LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

My FX-R Retro-fit

Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
G-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really nice

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
My FX-R Retro-fit

I have been researching and planning on doing a true retrofit ever since I purchased the Luminous Solutions bolt on projector kit last year. The time has come and I was able to test the alignment tonight of my FX-R projectors that are mounted to the stock reflector bowls. TheRetrofitSource.com is where I purchased all my parts except for the ballasts since I already had them. TRS offers everything you would need to do a retrofit starting from scratch or even upgrading a plug n play HID kit to projectors.

When it is all done my setup will be the following:

Bi-xenon FX-R projectors (clear lens)
Philips 85122+ D2S bulbs
Digital HID 55 watt ballasts
TRS H4 Bi-xenon wire harness
Apollo shrouds
BHLM

I chose the Apollo shrouds because they are chrome to match the stock reflectors and they are different than what some of the other retro-fitters on TW have used. They should give my retro-fit a unique look when it is finished.

Also, thank you to Matt at the Retrofit Source, Yosh2000, ElectronMan, Viet2100, and Rhino8541. I have PM'ed and/or emailed all of them at one point or another while learning about and working on my retrofit.

Here are a few pics of what I have done so far.......more will come as I get close to finishing.

Mounted and ready to align

Back of headlight housing - will have OEM black rubber grommet with finished product

Another view

Alignment 1

Alignment 2

Shrouds

Back of reflector
Old 01-17-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
Fienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant future

Name: Hieu
Fienoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fienoma
Secccy...
Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Good god that looks amazing. Nice job!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
sincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to all
sincitytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you need to aim them down quite a bit though.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
G-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really niceG-Sak is just really nice

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitytaco View Post
Looks like you need to aim them down quite a bit though.
True, I did just after I took those pictures. At that point I was just testing to see if the horizontal alignment was correct. I'm satisfied with the alignment and the next step is to seal the lights then mount and wire everything on the truck.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #8

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ TACO View Post
What headlight bulb size do those use?
They are D2S HID bulbs, 4300K color temperature, Philips 85122+
Old 01-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #9

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some updated pics. I finished the retro and now will have to spend some time aiming the lights to where I want them.

Sorry for the poor quality pics, they are blurry and the location is not ideal. As I mentioned before, I will get them aimed to my liking as time goes on.

low beam

hi beam

I tried to capture the color flicker here, but it just shows a bunch of glare with my camera. I think you'll get the idea though......

Old 01-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
damn dude that came out awesome!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #11

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienoma View Post
Secccy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlkT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Good god that looks amazing. Nice job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp192 View Post
damn dude that came out awesome!!!
Thanks for the compliments!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
lopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud oflopedogg has much to be proud of

lopedogg's Tacoma Gallery
looks like that would be a real whore to do... would you do it again?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
ElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ElectronMan's Tacoma Gallery
That looks great. I'm really liking how the shrouds turned out.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #14

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopedogg View Post
looks like that would be a real whore to do... would you do it again?
It is time consuming, but I enjoy it. Now that I have done it once it will be easier to do again. I suggest getting another set of lights so your truck isn't out of commission for too long. Luckily, I had my original set to do this with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronMan View Post
That looks great. I'm really liking how the shrouds turned out.
Thank you sir! Also, thanks for the advice you have given me. I'm happy with how it turned out. I just got back from my first trip with the lights (about 600 miles round trip) and they performed very well! There was lots of snow in the mountains and then constant rain in the Seattle area. No fogging or condensation in the headlights either! 3M window weld seems to be holding up.

Here are some comparison pics of my old projectors vs. my new set up!

Old set up - Gen 1 Plug n Play projectors with 6K bulbs (not good in wet conditions)

New set up - FX-R retrofit with Philips 85122+ 4300k bulbs all powered by Digital HID 55 watt ballasts

Old 01-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Glad to know my stuff works in the snow!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #16

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
Glad to know my stuff works in the snow!
Yes, it seemed like a safe bet since it is used to seal windshields. Quick question for you, did you mod your Gen 3 projector cut off shields? I saw some output/comparison pics on HIDplanet and couldn't remember if you did or not.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Lee
s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
is it possible to add HIDs to a first gen? i had them on my honda s2000 and when i bought my truck it sucked! its almost like not having headlights compared to the HID
Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #18

G-Sak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kvtak View Post
is it possible to add HIDs to a first gen? i had them on my honda s2000 and when i bought my truck it sucked! its almost like not having headlights compared to the HID
I have seen some first gen owners who have retrofitted projectors into their headlights. Others have just done HID conversions to the stock headlights as well. Check the following link out, I'm pretty sure some of the pics are first gen Tacoma headlights: http://www.lightwerkz.net/gallery/ma...g2_itemId=3248

Also, I can see how you would be disappointed with the lighting on the truck. You went from an S2000 which has arguably the best single beam projector HID setup back to a Tacoma with halogen bulbs and reflectors. The only way to get something comparable now would be to retrofit the Tacoma lights! Just another project to add to the mod list.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kvtak View Post
Here was my 04 that I had. I used e55 projectors at the time, but they actually are crappy projectors that I look back on it, but at the time I wasn't about to spend a lot on it. It was good for my first setup.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sak View Post
Yes, it seemed like a safe bet since it is used to seal windshields. Quick question for you, did you mod your Gen 3 projector cut off shields? I saw some output/comparison pics on HIDplanet and couldn't remember if you did or not.
Yes, I had the shield modded by stupidpig on HIDP.