1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone know pa inspection laws?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by kjf216, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Jan 14, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    ok so i mounted a cheap set of fog lights under my bumper as aux/ back up lights. so i went to add a switch so i could turn them on when ever and in the process i screwed something up the shifter locked, lost the heater and turn signals so i went to the dealer and they helped me figure out i shorted out on something and poped a fuse.

but anyway back on topic while there the guys that was helping me said he thinks under pa law the lights r illegal he said he thought one would be ok but not two, anyone know the truth about this?

also i have been planning to do a HID retro anyone know if a retro would pass inspection in pa?

2. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    BWro

BWro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any aux lighting on the front of a vehicle must be atleast, if i remember correcrly, 26 inches apart from center, tied into the high beams and covered.
    As for the HID retro... no idea. I only check to see if all the lighting works, not how bright the are.

3. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    my lights are in the rear of the truck and only trigger in reverse

4. Jan 15, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I know from past history they must be tied into the high beams and kept covered.

5. Jan 15, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Try searching your state statues- There is the only place you'll find a definitive answer.

6. Jan 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    BWro

BWro Well-Known Member

Member:
    i have my state and emissions. there is nothing stated in our guidelines that state anything about HID's. (i checked into this today) As long as your low/high beams, turn, stop lights and 3rd brake are working properly. it will pass that part of the inspection. As for fog or after market lighting, i could care less when i inspect within reason....with the exception of lights on a roll bar, thats to obvious and a State Trooper will nail you...and me.

7. Jan 15, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    so basicly i should come see you next year lol thanks for looking for me is there anything in the book about bumper mounted rear facing lights?

8. Jan 15, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    BWro

BWro Well-Known Member

Member:
    as long as they are wired into the reverse circuit, no. as for a aux switch to activate them with out being in reverese.....i know nothing;)

9. Jan 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    so what part of philly you in i used to go to school at drexel and i live just outside philly by the air port

10. Jan 15, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    BWro

BWro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Im in ne philly, near the ne airport

11. Jan 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I don't have any clue about rear lights....

Front lights have to be apart 20" center to center. If they are close together, they need to be covered. I've personally never had to worry about this. The only covers I've ever had were the plastic cages that come with the PIAA's.

Fog lights on with low beams
    Driving lights on with hi beams

If you plan on wiring any lighting (front) indepedantly of the hi/lo beams (illegally in PA) - I'd put a fuse or plug somewhere that you can reach it. Because...for inspection, you can disconnect the power to those aftermarket lights and they can't fail you.

Products Discussed in

To Top