Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Best Headlight Option

Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
bluerhino is on a distinguished road
bluerhino's Tacoma Gallery
Best Headlight Option

I'm looking to begin my first headlight mod on my 2010 DC Taco. I've searched and searched to find a poll or thread where people share there opinions on which lighting option is the best bang for the buck. Anyone care to share there opinions. Also, please add a link on where to purchase these lights. Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the gen2 projector lights...got em from amazon for 180. some people have said the ccfl halos burn out/leds fall out, but i love them and haven't had one bit of trouble...plus they look great!

Old 02-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
So do those lights improve your visibility? Or are they just for looks? I've been thinking about going with HID bulbs with projector encasements. So many choices!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
I did the BHLM about 4 months ago, then put and HID kit in. I have been researching the retro projector HID threads here on TW. I ordered a kit from theretrofitsource.com and will be installing next weekend. It is a little more money than an off the shelf projector, but will be worth it in the end (as far as output and function). Just my .02 cents.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Black head light mod if you want to keep a stock look.

Or go with the gen 2 or 3 projectors from eBay.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
I like the clears. I think they look good on silver and white Tacos.

Got mine from eBay.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Small town firefighter EMT
Name: Katie
yotanator's Tacoma Gallery
I really like mine that I got off Ebay. I wanted a unique look, and that's definitely what I got! I put them on back in September I think and no problems at all. I apologize for the bad quality on the first shot as it was taken via cell phone.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerhino View Post
So do those lights improve your visibility? Or are they just for looks? I've been thinking about going with HID bulbs with projector encasements. So many choices!
yea they're quite a bit brighter than the stock tacoma lights, plus they throw light way out there and cut it off pretty well so no one gets blind. i'm playing on swaping out the bulbs with HID bulbs soon.

only negative thing i have is the brights are that nasty yellow color like old school lights, plus the brights are difficult to aim...but who needs them when you have ample driving/fog lights?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanator View Post
I really like mine that I got off Ebay. I wanted a unique look, and that's definitely what I got! I put them on back in September I think and no problems at all. I apologize for the bad quality on the first shot as it was taken via cell phone.

I'm rockin these too. Only problem with mine is the leds back out, just haven't gotten around to sealing them
Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
I'm rockin these too. Only problem with mine is the leds back out, just haven't gotten around to sealing them
I looked at your pics looks good!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #13
Quote:

I really like the looks of the projector lights. What model or gen are yours? Also, with running HID's with projectors, what are my potential problems I might have? Is there a better brand of projector over another? Just trying to get as much info before I buy. Gotta be a smart shopper!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
I have these and like them a lot

However I plan to eventually do a SHLM (Silver), like Rocketball did. That looks awesome.
Like these aswell! What brand and style are they? Where did you get them?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #15
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I looked at your pics looks good!
Not too shabby yourself! How bout that roof light rack?

Quote:
I really like the looks of the projector lights. What model or gen are yours? Also, with running HID's with projectors, what are my potential problems I might have? Is there a better brand of projector over another? Just trying to get as much info before I buy. Gotta be a smart shopper!
Quote:
Like these aswell! What brand and style are they? Where did you get them?
Yotanator and I have gen II style and the others are gen III IIRC. Both can be found on ebay. Mine were all plug and play but the leds were wired backwards so even then it was still easy. If you're looking for a quick solution and easy, these are for you.

With that said, IMHO I feel like I would have much rathre just got with a BLHM and then get the HID kit from Slimcubby. Much more sense of satisfaction when you're done and if you're really good; do a retro fit. Either way HID is the way to go, it's like driving with daylight
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #16
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
Well if your going for output I would keep the stock ones and put hids in them the chrome housing allows the hids to shoot out in every direction which makes it alot brighter and with the projectors with hids its not as bright cuz the projectors concentrate on one spot IMO. I have the projectors with hids and its bright but my cousin has the regular housing with hids and they seem way brighter then mine.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
Not your average girl

Quote:
A buddy of mine bought the same ones I have for his truck and when he got them the headlight housing rattled like something was loose so he had to return them. I guess if you buy off of Ebay like we both did do a bit of research about the seller and make sure they have a good reputation.

I don't know a lot about headlights, I thought that the main low beam bulb was an HID cause it looks just like the HID bulbs in the vehicles I did my Ford Master Certified training on, but the headlight housing on mine says you can't use HIDs
Old 02-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well if your going for output I would keep the stock ones and put hids in them the chrome housing allows the hids to shoot out in every direction which makes it alot brighter and with the projectors with hids its not as bright cuz the projectors concentrate on one spot IMO. I have the projectors with hids and its bright but my cousin has the regular housing with hids and they seem way brighter then mine.
The only problem is your cousin is blinding everyone. The stock reflectors are not designed for an HID system. If you want to do it right do a retrofit with some high quality projectors that were designed for a HID setup.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
MANDINGO420 is on a distinguished road

MANDINGO420's Tacoma Gallery
Best Headlight Option-455.jpg i bought these from ebay and now one of them gets full of hummidity......
Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
The only problem is your cousin is blinding everyone. The stock reflectors are not designed for an HID system. If you want to do it right do a retrofit with some high quality projectors that were designed for a HID setup.
indeed