Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

auxillary lights

Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
mcaquatic is on a distinguished road
mcaquatic's Tacoma Gallery
auxillary lights

I just put new head lights on my truck. They look great, but are not the best for lighting up the road. I kind of want to use this as an excuse to buy some axillary driving lights. I am interesting in buying the IPF 968. My question is are these street legal to drive with as an additional light source? Or are they supposed to be used for off road driving only?

I have already been pulled over for illegal bulbs in the past and really do not want to deal with that head ache again.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
A dumb question, but how did they cite you for illegal bulbs? The cop actually get out a light meter, or make you pull the bulb out, or what?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on where you live. For example, in Arizona, I am allowed to have lights mounted on my truck (such as KC's). However, I am not allowed to use them while driving on the road or else it is ticketable.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, that makes sense - a street illegal lamp more than bulb. I think some states are kind of vague. A pair of headlights may count as "one" light, some states say 4 lights (ie, driving and fogs, or driving and Hellas, etc).

Wierd that he'd get tagged for the bulb though.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
I dont know the exact manufacturer of the bulb, but it was a cheaper version of HID that a friend gave to me. I had them in my truck for three years with no problem. The officer that pulled me over for them said he was able to identify them as illegal since they had a blue tint to them. He said they were for off road use only Basically I had to pull them out and put the original bulbs back in to get rid of the ticket.

I really want to get this new additional set of lights, but only if I can actually use them while on the road. They look cool, but i dont want to spend that kind of money for a grill ornament.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
I called one of the stores selling the lights. They told me the box says they are street legal, but advised me to call my local police. Apparently even if they are approved street legal I can still get pulled over. When I get around to it I will call my local police station and post what they say.