LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID Differences, Rugged Ridges?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
HID Differences, Rugged Ridges?

Trying to figure the difference between these 2 HID lights. Both by Rugged Ridge, but different form factors. One looks like a halogen, the other is a copy (or, I suppose the same as) the Kragen HID.

Anyone try the "halogen" looking ones? I'm wondering if these are essentially a HID-converted halogen, or if it's truly been designed for HID's?

http://www.liveoffroad.com/product/6535/38
http://www.liveoffroad.com/product/6496/38
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Trying to figure the difference between these 2 HID lights. Both by Rugged Ridge, but different form factors. One looks like a halogen, the other is a copy (or, I suppose the same as) the Kragen HID.

Anyone try the "halogen" looking ones? I'm wondering if these are essentially a HID-converted halogen, or if it's truly been designed for HID's?

http://www.liveoffroad.com/product/6535/38
http://www.liveoffroad.com/product/6496/38
the second ones are the same as the kragens. They are designed for HID. The other set is also designed for HID. There is no external ballast. So, they specifically designed the housing to contain the ballast.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have something to back that up? I asked the same of an Ebay seller of these styles, and he wrote back that they're HID's put into halogen cases. Which, to me, makes it seem like they are essentially the same as making a Plug & Play HID light.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
I just cant imagine any halogen light housing designed with enough space for a HID ballast in it.