Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Problem with Hella 500 HID's

Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
Yamaha
Canadian Max is a name known to allCanadian Max is a name known to allCanadian Max is a name known to allCanadian Max is a name known to allCanadian Max is a name known to allCanadian Max is a name known to all

Name: Mike
Canadian Max's Tacoma Gallery
Problem with Hella 500 HID's

Hi guys,Having a problem with my Hella HID conversion.
I wired the lights into the Hella wiring harness, with a blade 20a fuse At first only on lamp would light up, After flicking the toggle switch (piggy backed fused by 7.5a) twice both lights fire up. The same thing happens when I switch Ballasts. whats up with this? Think I need to run a 25-30a fuse? Try different relay? I don't seem to hear the relay "Click" as loud as when I was using Halogens. All wiring has been tested twice now for proper grounds and power supply, I don't understand I even upgraded all connections with solder, and proper soldered connections .
BTW the HID kit is new as well as the Hella's

Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Yamaha
Canadian Max is a name known to allCanadian Max is a name known to allCanadian Max is a name known to allCanadian Max is a name known to allCanadian Max is a name known to allCanadian Max is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars0n` View Post
get it working yet?

im planning on doing this as well really soon.
Yes! I found out what the apparent problem was.
I Had extended the wires from the left side of the lamps, This is a no-no, Due to the high voltage?? The extension caused a drop in current going to the left lamp.
I moved the ballast closet to the left lamp and rejoined the stock HID wiring... problem solved.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
ok cool, you just used too small of gauge wire for the extension.

btw it would be amperage not voltage. in a vehicle its a 12V supply, and i think they draw somewhere around 4.5A so thats what you should consider when sizing wire
Old 02-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars0n` View Post
ok cool, you just used too small of gauge wire for the extension.

btw it would be amperage not voltage. in a vehicle its a 12V supply, and i think they draw somewhere around 4.5A so thats what you should consider when sizing wire

amperage your right..
Nice mod I would recommend doing it!

OEM Tacoma Lighting

HID Modded Hella 500 (6000k)
Old 02-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Yamaha

I think it was the FF It has a clear lens.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
cool cool. where do you have them pointed is it straight or off to the side to see the ditches? i think im gonna point mine out to the side when i do mine.

by the looks of the pic its straight. and is it a driving or fog light?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Yamaha

They are aimed straight ahead, but with this amount of light you could aim one straight and 1 off to the side, you'll be sure to see all of those moose we have problems with
Here's the lights..

Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
I'd try a new relay, I had the same problem when I had hella 500s, except it was that they wouldn't turn off sometimes. New relay fixed it.