Notices

06 Instrument panel dimmer switch

Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Eazyrider is on a distinguished road
Navy: Retired
Name: Dan
Eazyrider's Tacoma Gallery
06 Instrument panel dimmer switch

How do you remove the instrument dash board dimmer switch on a 2006 Tacoma. Once I remove it, how do I check to see if it is working properly with a tester. I've already checked all the fuses and all look ok.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
What is wrong with your instrument cluster? Doesn't light up? No gauges working? Won't dim / brighten? Here is a troubleshooting guide.

If you just want to test the "Light Control Rheostat" (dimmer switch) then read this guide. You will need a multi meter to test the voltage.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Unhappy 06 instrument panel dimmer switch

The tach, speedometer, temp, oil, clock, radio all work fine. What is happening is the illumination bulbs aren't working (temp control dials, radio controls). All the small bulbs on the center console are out. Checked all the fuses (good), dimmer switch works fine on the speedometer and stuff, just not the center console. Hope my explanation isn't too confusing. Looking at the wiring diagram, it seems that the dash dimmer switch has two different functions. One for the speedometer area and one for the center dash area. How do I remove the dimmer switch to test it without scratching my dash up. HELP ME PLEEEZE!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the factory service manual.

You can read how to take apart almost everything.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
Thanks "db67fm"...this will help out a heap and I've got the answer to my question.