Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

help me get through the blasted firewall!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
help me get through the blasted firewall!

I'm trying to get the switch to my new aux. lights past the firewall but can't find a good spot.

It's an 09 DC. Every wire bundle has a really nice gasket around it - I've tried the coat hanger but it's almost too thick to open it. I did manage to put a piece through, but came out through the rubber gasket on the other side, then the wire fell off as it tried to pass through.

So any good spots to pass wiring through? I'm afraid if I push through a wire bundle I'm just going to start cutting through them with the relatively sharp coat hanger edge.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
The boot for the wiring harness on the drivers side- instead of going through the boot with the rest of the wires, go between the boot and the metal with your coathanger.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
S-M-R-T will become famous soon enoughS-M-R-T will become famous soon enough
S-M-R-T's Tacoma Gallery
I don't recommend this as the wire will wear quicker and possibly short. If there is no room to force one more wire through any of the existing grommets then you can always buy some small grommets and drill your own hole.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
The boot for the wiring harness on the drivers side- instead of going through the boot with the rest of the wires, go between the boot and the metal with your coathanger.
I hate how easy you made that.

I owe you a beer. That's been driving me nuts for 45 minutes.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
What I do is carefully cut a slit in the boot. It acts kind of like... well, a vagina. Use a coat hanger (or antenna which I don't use) and use really good duct tape and tape the wire(s) to the coat hanger or antenna. It might take a few tries. I did this for my 4 AWG amp wire.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i stuck a pair of needle nose pliers as far through the grommet as i could and then spread them appard....gave me enough room to fit a battery cable through if i wanted
Old 01-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I attached the wire to a coat hanger and slide it right through the boot. It made its own hole.

Red wire for my bed lights. It goes to a switch in my console.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
you can use the extra black plugs on the driver side remove the rubber plug and drill a hole in the rubber plug and reinstall it then run your wire or wires through it...it lets u out right near the fuse panel area
ill take some pics tomm...
Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
Thanks guys. I just ended up shoving the hanger through the boot, a la vagina method. Seems to work.

Trying to get the last little bit done - connecting the power and headlights.

Geez, you'd think it wouldn't take me 4 hours, huh?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-M-R-T View Post
I don't recommend this as the wire will wear quicker and possibly short. If there is no room to force one more wire through any of the existing grommets then you can always buy some small grommets and drill your own hole.
Wear from WHAT? They sit in their so tightly there is no way that vibrations are going to wear a hole in the insulation and short the wire, I don't agree with your theory.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #11
fibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant future
Name: roger
fibertop's Tacoma Gallery
my boot has a nipple at the bottom that can see if feel around. cut the end off this nipple and use it as a conduit for your wire. I think thats why its there
Old 02-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
S-M-R-T will become famous soon enoughS-M-R-T will become famous soon enough
S-M-R-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
Wear from WHAT? They sit in their so tightly there is no way that vibrations are going to wear a hole in the insulation and short the wire, I don't agree with your theory.
No, different boot then I pictured. This way works fine. I thought that you meant between the outer edge of the boot and the metal of the firewall.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
Tip for next time. Use the tube body of a BIC pen.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #14
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
Tip for next time. Use the tube body of a BIC pen.

aw man, great call, i'm doing that from now on
Old 02-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
jward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Aviation
Name: John
jward2331's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibertop View Post
my boot has a nipple at the bottom that can see if feel around. cut the end off this nipple and use it as a conduit for your wire. I think thats why its there
Exactly what I did. Works perfect. I have to admit though, I stumbled across the nipple and figured that was what it was for.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibertop View Post
Solved my dilemma.
Thank you!!!!

Well I thought my problems were solved. Got through the little nipple fine with the coat hanger but every time I try to tape the connectors for the interior switch and pull them through they slide off the hanger. Driving me NUTS!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #17
ThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ThomasMore66's Tacoma Gallery
So, I'm having the same issue as some of these other folks. Yes, I searched through a bunch of threads. Maybe I'm a moron, but I've been trying the coat hanger method to pull my wire through on my 2013 and I just keep pulling the wires off. I have three wired with connectors (bought the harness for the LED light) that to to the switch. One wire would have pulled right through, but three with the connectors is a bit large. Other than cutting a little slit, can someone post a picture of how they solved this?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #19
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Or just duct tape the wires to a screwdriver, that's how I did mine