I hope it all works out, and if it does, it will be simpler, because you wouldn't need a circuit board. Show us pictures when you're done.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
That sounds ingenious. You may consider putting a small LED right in the hole with just the tip sticking out, if you have the room. I hope it all works out, and if it does, it will be simpler, because you wouldn't need a circuit board. Show us pictures when you're done.

Thank you..I sure will post pics once completed...I have to install some led's in my cupholder and the tray behind the cupholder as well...It will be one interesting wiring day....I'm trying to get my hands on a "practice knob" to test out which led I'll use and how it's gonna be inserted before I drill into mine...
Old 01-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #36
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you..I sure will post pics once completed...I have to install some led's in my cupholder and the tray behind the cupholder as well...It will be one interesting wiring day....I'm trying to get my hands on a "practice knob" to test out which led I'll use and how it's gonna be inserted before I drill into mine...
You can alternatively buy a 4th gen 4Runner V6 4x4 knob which can be wired to light up and fits in our 12+ 4x4 switch spots. Someone made a post a long time ago about it and another user posted again about it a couple days ago in 2nd gen section. Only thing is the switch is silver so will not match your black siding.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
You can alternatively buy a 4th gen 4Runner V6 4x4 knob which can be wired to light up and fits in our 12+ 4x4 switch spots. Someone made a post a long time ago about it and another user posted again about it a couple days ago in 2nd gen section. Only thing is the switch is silver so will not match your black siding.

I'll have to search up the posts to see that.. Thank you. Is the 4runner switch a direct fit replacement? I spoke to a toyota dealership a few weeks ago and they said it the part would not fit....But they always tell you things like that because they don't want any warranty issues.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #38
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll have to search up the posts to see that.. Thank you. Is the 4runner switch a direct fit replacement? I spoke to a toyota dealership a few weeks ago and they said it the part would not fit....But they always tell you things like that because they don't want any warranty issues.
Yes its a direct fit. I'll find the threads on it and post the links in a second.

Original thread I saw for actually using the 4Runner switch: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...or-switch.html

Original walkthrough thread for 05-11 Tacomas (same procedure, but just use the 4Runner switch instead of gutting it): http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...wd-switch.html

Most recent thread on it (he gives a nice rundown of what you need to do): http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...itch-woes.html

And finally link to switch at Camelback Toyota, ($76.61) or Part #84724-35020 if you want to buy elsewhere: http://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota....ch/84724-35020
Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #39

Thanks man. I'll definitely check it out. As long as it fits into a 14 4cyl 2.7 L, i'll order one..I saw one already illuminated (same switch Number) for $90 on some Website....Is your switch illuminated?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #40
Negative Ghostrider

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks man. I'll definitely check it out. As long as it fits into a 14 4cyl 2.7 L, i'll order one..I saw one already illuminated (same switch Number) for $90 on some Website....Is your switch illuminated?
It should definitely fit since 12+ all have same 4x4 switch. 4Runner switch comes ready with bulb and everything if that is what you are referring to. Just needs wiring into harness. My switch isn't illuminated. I want to get around to doing this exact mod, but haven't gotten around to it yet.