Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Blacking out head lights and tail lights

Old 02-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
rallsp12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ralls
rallsp12's Tacoma Gallery
Blacking out head lights and tail lights

i am looking into darkening my headlights or blacking them out rather since i have an 08 black tacoma. i do not want a solid black look where it looks like black plastic. i want more of the black smoke look where they arejust really dark looking. i know they make thin films to go overthem like tint. there are also just black smoke covers that go over ur stock. and also im sure they hae where u can replace ur entire headlight/taillight. if some of yall could please show me wht yall have done and different ways u can do this i would appreciate it so i can compare the looks and different ways. also if i do the head and tail lights ill probably do the fog lights but i dont have a lue what to do to darken the fog lights
Old 02-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallsp12 View Post
i am looking into darkening my headlights or blacking them out rather since i have an 08 black tacoma. i do not want a solid black look where it looks like black plastic. i want more of the black smoke look where they arejust really dark looking. i know they make thin films to go overthem like tint. there are also just black smoke covers that go over ur stock. and also im sure they hae where u can replace ur entire headlight/taillight. if some of yall could please show me wht yall have done and different ways u can do this i would appreciate it so i can compare the looks and different ways. also if i do the head and tail lights ill probably do the fog lights but i dont have a lue what to do to darken the fog lights
I say go with the BHLM=Black head light mod. Mine are aftermarket but its the same exact look and concept. Tail lights you can either smoke with a spray can or get some black housing ones like mine. For the fogs look up Lamin-x. They sell smoked viynl film covers that go over the fogs. I personally have the yellow ones.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
what exactly is the black head light mod. is that an aftermarket headlight?
Mine are aftermarket. Got some off of ebay a couple years back. But the BHLM is a "do-it-yourself" mod where you take off the plastic clear cover and paint the housing on the inside. I mean you can paint it whatever color you want but most people paint it black. Just click up top where it says "Mods & Tutorials" and there will be a link for the BHLM and how to do it.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
what do u think about putting the gun smoke lamin-x film over the headlights just like the fog lights? iuld that not bea lot easier. i dont think illl be able to do the BHLM myself. i see what it is tho.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
what do u think about putting the gun smoke lamin-x film over the headlights just like the fog lights? iuld that not bea lot easier. i dont think illl be able to do the BHLM myself. i see what it is tho.
Personally I dont like the full smoked-out look on the headlights but thats just me. Everyone has their own taste. Plus if you fully smoke the headlights plus the fogs, I think it will look to black you know? Cops might even have something to say. But I would have done the BHLM myself but I wasnt part of TW when I bought the aftermarket ones.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
what do u think about the watomi aftermarket headlights. those lookpretty decent. hey are for sale on ebay
Old 02-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
what do u think about the watomi aftermarket headlights. those lookpretty decent. hey are for sale on ebay
Post the link from ebay so we can look at them. I'm not sure which ones they are?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
and actually i found some "black crystalheadlights for 05-08 tacoma" on ebay. the are from epartsgogo. they look pretty good. here is the link. what do u think these will be like?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item4a9e2a018c
Old 02-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
and actually i found some "black crystalheadlights for 05-08 tacoma" on ebay. the are from epartsgogo. they look pretty good. here is the link. what do u think these will be like?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item4a9e2a018c
Those are the exact ones I have. I love mine but only problem is recently my driver side has been getting moisture inside of them when I wash my truck so I am going to take it off one of these days and re-seal it.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
T-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-rev's Tacoma Gallery
Those are essentially the same thing as the BHLM minus those have clear blinker lenses and side reflectors. You can either pay $120+ for those or spend $10 and do it yourself within a few hours. I suggest try it yourself, if you mess up up then you can always resort to buying those ones.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
and what color lamin-x cover should i get for the fog lights? to match the headlights...? and on the lamin-x.com website they only have it for an 05 tacoma and it looks lik its a plastic cover.... now a film
Old 02-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rev View Post
Those are essentially the same thing as the BHLM minus those have clear blinker lenses and side reflectors. You can either pay $120+ for those or spend $10 and do it yourself within a few hours. I suggest try it yourself, if you mess up up then you can always resort to buying those ones.
well i just dont trust myself trying to do them.. i live in gadsden, alabama... if there is anyone near here that knows how to BHLM please let me know lol. cause im not gonna do it mysel and i don know any places around here that could really do that kind of stuff.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well i just dont trust myself trying to do them.. i live in gadsden, alabama... if there is anyone near here that knows how to BHLM please let me know lol. cause im not gonna do it mysel and i don know any places around here that could really do that kind of stuff.
Auburn AL.... I do BHLM. Look at signature.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #16
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
and what color lamin-x cover should i get for the fog lights? to match the headlights...? and on the lamin-x.com website they only have it for an 05 tacoma and it looks lik its a plastic cover.... now a film
Lamin-x should sell the viynl covers pre-cut to the fog light size. Thats how I got mine. Even if it just says 05', the fogs are the same all the way through 2010's so you will be fine. Now the color is going to be up to you. Now if you are going for that dark color. There should be a light smoked and a darker smoked. Its up to you what you want.