1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tiny fabrication question.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bearskill, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Jan 15, 2010 at 4:16 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Ok, Im mounting some KC Slimlights onto a roof basket. The front bar of the roof basket is 1" tubing. I drilled some holes and mounted the lights. Looks perfect! But the 1" tubing is REALLY thin. It just bearly started to squish when I tightened the mounts down. HOW do I renforce the 1" tubing and still use the same holes? Anyone?

2. Jan 15, 2010 at 4:23 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    If it's just lights that you're mounting, you don't need much strength. Just get the bolts snug without crushing the tube. Fabricating some kind of reinforcing collar would be unnecessary and difficult in my opinion.

If you could use a hose clamp type mount it would spread the pressure out but it would not be as clean looking and you mentioned you already have holes anyway.

3. Jan 15, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    How strong of a fix do you want?

If the tube bent while tightening the bolt - then you might have problems (over time) with vibrations wearing away at the holes and might cause the lights to flop around. Atleast, that's what I picture happening.... So, strengthening the area is a very good idea!

My first thoughts were, finding some steal tubing that has an I.D. (inner diamter) the same as the O.D.(outter diamter) of the basket tube. Cut pieces 2-3" in length and cut it length-wise (two sleaves), drill holes in it and line it up (crading the basket tube) with the holes on the tube. It should stay in place after you bolt the lights on - however - you might wanna either put hose clamps, locking collars, or have the sleaves (not the basket) welded to prevent side to side shifting. You still might have vibration issues but not as much without it. The whol idea with the sleaves will disperse the pressure of the tightening the bolt.

My other thought is..... Make something else to mount the lights to. Because afterall, that thin tubing is now supporting the weight of the lights (not designed to do that) and by adding structural pieces will add more weight.

Do you have any pictures of the basket? Does it have any strong structural steal on it anywhere?

How about something like this?
    http://www.carr.com/lightbars.asp

4. Jan 15, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    Bearskill

Bearskill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    I cant post any pics right now due to me being online via my PS3. (Freaks out when I try to load a pic) But your sleeve idea is what Im thinking as well. Thanks for the input!

Products Discussed in

To Top