Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Tiny fabrication question.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Tiny fabrication question.

Ok, Im mounting some KC Slimlights onto a roof basket. The front bar of the roof basket is 1" tubing. I drilled some holes and mounted the lights. Looks perfect! But the 1" tubing is REALLY thin. It just bearly started to squish when I tightened the mounts down. HOW do I renforce the 1" tubing and still use the same holes? Anyone?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
If it's just lights that you're mounting, you don't need much strength. Just get the bolts snug without crushing the tube. Fabricating some kind of reinforcing collar would be unnecessary and difficult in my opinion.

If you could use a hose clamp type mount it would spread the pressure out but it would not be as clean looking and you mentioned you already have holes anyway.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
How strong of a fix do you want?

If the tube bent while tightening the bolt - then you might have problems (over time) with vibrations wearing away at the holes and might cause the lights to flop around. Atleast, that's what I picture happening.... So, strengthening the area is a very good idea!

My first thoughts were, finding some steal tubing that has an I.D. (inner diamter) the same as the O.D.(outter diamter) of the basket tube. Cut pieces 2-3" in length and cut it length-wise (two sleaves), drill holes in it and line it up (crading the basket tube) with the holes on the tube. It should stay in place after you bolt the lights on - however - you might wanna either put hose clamps, locking collars, or have the sleaves (not the basket) welded to prevent side to side shifting. You still might have vibration issues but not as much without it. The whol idea with the sleaves will disperse the pressure of the tightening the bolt.

My other thought is..... Make something else to mount the lights to. Because afterall, that thin tubing is now supporting the weight of the lights (not designed to do that) and by adding structural pieces will add more weight.

Do you have any pictures of the basket? Does it have any strong structural steal on it anywhere?

How about something like this?
http://www.carr.com/lightbars.asp